Ruth Langsford TSV 18/09/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I`m watching Mrs Maisel on Prime and I`m simply loving seeing the fashions and clothes in it. Bring back the 50`s glamour I say.
I have a book called Fashion Drawing by the illustrator Francis Marshall. He was a very talented man, during WW2 he worked for the navy's camouflage unit & afterwards his illustrations were used by many of the fashion houses & magazines, he also did many of the covers for Barbara Cartland's novels. This book is a treasure & full of the most wonderful line drawings of 1950s clothes.

I have a book called Fashion Drawing by the illustrator Francis Marshall. He was a very talented man, during WW2 he worked for the navy's camouflage unit & afterwards his illustrations were used by many of the fashion houses & magazines, he also did many of the covers for Barbara Cartland's novels. This book is a treasure & full of the most wonderful line drawings of 1950s clothes.
I bought a couple of copies of The Dress by Megan Hess. I kept one and gave the other as part of a Christmas gift. I paid around £4.99 apiece for them from The Book People a couple of years ago. I notice it`s over a tenner on Amazon. It`s a nice book, hard backed and easy to dip in and out of.

I`m watching Mrs Maisel on Prime and I`m simply loving seeing the fashions and clothes in it. Bring back the 50`s glamour I say.

Vienna, I know I've banged on about Velvet on Netflix, but with the music and fashion you would love it - set in a Madrid fashion house in the 50's, and oh boy all the fellas where suits !!!! (drool)

Ruth, Eamonn, and a load of Mail on Sunday readers sailing down the Danube?

I think that I will be having explosive diarrhea that week 🙄
That cracked me up!

My first thought was not sure which would be worse: trapped on a boat with a load of Daily Fail readers or cruising with Ruth and Eamonn, but both together sounds like hell on earth (water!)....

Think I’ll be catching D&V from you!

Lots of these, what I call "precious" brands - those that like to be a bit exclusive, tend to be skimpy on the sizing.
When buying "Together" I always have to size up at least 2 sizes, and I've noticed that armholes on lots of brands tend to be tightly fitting as well.

Years ago I was always the proper standard size - in fact when I was a teenager it was M & S who determined what size I actually was !! Nowadays, despite being a size 20 I always have to be a size 24 or even a 26 in their tops.
Oh no don’t say that, I always think of M&S as being generous in their sizing which used to be great for the self esteem!

If I have to size up it’ll be very depressing!

With a few exceptions most of my clothes are second hand & when I buy fitted items from the 80s & 90sI have to buy one size larger. It's amazing to see the difference in measurements but quite sobering to see the contrast in quality, I've just received an M&S dress that the seller bought in 1984, it's perfect, really well made in a polished cotton & doesn't shout vintage.
When I was younger and well-er, I used to buy a lot of vintage and I remember how a 60’s or 70’s size 16 equated to a (then) current 12...

And I’ve got 90’s Laura Ashley dresses in a 12 which are much more like a current size 10...
Sigh!

Surely the government could bring in clothing standardization of sizes so we know a size 14 bought from any retailer is an actual size 14 and not a huge size 10 or a tiny size 18? Particularly since we're buying more unseen, on the net or just taking the word of shopping telly channels? It would save everyone and the country a lot of money if they would just reset their machines to cut out exactly x cm or x inches across the hips, for example.

Surely the government could bring in clothing standardization of sizes so we know a size 14 bought from any retailer is an actual size 14 and not a huge size 10 or a tiny size 18? Particularly since we're buying more unseen, on the net or just taking the word of shopping telly channels? It would save everyone and the country a lot of money if they would just reset their machines to cut out exactly x cm or x inches across the hips, for example.
That's a brilliant idea. Unfortunately the government, & those who advise them, appear incapable of joined up thinking & looking at most of them they also seem unable to dress properly so have no idea that clothes come in different sizes.

When I was younger and well-er, I used to buy a lot of vintage and I remember how a 60’s or 70’s size 16 equated to a (then) current 12...

And I’ve got 90’s Laura Ashley dresses in a 12 which are much more like a current size 10...
Sigh!
Laura Ashley was the clothing love of my life & for decades the vast majority of my clothes were hers. Seams stayed straight, buttons never came off, hems didn't come down, the colours stayed true & the sizes were all the same. Her tragic death devastated me & as the brand floated on the stock market, with all the globalisation that followed, the special quality disappeared. I add to my collection from eBay & Etsy, buying styles & patterns that I feel I can wear in my 60s.

Laura Ashley was the clothing love of my life & for decades the vast majority of my clothes were hers. Seams stayed straight, buttons never came off, hems didn't come down, the colours stayed true & the sizes were all the same. Her tragic death devastated me & as the brand floated on the stock market, with all the globalisation that followed, the special quality disappeared. I add to my collection from eBay & Etsy, buying styles & patterns that I feel I can wear in my 60s.
Ahh you must look fabulous!

I didn’t know much at all about the lady herself, so I’ve just informed myself via Wikipedia (if that’s not inherently contradictory!)

Sounds as if the company was a real family concern with all 4 of her children involved!

Think they began selling children’s clothing when I was about 10 and I still own a couple of the dresses mum used to love dressing me (for special occasions!)
The cotton is amazing quality and as you say the little details and covered buttons and collars all perfect.

I’ve also got some of mum’s own LA summer dresses from back in the day.
So pretty!

I wore a lovely vintage LA dress to my school leavers ball which I can’t bear to part with, though I don’t suppose I’ll ever get to wear it again now 😢

We used to have a Monsoon outlet shop near us, so I have some ball gowns from there from uni years (sang in a small group who got to “work” at the balls and therefore attend them for free!)

Anyway they are also great quality and made of super shot silk etc (but were affordable).
The scary thing is my nieces now call them vintage and want to borrow them for their proms etc because they’re so cool...
They’re only from the late 90’s!

Ahh you must look fabulous!

I didn’t know much at all about the lady herself, so I’ve just informed myself via Wikipedia (if that’s not inherently contradictory!)

Sounds as if the company was a real family concern with all 4 of her children involved!

Think they began selling children’s clothing when I was about 10 and I still own a couple of the dresses mum used to love dressing me (for special occasions!)
The cotton is amazing quality and as you say the little details and covered buttons and collars all perfect.

I’ve also got some of mum’s own LA summer dresses from back in the day.
So pretty!

I wore a lovely vintage LA dress to my school leavers ball which I can’t bear to part with, though I don’t suppose I’ll ever get to wear it again now 😢

We used to have a Monsoon outlet shop near us, so I have some ball gowns from there from uni years (sang in a small group who got to “work” at the balls and therefore attend them for free!)

Anyway they are also great quality and made of super shot silk etc (but were affordable).
The scary thing is my nieces now call them vintage and want to borrow them for their proms etc because they’re so cool...
They’re only from the late 90’s!
You are lovely 💐 I generally look alright (at best). There are some things I'll never wear again but also won't let go, I'm not a hoarder but won't part with an item that means something in the same way that I keep photos - the proper ones. Vintage... to me the late 90s are like last week & I can't believe that I sing songs that are nearly 40 years old when I'm cleaning. I wonder if when I was a teen I'd have wanted to wear clothes from 25 years earlier. I hope this link works, the article is a snapshot of this wonderful woman.

Attachments

• Ruth TSV 1.jpg
    Ruth TSV 1.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Ruth TSV 2.jpg
    Ruth TSV 2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Ruth TSV 3.jpg
    Ruth TSV 3.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 188
Vienna, I know I've banged on about Velvet on Netflix, but with the music and fashion you would love it - set in a Madrid fashion house in the 50's, and oh boy all the fellas where suits !!!! (drool)
I can't believe I spelt wear - as where :rolleyes: . I'm doing this a lot I've noticed, spelling words wrongly. The other day I put "their not noticing" instead of "they're not noticing"., and this is someone who 'was' always great at spelling. Age eh ??

Ruthless did one of these tops with a foil pineapple on and 'apparently' it sold well, so here we go again. This is real supermarket fayre, and even the promo pictures of her wearing it is not inspiring. Another long sleever that will be worn pushed up to the elbows again - just make them with 3/4 SLEEVES !!!! its much easier. (I still wouldn't buy it though)

Latest posts

Back