Scart confusion - help please!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ArtDeco

Registered Shopper
Could I ask for some help from those in the know with technology? I don't want to sound like a stereotypical girly girl a la Jill Franks but I am clueless when it comes to these kind of things. (I'm 'only' 36 years old but my mobile is over 10 years old and half the numbers have fallen off it and it doesn't even have a camera, and when I see friends with iphones and things I find myself gawping and saying "Ooh this modern techbology, whatever will they think of next?" Are you sensing the territory we're in? :blush:)

I need a new TV as mine has a pink border to every image and is making a whiny noise (and it's not the shopping telly presenters :rock:.) I'm not interested in any of the things I keep hearing about modern TVs like 1080p or HD_Ready etc. I don't watch films or sport or connect my camera to the TV or anything like that. I just want a basic TV that I can plug my DVD recorder and Sky box into. Herein lies the problem - all the TVs I'm looking at only seem to have one scart, but I think I'll need two at least? I've looked into scart splitters and switchers but am a bit confuzzled about that too as it seems that splitters only allow you to watch either DVD or Sky, and that switchers have to be manually switched every time which sound like a bit of a faff? Apparantly according to reviews there are picture/sound quality issues with these splitter/switchers too? I think this may all stem from the fact that the TVs I'm looking at are 19" and usually used for bedrooms/kitchens etc and so are not intended to have lots of other devices plugged in? I don't want anything larger than 19" or I feel I'm being shouted at.OH and I watch v little TV (honest!) but would go barmy without the wonderful CBeebies to distract our mad four year old.

If anyone can shed any light on my predicament I'd be most grateful. If I could ask you to speak slowly and wherever possible in words of one sy-lla-bul

MTIA :handshake:

Oh no, baffled by technology!!! I am useless with tv's etc but have just asked hubby. He is engrossed in a car forum on his tablet, but did manage a brief response :rolleyes:

He says your dvd and sky box should have hdmi cables, especially if they are not that old, and that scart connections are old technology. He also said that he wouldn't bother with switchers/splitters (sorry, I forgot what they were called and on phone so can't look back!) as "they're sh*t" Nice technical explanation there :what:

I don't think I'm going to get any more out of him, but I wanted to try!! I doubt it, but hope that may have helped a weeny bit!!!

Btw - am with you on the no tv thing. People think we're weird, glad we are not alone!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not any help either as I am a tech junkie early adopting schmuck and am getting worse as I get older. If you're still in the realms of scart than hdmi advice won't be much help. Have you sky hd? If so it has hdmi and you can probably upgrade your box free. Not trying to be preachy but soon enough when your little one has outgrown cbeebies etc the documentary channels etc. in hd are fantastic entertainment and educational. How old is your dvd player? The more detail you can give the better and perhaps Deanos might be around to advise.

Latest posts

Back