sonic cleaner help please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

gemdreamer

Registered Shopper
i saw a sonic cleaner on gemstv earlier at £29, and it looked like a good pressie for my mum, but i don't know which gems can and can't be cleaned in it, which stopped my grabbing one.
Does anyone know which stones can be cleaned in a sonic cleaner? and which can't? my mum has a selection of different stones in jewellery, citrine, topaz, peridot, zircon, petalite, ruby, sapphire, amethyst, etc

is there a safer way for my mum to clean her jewellery then please? she's tried the polishing cloths but they don't do much to help clean the gemstones

Hi Gemdreamer

I bought one of these for my daughter and I saw it in use. It seems to have a gentle action and the bubbles were barely visible.
It cleaned her goldwork and rings very well. But if you are in any doubt, here is the link from Gems website as to the care recommendations.....you'll have to scroll down a bit.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Gemopedia/treatments-care.jsp

Folks on here have always suggested using a soft toothbrush and a little washing up liquid to clean ring settings and then dry gently.

I've recently received the new 'Guide to Gems...' and it has a page on caring for jewellery. I would recommend you all requesting
a copy of this guide, the layout is rather different from the previous ones and the first part is very informative before even
getting to the A -Z of gemstones.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner and, to date, have had no difficulties. GD - the pieces you have listed as your mum's should all be fine. As has been said, no pearls or anything soft and/or porous. I only use it if necessary, so as not to overexpose any settings to the vibrations and so far, so good. I think your mum could very likely be pleased with this as a gift. Gems website has a list of what you can and cannot put in the cleaner in the gemopaedia section. xx

Can recommend the Dave Bradford Banana & Coconut Oil jewellery cleaner which is available from Ideal World. Sounds nuts (scuse pun) but really works, particularly on gold items. For silver I use the Diamonique Liquid Jewellery Cleaner which is a very handy spray (great for nooks and crannies) and used to be available from QVC but haven't seen it recently :sad: Hope this helps.

last kit I got a ew years ago of the DAve Bradford cleaner it had a siler cleaner in the kit.

I have a sonic cleaner like the one for sale on Gems. I got mine from a certain online auction site for £19. The advice you have received is correct. Porous jewellery like pearls, opals, abalone/shell, coral, and mookite (there are others) cannot be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner (with abalone, the cleaner removes the shimmer :( ). Also do not put your marcasite in! I made the mistake of doing that with some earrings and the marcasites shattered and disappeared! (If your marcasites are glued in, the glue will be left behind) Thankfully the earrings are still wearable but I would have preferred them to still have the marcasites in them!

I clean jewellery that cannot go in the cleaner with normal hand soap and water. Put the plug in your sink, set some hand hot water and then lather up your hands (as though you are going to wash them). Then pick up each piece of jewellery in turn and massage it gently between your palms. Rinse and repeat. For stubborn stains, try using a soft toothbrush. Rinse all pieces and pat dry in a normal hand towel before buffing with a soft cloth. For strung jewellery, leave your pieces on the towel to dry completely (the string will still be wet).

I do this and all my soft bling always comes up gleaming!

There are more gemstones that CAN'T be put in a sonic cleaner than CAN unfortunately. I use mine only for diamonds. I wouldn't put anything else in it.

As Sacha has said, a soft toothbrush, some washing up liquid, tepid water and a lint free towel will bring up most gemstones beautifully.

Latest posts

Back