Shop Assistants with Tablets

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Old Man Steptoe

Registered Shopper
It always amazes me that lots of QVC shop assistants( I will not call them presenters )hang on grimly to a tablet as if their lives depends on it.
Male and female shop assistants are equally as guilty,it certainly makes them look so unprofessional,half the time I suspect they haven’t a clue about what they are trying to sell,even with the tablet in there hands.
Maybe its for emails from the adoring few who send them😂 or writing their latest book live on air.
My Crown and how it slipped part 3 of a trilogy 👑

Please do not call QVC tat peddlers shop assistants!
These vain, self absorbed, freebie grabbing individuals are not fit to lick the shoes of those who work in a bricks and mortar store, those who have worked face to face with the public throughout the pandemic, who risk being on the receiving end of verbal and physical abuse, which is at an all time high.
I am a shop assistant, I am expected to have a good knowledge of the products my company sells, (no prompts through an ear piece), I am expected to be well groomed, I am expected to be polite to everyone who walks through the shop door (no snide remark followed by 'just joking')
I am not expected to have a tablet in my hand, share private jokes with colleagues or talk endlessly about my family, holiday, my latest book, my balcony or any other sort drivel while serving customers.
None of the QVC tat peddlers would last an hour in a shop!!!

I wouldn’t have taken a king’s ransom and worked in a shop these past 18 months, it was bad enough having to shop along side the knobs without masks etc for half an hour at a time never mind all day every day.

They are t even hard working tat peddlers like market traders.

SusieSue, as a former shop assistant I totally agree with you. Many years ago I ran a wine shop in Tesco (ha ha ha I hear you all laugh and no I didn't drink the products). It was separate from the main shop and I built up a wonderful customer base who each came in every week for their tipple. The man who ran in and out for his vodka, the old lady that came in on a Monday for her litre of sherry and liked to linger and tell me about her life, the posh lady with a fur coat (in Tesco?) and a massive diamond ring that used to buy a litre of vodka and liked the fact that she could just chat as well as buy. Then the guys that came in on the weekend to buy trays of lager and a hundred more regulars. That shop was very successful. I never once told them of my divorce, my illness, my struggle for money, my holiday or anything else. I actually loved that job. The store got closed, I was made redundant and I had to move on to other things.

CC

Hats off to you ladies for standing all day dealing with idiots, and I'm guessing you're not part of the really young brigade of assistants who look at you blankly when asked a question, or take a swig from their water bottle - like I've seen at the till in Superdrug and Primark ! Is that even allowed ? drinking when serving customers ? something I wouldn't even have dreamt of doing when I did a stint in a mens outfitters.

I have always believed that everyone should experience working in retail; a demanding job that requires many skills, a huge amount of patience & teaches people the importance of good customer service. I have just come home after three glorious days in London, everywhere we went we had excellent service & I will write reviews acknowledging this.

Hats off to you ladies for standing all day dealing with idiots, and I'm guessing you're not part of the really young brigade of assistants who look at you blankly when asked a question, or take a swig from their water bottle - like I've seen at the till in Superdrug and Primark ! Is that even allowed ? drinking when serving customers ? something I wouldn't even have dreamt of doing when I did a stint in a mens outfitters.
I won’t use my inhaler in front of anyone!

I'm 64, but so unsurprisingly all of my colleagues, including the manager are much younger than I am but we all have the same standards of service.

We are allowed to drink at the till because in busy periods we can be standing behind the counter for four hours, talking all the time, but not in the middle of serving a customer and we always apologise if we have to have a drink before going on to the next customer, and wearing a mask for all that time does seem to make the mouth and throat dry.

If QVC closed down tomorrow most of the population wouldn't notice or care, can you imagine the outcry if all the shops closed?

As a shop worker for all my working from leaving school at 15 to retiring at 60. I can sympathise and agree with all that’s been said. I have seen and heard it all from being swore at to having things thrown at me. Those people on Q wouldn’t last five minutes in a proper job. Egotistic Z listers the lot of them.

As a shop worker for all my working from leaving school at 15 to retiring at 60. I can sympathise and agree with all that’s been said. I have seen and heard it all from being swore at to having things thrown at me. Those people on Q wo Q wouldn’t last five minutes in a proper job. Egotistic Z listers the lot of them.
Which is why they are on Q and hanging on by their fingernails. Money for old rope.

It`s a good job none of them ever worked for Woolworth as I did as a Saturday girl back in the 60`s. I did Saturdays and also school holidays and they were ever so strict but I loved working there.
The Manager had a wonky eye so you were never sure if he was looking at you or not. He wore a 3 piece suit, shirt and tie and had brylcreemed hair so shiny you could almost see your face in it. He patrolled the store like a mad man, pointing at this, touching that, tutting and in his wake would be Mrs J who was supervisor over all of us girls and women. To say she was terrifying is an understatement yet she was all of 4ft 11 " but had an expression which could freeze you on the spot and a voice to match.
We had to be in store bang on time, the only things we were allowed on our person was a handkerchief, everything else had to be left upstairs. We were told even sneaking one pic n mix sweetie would be classed as theft and we`d be sacked on the spot and talking to each other on the shop floor was frowned upon unless it was to ask about something store related or for a customer.
I remember doing a written test when I applied to work there which consisted of basic maths, weights and measures and what would I say to a customer in certain circumstances. Every morning before we started work Mrs J would inspect us and we wore nylon button up overalls which caused terrible static and made you sweat. Touch anything metal in store and you were literally shocked.
We were each given your own section, usually 2 of us together and you`d swap roles throughout the day. One of you would be on the counter manning the till and constantly tidying and the other would be up and down in the rickety wooden lift and bringing down stock or looking for something for a customer. The lift had wooden slatted doors and it creaked and groaned its way up to the top floor stock rooms.
The most coveted job in the store was on the music section. Each week a large poster of the top 20 records would be pinned up and in front of the counter rows of LP album covers had to be arranged alphabetically and woe betide if you put any in the wrong place. The customer would bring you the album cover and you`d find the record from drawers behind and under the counter. The record would be in a paper sleeve and you`d carefully remove it, check it was the right record and inspect it for any scratches or damage before putting it into its cover.
The top 20 was constantly played and on Saturdays there`d be queues of teenagers waiting to buy the latest singles. Whoever manned the counter loved being DJ and it was usually one of the younger trendier girls who knew her bands, music and latest trends who got the job. We were all jealous.
We had a proper canteen with a proper kitchen and for a small price you`d get a proper cooked lunch. Our cook and canteen lady was revered by all and she served up wonderful home cooked meals and fabulous puddings such as spotted dick or rhubarb crumble.
If you smoked you had to write your name on your cig packet and leave it in a box in the canteen. No cigarettes, matches or lighters had to be kept anywhere else, not even in your locker.
Once the store closed for the day you were expected to stay behind for a while and tidy your section and when leaving the building the Manager and Mrs J would be standing there watching you leave and no doubt checking that someone didn`t have a tin of Dulux paint under their coat or a pair of curtains under their arm.
Yes it was a disciplined workplace but it was also happy and we all knew where we stood, what we could or couldn`t do, what was expected of us and how to respect each other and the customers. We had some fabulous social events outside of work, for people getting married, leaving to have a baby, moving to another job, special birthdays and Christmas and even Mrs J let her hair down a little but was back to her usual stone faced self by Monday morning. I worked there as a Saturday girl until I left school and they offered me a full time job but my future lay elsewhere.

I agree with the statement “you knew where you stood”.

I worked for 2 people who barely allowed you to breathe. They were taken over by a bigger company with loads of managers, assistant managers etc - all chiefs and no Indians . It was terrible, if you were in the clique you could come and go as you pleased, if not they acted as if you didn’t exist.

I agree with the statement “you knew where you stood”.

I worked for 2 people who barely allowed you to breathe. They were taken over by a bigger company with loads of managers, assistant managers etc - all chiefs and no Indians . It was terrible, if you were in the clique you could come and go as you pleased, if not they acted as if you didn’t exist.
I totally agree, we all need parameters.

Latest posts

Back