Shame

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Has anyone a comment on Prai Cosmetics and the woman who promotes the brand? Her sales technique relies on shaming women because they have wrinkles. She tries to make women feel unworthy because their skin has (naturally) aged. She demeans women and promotes self-disgust (if we allow her to.) Wrinkles and sag can only be permanently removed by plastic surgery; skin creams may plump the skin temporarily and they soothe and smell nice. That's why all brands say "reduce the appearance" of lines - not reduce the lines, themselves. Mrs. Prai makes me very angry. (She's on QVC Italy too, trying to make mature Italian women ashamed of their skin.)

Is it Cathy Kangas? I don't rate the Prai products myself, tried them, no effect. However, I have never thought she has demeaned people. She punts her products the way most of the beauty guests do - you've got wrinkles, you're getting old, you need this. I honestly don't think she comes across as shaming people but that's just my opinion.

CC

Has anyone a comment on Prai Cosmetics and the woman who promotes the brand? Her sales technique relies on shaming women because they have wrinkles. She tries to make women feel unworthy because their skin has (naturally) aged. She demeans women and promotes self-disgust (if we allow her to.) Wrinkles and sag can only be permanently removed by plastic surgery; skin creams may plump the skin temporarily and they soothe and smell nice. That's why all brands say "reduce the appearance" of lines - not reduce the lines, themselves. Mrs. Prai makes me very angry. (She's on QVC Italy too, trying to make mature Italian women ashamed of their skin.)

In response to your request for comments I haven't bought any of the cosmetics, however, their perfume 'Scent of a Woman' was my all time favourite. With regards Cathy I like her & agree with donna & CC about the fact that she isn't any different from anyone else when it comes to talking about the benefits of her products. How does she try to make women feel unworthy, demean them & promote self-disgust?

Yes, but they all mention turkey skin don't they? I'm sure I heard Andrew Bagley from Gatineau going on about that when his neck item was product of the month. As for all this "shaming" stuff, I mean, if you're old you're old, if you're fat you're fat, if you're bald, you're bald. It happens, it's not shameful.

CC

You are obviously a well-grounded human being. However, there are thousands of mature women who succumb to unprincipled manipulators who attempt to make them feel they are neglecting themselves if they don't buy their snake oil products in order to look younger. What is so ugly about wrinkles? Why is the word 'old' synonymous with 'unattractive' and something that should be hidden. That is what the Prai woman is suggesting. Better if she sells cosmetics that will make you feel good and look the best you can look for the age you are. Gatineau is more sophisticated and kinder in their sales approach, but basically a rip-off as well. I do appreciate your comments, Candycane.

They all spout a load of old bollocks and the day I take anything they say to heart is the day I`ll kick myself up the backside. Nothing in a jar or bottle, no lotion or potion will hold back the years and I agree to a point that they prey on peoples vulnerabilities but only because people let them.

I personally (and probably controversially) don't think that any of these expensive brands, or even the cheaper ones, can halt the look of ageing. We all get wrinkles and fine lines etc and, although you can improve the look of your skin by slapping creams on it, whether you look your age depends on your life style, staying out of the sun, drinking plenty of water and most importantly - your genes.

I used to fall for their hard sell and scare tactics but don't any more. I do use a moisturiser etc but as people think I'm 10+ years younger than I am, I take after mum who never looked her age.

Griz, you make a good point and I have many times succumbed to the sales pitch and paid a lot of money for wonder creams and potions when I have felt I do not look as good as I could or should. Over time I've got over it and almost accepted that I, like everyone else, will grow old and look old. Doesn't mean I want to so I get sucked into buying new products. I return most of them when I realise they are not the fountain of youth lol.

CC

I can't watch her and that's because I can't stand the patronising way she says "now gurls" and "laydees". She does however win kudos with me for her love of animals and the charities she supports.

I can't say I watch many of her presentations but I do know who the OP is referring to and TBH I don't think she is someone would intentionally wish to offend.

The only way to slow, not stop, the passage of time is to abstain from cigarettes, alcohol and sugar and yo yo dieting causes skin to stretch. All these creams do is moisturise, which all skin, whatever age and gender, needs. I would be interested to know your opinion of Judith Williams Lifelong Beauty. Her delivery is as emphatic.

Yes they all do that, QVC are the kings of shaming, they body shame when they want you to buy their shape wear, they scare you when they want you to buy their health care products and yes, try to embarrass you over your insecurities. I think the majority of us take every little thing QVC say with a pinch of salt and realise that they'd sell their own grandmothers if it helped flog their goods.

The unfortunate thing now is every woman and young girls are bombarded with tv/magazines ads of you must look like this because which every celeb is held up at the high of beauty. So-called celebs are used in ads for whatever face cream, 20-year-olds are used in ads by big companies for anti-ageing creams. The photos are photoshopped ever see Julia Roberts ads for Lancome? Young girls are doctoring their photos on social media before posting to make them look the same. All those celebs will have work done and by no stretch natural.

I remember on QVC AY pushing products by saying Cheryl uses this. Personally, that would put me off a product but I am not brainwashed and I will say though of us on this forum aren't either. Other women will be sucked in.

I belong to a Facebook group and a woman in her 30s went to get a free consultation on her skin at a clinic. She was pushed to get fillers and botox etc which is not what she went to find out about but was given a whole list of things she should have done. No, she didn't by the way.

I can't watch her and that's because I can't stand the patronising way she says "now gurls" and "laydees". She does however win kudos with me for her love of animals and the charities she supports.

I feel exactly the same about the prai lady, the laydees/gurls are like chalk on the blackboard to me... as soon as she appear my tv is off.I have never listened to her long enough to know what charities she support or of her love of animals.

As others have written most of us take the sales patter & hype with a large amount of salt. However, after reading the following words - "She tries to make women feel unworthy because their skin has (naturally) aged. She demeans women and promotes self-disgust (if we allow her to.)" that made me look at a number of presentations for similar products from other companies, I heard the same comments &, as with those made by Cathy Kangas, didn't perceive them to be demeaning.

I feel exactly the same about the prai lady, the laydees/gurls are like chalk on the blackboard to me... as soon as she appear my tv is off.I have never listened to her long enough to know what charities she support or of her love of animals.

I only watch videos on the website but have noticed that the number of guests, stylists & presenters who use these terms is on the increase & I would have thought that there would be director feedback to pick up on things like this. However, as there are people who talk about the most intimate aspects of their lives & appear to be allowed to continue in that way it seems I'm expecting too much.

Latest posts

Back