RFID - not just scaremongering

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Hi there

While we don't have to buy these things from QVC, RFID protection (a Faraday cage) is a necessity these days, sadly. My car was parked in front of my flat, on the other side of the road, yet someone was able to access the vehicle. Fortunately I keep nothing of value in my car, and it's not on the list of steal to order vehicles, so I only noticed it because things were out of place. I was lucky, but do make sure that if you have electronic keys for vehicles, contactless payment methods etc, that you have them protected whether you are out and about or at home.

Gosh that must have been a shock but glad you haven’t lost anything

Despite folks saying those RFID card things aren’t really needed they way I look at it is your cards need to be in something so why not one of those plus I quite like the hard case. I’ve never been keen in keeping cards in a wallet/purse as every time you bring your purse out to buy something everyone can see your cards.

Hi there

While we don't have to buy these things from QVC, RFID protection (a Faraday cage) is a necessity these days, sadly. My car was parked in front of my flat, on the other side of the road, yet someone was able to access the vehicle. Fortunately I keep nothing of value in my car, and it's not on the list of steal to order vehicles, so I only noticed it because things were out of place. I was lucky, but do make sure that if you have electronic keys for vehicles, contactless payment methods etc, that you have them protected whether you are out and about or at home.

We have RFID pouch for our Lexus keys, plus we have a high end crook lock as well. RFID purse for me and wallet for hubby. We also have phone and tablet with Nord VPN protection. We also got a couple of spare holders from the police and a chain that clips to my purse and handbag . Ever little bit helps to protect against robbery.

Last edited:
Heavens what have we come to? I am the most suspicious person on the planet , I do not engage in social media, do not use contactless, have a car which no one would want to steal, do not have an intruder alarm, may well have soon?I moved from an outer city area where cars next to me were stolen & I had a burglary, had my handbag stolen from my workplace but now keep things very close to me, but am no longer in the thrust of working life So I can almost ‘close down’.

I have a Pacsafe bag and a couple of Travelon bags which I use when I am in a city (from Q in the good old days). Whether or not they will be any use is another matter but it’s a bit of extra piece of mind as I’m very nervous in crowds.

I've been using rfid safe card wallets for ages, since qvc started selling them (but not From Q, theirs were too expensive) and I've encouraged friends to get them too!
Re car security for contactless keyfobs, they showed how thieves can access cars with a computer and no key fob on BBC click, it has been a known security failing,

Given the 'backwater' I live in no-one is likely to use a steal information this way, but I can imagine that living in a bigger town or certainly a city that it is a necessity now. No whilst I may 'bemoan' (and I do), my home time, at least 'data crime' is not yet a 'thing' here!

I live in a lovely area that has been more or less crime-free for the 25+ years I’ve lived here. Luckily so far I haven’t suffered any ‘digital scams’ anywhere BUT crime has crept into a small housing estate about a mile away and I think it’s only a matter of time before it spreads.

So this thread has given me food for thought and I definitely need to invest in something.

Thanks everyone.

Nowhere and nothing seems safe these days. My brother lives in Kent and sometimes parks at the station carpark. Before xmas there was a few cars stolen -somehow the thieves had watched people parking and must have walked near them and cloned the key card. Of course the owners didn't report until they returned later to find car gone. I bought a protective key card wallet thing from Aldi for him - it was one of their special buys at the beginning of the year- only 4.99. Might be worth checking out - my Aldi has a "cage" where they put all the bits and bobs that didn't sell out. Keep safe :RpS_blink:

Nowhere and nothing seems safe these days. My brother lives in Kent and sometimes parks at the station carpark. Before xmas there was a few cars stolen -somehow the thieves had watched people parking and must have walked near them and cloned the key card. Of course the owners didn't report until they returned later to find car gone. I bought a protective key card wallet thing from Aldi for him - it was one of their special buys at the beginning of the year- only 4.99. Might be worth checking out - my Aldi has a "cage" where they put all the bits and bobs that didn't sell out. Keep safe :RpS_blink:

Sainsbury's petrol stations have them on offer at £7.99. Not as cheap as Aldi, but more convenient for some.

Latest posts

Back