selling a car

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

norfolk dumpling

Registered Shopper
I've just put my beloved mercedes for sale on Ebay (other half says I need a smaller car).and have just received a message from someone asking what price I would let the car go for They are offering cash for a quick sale The car is advertised elsewhere. Having looked at ebays t&c it states that items should not be sold to anyone by not going through ebay (if that makes sense). So do I reply and say a price I would be happy with or am I likely to be banned on ebay. I just want some money back in the bank after buying my new car so was just wondering if anyone else has advertised something and then gone on to sell it without the auction running its course. I've set it to run for 10days and this message came within hours of listing

Don't do it. Its a high value item so stick to what you know and trust through the usual outlets. If you do go direct, it is a breach of the rules (more in a bit) and you will not be covered by any subsequent fraud. Best reply saying that you are advertising elsewhere and provide a link to it and letting the auction run through to the end.

Although you will be paying fees, its best to avoid direct questions like this as more than likely they want a bargain at your expense. As you said, it its advertised elsewhere then let them go that route. Even though you can pull it if you sell it through another route, abusing ebay in this way can cause both you and the requestor to be banned. I also think that a lot of people think ebay is nothing more than a shop window and bypassing ebay is ok!

However, I have sold directly after the auction with no problems but at the starting price a few times and haven't been caught up by the ebay police! Needless to say, I've always achieved better prices by ignoring requests to end early and in the few cases, I've sold it directly though I always insist payment through paypal which gives a bit of cover. You can raise invoices through paypal directly to the user.

Reply back saying that you're going to see the auction out and then let them contact you. Most of the time they won't bid either and if it doesn't sell, you won't hear from them either. If they really want it then you will get an email which means they are still genuinely interested.

Thanks for your advice SD. This is what I thought but my hubby wants a fast buck (its my money anyway!!) but I will let the auction run til the end. It seems I have got 11 watchers already so I'm hoping for a bidding frenzy at the last minute. Mind you I will be very sorry to see the car go. Whoever gets it will get a good car at a bargain price

Latest posts

Back