Right, Um, Yeah, Ok, Right....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think they live in a dreamworld where apparently we all have a capsule wardrobe with the same wardrobe staples - little pump, crisp white blouse, denim jean etc - so all we need are top-ups which Q is very happy to sell at a premium.

Nothing like my clothes, sadly, which are a total mish-mash.
Same here, which becomes even more evident whenever I try packing minimally for a weekend away.

I think they live in a dreamworld where apparently we all have a capsule wardrobe with the same wardrobe staples - little pump, crisp white blouse, denim jean etc - so all we need are top-ups which Q is very happy to sell at a premium.

Nothing like my clothes, sadly, which are a total mish-mash.
Analysing it life, in every respect, is a mish-mash* so our clothes fit in with that. My wardrobe is my emotions, the places I go, the people I see, the activities I do, the weather & everything else in my life in fabric. We live next door but one to what must be the most boring couple on the planet, known as the Jeffs. I never lose track of what day it is because I only have to look at her washing line to see the day's laundry. He wears navy polo shirts - pegged out on Monday, she wears white polo shirts - pegged out on Tuesday. Their underwear & socks are beige - pegged out on Thursday & they both wear the same type of padded jacket, the only difference being that hers is mid blue blue & his is NAVY. I'd rather be mish-mash than like the Jeffs.

*I'd rather say potpourri or assortment.

Since “retiring” from full time work, I work part time as a school cleaner.
I wish one of those stock phrases was “don’t empty your pencil sharpeners on the floor, use the bin! “
Or indeed “use the bin, not the floor” generally😞
Lazy teacher! I was a teacher, my daughter is one & our students followed our example about respect for others & their environment.

Analysing it life, in every respect, is a mish-mash* so our clothes fit in with that. My wardrobe is my emotions, the places I go, the people I see, the activities I do, the weather & everything else in my life in fabric. We live next door but one to what must be the most boring couple on the planet, known as the Jeffs. I never lose track of what day it is because I only have to look at her washing line to see the day's laundry. He wears navy polo shirts - pegged out on Monday, she wears white polo shirts - pegged out on Tuesday. Their underwear & socks are beige - pegged out on Thursday & they both wear the same type of padded jacket, the only difference being that hers is mid blue blue & his is NAVY. I'd rather be mish-mash than like the Jeffs.

*I'd rather say potpourri or assortment.
God I hate a polo shirt (yes you Mr L) especially on a female only exception is if she on her way to/back from a tennis match. It smacks of aga owning golfers, no imagination. What female wants to look like Rory McIlroy in Tesco or the coffee shop.

I generally hate sports clothes being worn when you are not actually playing said sport especially people who are total couch potatoes.

Hands up who actually owns a 'crisp white shirt' ? the last time I wore one was at school as part of the uniform.

I have tried, believe me, but they've either been too narrow across the back, and too tightly fitted across the chest, but sizing up makes the sleeves only fit for a gorilla. If you get the right size then the armholes are too narrow, and the collar doesn't sit well. I gave up years ago, and decided that a 42" bust is never going to look good in a white shirt - or any shirt come to that.

Hands up who actually owns a 'crisp white shirt' ? the last time I wore one was at school as part of the uniform.

I have tried, believe me, but they've either been too narrow across the back, and too tightly fitted across the chest, but sizing up makes the sleeves only fit for a gorilla. If you get the right size then the armholes are too narrow, and the collar doesn't sit well. I gave up years ago, and decided that a 42" bust is never going to look good in a white shirt - or any shirt come to that.
Me neither - I did have one and I ordered it from Q some years ago, it came with a pair of garish blue tie die effect leggings - The set was by Barbara something and wasn't cheap. I got quite a lot of wear out of the leggings to be fair, but together with the shirt it looked all wrong. The shirt was all wrong as it was "oversized" but all in the wrong places. It had a massive "Harry Hill" collar, was skin tight across the chest and body, and it almost came down to my knees. The sleeves had massive cuff turn ups. I tried wearing it ruched over a belt, but it wouldn't ruche because there wasn't enough fabric in the central part of the garment. That was my first and last dabble. I do have a lovely white cotton blouse though!

Last edited:
Funny isn't it, what adjectives are used with certain things....

CRISP white shirt
LITTLE Italian restaurant
NICE bit of fish
LITTLE black dress (I don't suppose the size 20 in my wardrobe counts)
NICE bottle of wine

Melissa, Marla's No1 fan, doesn't say stunning/stenning so much since we picked up on it. Wet Evie :LOL:

It always fascinates me how things stop being mentioned on Q once they've been highlighted here. I mentioned once on this site about them putting their money where their mouths were and actually selling a "crisp white shirt". It wasn't mentioned on Q for a while afterwards, but it seems to be creeping back. But I repeat - I do think they assume we all have the same basics in our wardrobe. I've actually got a white shirt which is as near to crisp as it gets. I bought it at a designer outlet (it's a Jaeger) because I thought it would be a useful addition to my mish-mash of a wardrobe and smarten up my look, so no prizes for guessing the number of times I've actually worn it - zero. It's hanging there as a nod to the CWS but what I actually go for are my comfy stretchy tops and generally stuff that doesn't need ironing. Each year I tell myself that this is the year I'll finally get to wear it but it just hasn't happened. So come on, Q, stop deluding yourselves.

Most of these suggestions are not set in reality, they're selling us an image that is more suited to the pages of a fashion supplement than it is to the real world. When I worked in offices, the women (even those in managerial positions) didn't strut around in crisp white shirts, pencil skirts and heels, and walk in with a designer bag hanging over the crook of their arm - you were more likely to see them wearing a comfy pair of trousers, flat shoes and an unstructured blouse or a t-shirt/cardi. I think the producers have been watching American tv shows for too long if they're picturing this, or gaggles of ladies sitting in coffee bars in their cropped skinny jeans, Breton tops with a cheeky little belt and a little pump on each foot! ...and come rain or shine, the obligatory pair of Raybans perched on top of their head !
Forgetting Covid for a moment - When they do have an opportunity to sell something that's based on reality - let's say a formal occasion like a presentation evening or a wedding, what do they come up with? A frumpy polyester dress that looks like a bird has shat all over it!!!
It's hardly surprising that a lot of these "wardrobe must haves" are exactly that - In the wardrobe rarely seeing the light of day!

Merry, to a large degree I agree with you; but in my 40 odd year career in admin - in property and the NHS, us girls who pounded the typewriters and walked the corridors to do filing, always looked 'smart'. Maybe it was our generation, but we never turned up for work looking like we were off for a jog or had just fallen out of bed. It was heels, suits or something similar, and we actually wore lippy - not the pasty make up free look for us.

Brissles perhaps we were the last of that generation. Up until working from home we were expected to wear a suit (in latter years changed to allow trouser suits yeah!) . some were wFH and for the few of us who were in the doors were locked to the public so we dressed down a bit. Now that we are back it’s less suits and more smart trousers, smart shoes and a Building society type blouse with one or two wearing smart dresses. NO TRAINERS or jeans.

I think that is a disappearing breed. My niece is head of something or other in IT and goes to work in jeans that look as if they've seen better days and a crumpled top, both of which have expensive/designer labels, and the unibiquitous trainers. She explained to me that this is how they all dress, unless there's a meeting with clients or somewhere they're more on show.

Long gone are the days when Mr C was told to wear a [presumably also "crisp"] white shirt to work. He spends most of his time now pottering around in Aldi work gear. In any case, who's seen sales people on QVC wearing a "crisp white shirt"? No, me neither.

Well, I still like professional people that I may have to deal with, to look well put together - ie a suit on a solicitor / doctor / bank, building soc manager or anyone who knocks on my door and wants to sell me something. I don't care how many degrees they have to their name, an open neck shirt with jeans and trainers doesn't cut the mustard. Have they all forgotten that "first impressions count ?"

Before I retired I was visiting companies and was aways considered what I was wearing just as I had throughout my career.It always struck me how casual the younger employees were dressed, jeans were the norm.How old school I must have seemed but it was ingrained within me to ‘dress smart’.

Latest posts

Back