Ruth Langsford TSV 18/09/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Don't fret Silver, I must have been on about 9 or 10 cruises and not once have I been at the Captain's Dinner table. The only stuff I have taken on a cruise that were bought on QVC are Dreamkeeper beaded ponchos and velvet burned out jackets - which will never grace the inside of a charity shop. Summer trousers are courtesy of Bon Marche, M & S tee shirts, a couple of catalogue evening dresses and linen tops by Sahara. The thought of wearing sweaty poly/elastene to hot countries is definitely a no no.

Yes, Suki, a lot of Jules lately. I like their rain jackets, but I'm tired of seeing the striped Breton tops with flowers. They look like they'd be a tight fit, as well. I have one of Jules' rain jackets, but it's a bum freezer. Now, they're making them longer. Good idea, but I don't want to pay over 90 smackers for a new one.

Yes, Suki, a lot of Jules lately. I like their rain jackets, but I'm tired of seeing the striped Breton tops with flowers. They look like they'd be a tight fit, as well. I have one of Jules' rain jackets, but it's a bum freezer. Now, they're making them longer. Good idea, but I don't want to pay over 90 smackers for a new one.
I don't know about you, but I think the floral designs on top of the stripes makes the garment look really frumpy. A Breton top is a design classic, and imo can look quite chic. if I wanted something a little different I'd go for a red and white one perhaps. Start messing around with multi coloured stripes and flowers, then the "Chic-ness" goes straight out of the window!

I have been a Joules fan for years and have many of their Harbour & Stanton tops.The quality and sizing is now not the same, My latest Harbour is very long and at size 16 quite snug.I decided to go up a size when I ordered from JL, you would have thought they were a man’s XXL! Straight back, in those styles I would have needed to go down at least 2 sizes.No chance of ordering from Q with their P&P & return costs.

Yes B I think it is the Saunton I have, the original bought about 5 years ago is as good as new, washes great, fit good.The later ones are a mixed bunch both in quality and fit.

I’m another who has been bitterly disappointed in Joules sizing and quality and just stopped even looking now.
However I ventured, for the first time since lockdown , out to a nearby outlet where they now have a Joules and got a really lovely dress tunic type top. On the way out I noticed a top I was interested in but saw that it had a hole in the sleeve! i must admit that put me off visiting again if you have to examine every single bit of every garment you try on.

I too love Breton tops but you can get this style nearly everywhere, I’ve had from Marks, Next and Dunnes (for a fiver washes well) so don’t need to pay big money for what is basically a T shirt and in more exciting colours than Joules.

Lots of these, what I call "precious" brands - those that like to be a bit exclusive, tend to be skimpy on the sizing.
When buying "Together" I always have to size up at least 2 sizes, and I've noticed that armholes on lots of brands tend to be tightly fitting as well.

Years ago I was always the proper standard size - in fact when I was a teenager it was M & S who determined what size I actually was !! Nowadays, despite being a size 20 I always have to be a size 24 or even a 26 in their tops.

I indulged in one I paid £106 for mine a considered purchase I know but I am very pleased with it!!

M&S sell Joules I had to upsize from a 16 to a 20 in one of their stripey Saunton sweatshirts. It was over half price in the sale and its a nice style. still a bit skimpy imo.
Oh I didn't know that about M & S interesting.

A lot of the brands Marks are doing are on line only. They now do the likes of Jaegar, joules, Celtic & co. Hobbs, Sea Salt and a few others.

Lots of these, what I call "precious" brands - those that like to be a bit exclusive, tend to be skimpy on the sizing.
When buying "Together" I always have to size up at least 2 sizes, and I've noticed that armholes on lots of brands tend to be tightly fitting as well.

Years ago I was always the proper standard size - in fact when I was a teenager it was M & S who determined what size I actually was !! Nowadays, despite being a size 20 I always have to be a size 24 or even a 26 in their tops.
Marla Wynne's blouses are cut vey tight under the arm. (Maybe they are less so now. It's been a while since I bought one)

She's on now with a coTTon mix top...aggggh - but at least she's done something with her bonce - For the first time in yonks she doesn't look like she's wearing a moped helmet fashioned out of hair!

She's on now with a coTTon mix top...aggggh - but at least she's done something with her bonce - For the first time in yonks she doesn't look like she's wearing a moped helmet fashioned out of hair!
She's rocking the Kabler the Gabbler look.

With a few exceptions most of my clothes are second hand & when I buy fitted items from the 80s & 90sI have to buy one size larger. It's amazing to see the difference in measurements but quite sobering to see the contrast in quality, I've just received an M&S dress that the seller bought in 1984, it's perfect, really well made in a polished cotton & doesn't shout vintage.

Latest posts

Back