Selling Vivitar cameras without memory cards

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Atticus

Registered Shopper
I've seen them sell these many many times.

Andy just mentioned that when you get it you'll need to add your own memory card? It doesn't come with one included. This is the first time I've heard this mentioned. Does this mean that when they sell these by default you need to add your own card?

I may be absolutely wrong - but if true then that is absolutely outrageous. Andy is the only presenter I've ever heard mentioned this...so basically they've been selling a camera which when you get home - wont work.

Can anyone clarify?

Most cameras have an internal memory which can take a few images, but most cameras do come without a memory card unless it is part of a package.

Most cameras have an internal memory which can take a few images, but most cameras do come without a memory card unless it is part of a package.

Ah OK - mine came with a 16gb one by default so I presumed this was the norm.

Fair play to Andy for mentioning it then.

My DSLR didn't come with any sd card, pretty standard but others have said typical Andy, being uber fair to the consumers.

My DSLR didn't come with any sd card, pretty standard but others have said typical Andy, being uber fair to the consumers.

Mine & my Mrs DSLR's didn't come with one either and they are needed as the cameras didn't have internal usable memory. (canons). I think its pretty standard they don't usually come with them.

Occasionally they do a camera bundle. Steve did one last night that included a memory card and a Kodak carry case (it was of course a Vivitar camera though).

Occasionally they do a camera bundle. Steve did one last night that included a memory card and a Kodak carry case (it was of course a Vivitar camera though).

I would like to see Justin Hazel sell the camera case. He could brand it 'the Justin-case, case'. TV GOLD !!

The whole camera without memory card issue reminds me of the printer issue shops had a few years back when a printer didn't normally come with the parallel cable.... so you'd buy the printer & get home and find you need to go back to the shop lol.

Thanks for clearing up guys - I genuinely didn't know if it was Bid being unfair - but looks like it's just standard.

Adam, I haven't had one, but Andy was very fair in describing the camera as 'basic', 'perfect for the kids' and as a 'back-up'. It was clear what he was implying...

Old vivitar lenses (use them with adapters on modern dslr) are some of the best equipment you will ever buy. The new stuff these days are no where near the same quality though (imo).

Old vivitar lenses (use them with adapters on modern dslr) are some of the best equipment you will ever buy. The new stuff these days are no where near the same quality though (imo).

The Vivitar of today is nothing more than a brandname of Sakur International who make many low end electronic products, including Polaroid cameras. The Vivitar that made really high end photographic equipment went bust a few years back.

It's much like the 'Mondi' range that is sold on Bid, it has nothing to do with the original company whose products were sold in Harrods.

Last edited:
The Vivitar of today is nothing more than a brandname of Sakur International who make many low end electronic products, including Polaroid cameras. The Vivitar that made really high end photographic equipment went bust a few years back.
Indeed, I remember when Sit-Up first sold Vivitar cameras you could guarantee they were sold for around £10 per mega pixel.
These days it's around £1 per mega pixel.
I got a Sony Cybershot 13.1mp camera and I paid almost £120 for it but not from them, you can't beat any Sony product for quality.

Indeed, I remember when Sit-Up first sold Vivitar cameras you could guarantee they were sold for around £10 per mega pixel.
I got a Sony Cybershot 13.1mp camera and I paid almost £120 for it but not from them, you can't beat any Sony product for quality.

There are loads of products on sale from a variety of sources that have a well known brandname but in reality they have no connection with the original company.

And shops too. Woolworths (which is now an online store) is just a brandname of Shop Direct, the company that owns Littlewoods.

Vivitar is one of the more curious ones though. It's a bit like badging a Vauxhall Opel as an Aston Martin :happy:

I do like the Sony Cybershots, they look great & the autofocus is really fast (on the two that I have tried). The zoom impressed me the most (x30 I think it was). I purchased one of them waterproof cases for my brother to use on his last year & he loves it.

Latest posts

Back