Rhapsody Paraiba Tourmaline

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks again Meesho. When I opened the box pink saphire ring looked stunning esp the diamonds so sparkly and Saphire is beautiful pink. I was called from TJC at 5 pm regarding treatment. Was told by a gentleman that saphire was heated and all gems unless stated natural undergo treatment. So it's treated. More to add I took it the local jeweller fairly experienced diamond jeweller he said diamonds are about G in color and SI in clarity. He is the same one who graded some iliana as VS in the past. I bought 3 diamondnecklaces from him and he is very reliable.
Ambit of a perfectionist in my own territory I don't like highly treated stones everytime I look at it I think it's all unnatural.
U helped me to come to a final decision, it's going tomoro,
Paraiba Tourmaline might arrive tomoro it's been shipped.
Will let u all know
thanks everyone
also local jeweller said saphire was very slightly chipped may be true or may be not.
Interesting post Gemlover. I am really shocked that your Rhapsody diamonds are apparently not the grade that is stated to be in this range :eek: and if true this is a serious case of misrepresantation. As for the sapphire being heat treated, this is a very common and accepted practice for many gems and I don't think that should worry you overly, BUT a BE diffused stone would be a serious case for concern... Did your jeweller make any comment about the sapphire?? Of course it could only be an informed opinion as testing for this process is the only way to determine it. I wouldn't necessarily send it back on the basis of a heat treated sapphire because a non treated/natural stone of the same colour intensity would be virtually impossible to source and would be far too expensive to purchase anyway, but I would expect a price reduction in relation to the diamond grade.

Arrived late to this thread, what a lovely ring. I don't think I would send an item back just on the say-so of a local jeweller, even if he had previously valued something highly - he might have just woken up to the threat of shopping telly pieces! I would prefer to get it valued by someone like Safeguard and make up my mind then, or have you been put off the ring altogether now? Thirty days should be enough to find out about quality and treatments. Hope your paraiba piece comes up trumps.

Yes I agree Jacqualina. There has been so much well meaning info posted on gem treatments that unfortunately it is easy to become paranoid about everything we buy from the shopping channels, but you have to weigh it up with the cost of buying comparable pieces in the High St. How many of us would ask in a jewellery shop about treatments and even if we did, in 99% of cases the answers wouldn't be forthcoming, and even if they were, would we then disbelieve them and insist the gems are tested before we buy?? No of course not,and unless we were buying from Graff or Garrard (other very posh jewllery suppliers are available :mysmilie_61:) then there has to be an element of trust involved. I would imagine what is probably bothering Gemlover most is the very high price of her ring but again, that is something you have to try and compare what it may cost to buy elsewhere. The Safeguard suggestion is a good one.

I agree with pinkpussycat and jacqualina, for such a high end piece i would only take it to safeguard.
I fell in love with a platinum pink sapphire and diamond ring in Birmingham jewellery quarter, the sapphire was 1ct and a small diamond either side but it was £2399, the jeweller said it was 100% natural but without any paperwork would you take his word for it at that price? i know i wouldn't, what i'm trying to say is i would much rather pay shopping tv prices, if i love it i keep it, if i don't i return it.
I understand treatments can be an issue on high end items but heat treatment is the norm and i still believe the one in Birmingham was at the very least heated!

I do have a couple of pieces that are set with natural sapphires GC but they are vintage items, and although the stones are pretty they do not have the depth of colour of heated sapphires. When I get time to photograph them I'll post their pics down in the Drop for comparison.

Thanks PPS and everyone. First of all the wealth of knowledge you all have amazing and so very honest and best advice you give to someone like me almost ignorant of gems.
I totally totally agree with you all regarding local Jeweller I suspect they feel the threat of shopping channels at competitive prices. Not knowing so much like you all inspite of any treatments that saphire went thru it's a lovely piece. I will be honest with you somehow I feel put off and like to send it back.
Bought lots from TJC and read ur opinions everyday but bit shy myself to express my views. I will take my daughters help and post pics soon.
Bought Colombian emerald pendants earrings, kunzite pieces etc never had a second thought loved them and they went into safe no matter what treatments. I wore most of them on Sarees and col emerald cluster earrings were gorgeous.
Sorry my posts are long I can't stop writing. There is noone to share my gem madness btw family or other docs.
Will let u know about PT pendant soon
My local jeweller is a diamond jeweller and I don't think he knows much about coloured gems and he does admit that. Deep down I trust TJC for their quality of diamonds don't know why.
And am truly lazy to go anywhere to get it checked.
Ur wisdom and my gut feeling is plenty for me to decide on pieces.
Thanks again

Please don't worry about posting long posts Gemlover cos we are all bling crazy here and love a good old yak about our obsession lol. I am much like you, if I fall totally in love with a piece and can't let it go that is usually enough reasion for me to keep it, and as long as the treatment (i.e. heating) is normal I'm okay with it. I can't be arsed to trail the shops looking for comparisons and if the price is acceptable to me then that is the end of the matter. I know loose stones can be bought relatively cheaply but then again unless they are certificated you have to trust the seller's word on their quality, and again I can't be bothered getting them made up into jewellery, it's not my thing and I prefer instant gratification. :mysmilie_61: I do sell some of my pieces on purely when I fancy a change and it allows me to prolong the passion. :wink:

Sue thats so true if you love a piece you love it no matter what. My obsession is unbelievable this mng 11 am OTO col emerald earrings I bought them. Cudnt resist happened to be at home this mng my luck.

I do have a couple of pieces that are set with natural sapphires GC but they are vintage items, and although the stones are pretty they do not have the depth of colour of heated sapphires. When I get time to photograph them I'll post their pics down in the Drop for comparison.

:mysmilie_503: still waiting :giggle:

LOL You are a funny little thing, I'll do it today and stick em in the Drop. :tongue:

Little Squirt!! :hi: I'm MUCH bigger than you.....I'm a huge 5' 2" :tongue:

Jeez that makes me a string bean then cos I'm 5'7"!

Just getting back to this thread .......... at the end of the day, if somebody loves an item, knows what they've bought (and that for me is the key) and is happy with the price that's what it's all about.

Latest posts

Back