Sorry Joy but .............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

There`s people of all ages and sizes wear their clothes too tight. It seems to be a regular thing these days but not a look I`d aspire to. I`ve seen bigger ladies poured into clothes several sizes too small but I`ve also seen slim or even thin ladies do the same and it does neither any favours. Seeing boney hips and knobbly knees through a pair of poured on trousers or jeans, sticky out ribs under too tight T shirts and totally flat bra less chests under vest tops looks as bad as rolls of flab, chunky legs in too short skirts and boobs squashed into a too small of a top. In my lifetime I`ve varied from a size 12 to a size 20, currently I`m a size 14/16 ( top half is bigger than bottom half lol ) but the mirror never lies and hopefully I`ve always worn clothes which hang nicely instead of clinging to every lump, bump or curve. I see young teenage girls with legs like tree trunks wearing skirts barely covering their bums and women with boobs hanging down to their waist as well as a multitude of other sins but nowadays it seems everything or anything is acceptable.

I don't think Kim Mendelson should have Joy in her model line up... not if she want to sell her clothes to large ladies. I have yet to see Joy look good in a kim&co dress. I think joy's daughter is lovely and I can imagine she is embarrassed with her mums lack of dress sense.

I felt sorry for her stunning teenage daughter in that clip, which has changed my perception of Joy once and for all. It made me wonder why does anyone need to draw attention to themselves by flaunting their bodies? It's not really a question of what they want, it's a question of what they need. Threads like this are simply pandering to this need, which is sad, really.

http://youtu.be/R5_TqldckPw

Here's the programme with Joy and her daughter

Thanks for this link, very interesting to see Joy away from QVC. What a shame she feels she has to dress in clingy, boob revealing outfits when really they make her look daft. She is a really stunning woman and needs to remember less is more. I wonder if she does demand that the stylists put her in really tight, too small outfits when she is modelling on QVC? Her daughter is absolutely gorgeous too. A real natural beauty!

Thanks for that, it was a very interesting watch. She was very tightly stuffed into her own clothes like that denim dress so perhaps she does like the QVC look! I have to say I did not especially like the makeover! What a name for a show though. Joy seemed nice enough given what the show is about, but the other mother was really saying how hotter she was(really.... Are you serious????)and that must be demoralising for the daughter.....

What an interesting clip ! Joycelyn's daughter has far more sense than she does, and it was uncomfortable listening to her refer to her 'puppies' most of the time - what daughter wants to listen to her mother speak like that ?

And at the end during the 'makeover' at least her daughter was having her own hair styled - not a wig like her Mum !!!!

Joy dresses for herself, like most of us, so we can't knock it, even if it is an assault on our senses !!! But I'm more than thankful I didn't have to put up with a Mum who showed me up with her dress sense.

She was involved in bringing the child beauty pageants to the UK. I have no time for Joy ever since.

It`s obvious the saying " oh to see ourselves as others see us " is true. Joy thinks she looks great, the jury and her daughter obviously didn`t and Joy still thinks she looks great. She obviously doesn`t see what other people see but that`s true for many people.
I watched the clip and I also watched other clips from the same series and was chuckling to myself. OH asked me what I was chuckling at so I showed him a part of the clip I was watching ( not the one with Joy in it ) and he said omg tell me about it. His daughter is 41, not old by a long chalk and she has a 15 year old daughter who`se clothes she regularly borrows and when she goes out with her friends she dresses like a teenager and in styles which really don`t suit her 5ft 2, slightly chubby frame. OH despairs at her and even more so because for work she dresses very smartly and looks really nice so he knows how good she can actually look. OH rolls his eyes when he sees her togged up in very short dresses or skin tight plastic leggings or hot pants or any of the other wardrobe disasters complete with shoes she can`t walk in and tops which leave nothing to the imagination. He keeps hoping she`ll grow out of it lol but since she turned 40 she`s gone worse not better ...

Judging by the reactions to the clip, QVC and Kim had better wake up to the fact that the look they're selling through Joy isn't one that their customers aspire to. I've said here before that Joy isn't a role model for me because my shape is different and more like the normal models, albeit, er, fatter.

(What's wrong with saying "fatter" anyway, rather than bigger, larger, curvier. Okay - I'm coming out and I feel such relief now I've said it. I nearly said it's a weight off my mind, but that's wishful thinking. I am fat. Not hugely, obesely, but overweight so - fat. Now I just have to do something about it.)

What a dreadful show! Another show where women bash women, and the "stylists" should be sacked! I don't really have a problem with Joy's look though I'd agree her figure isn't representative of larger ladies, but then models aren't representative of many women full stop. It's funny the programme put Joy in a blue dress that looked a lot like a Kimmy dress, but then put a dodgy cardi over it. I suspect the mums are prepped to ham it up for the show.

oh dear, Joy doesn't seem to be fussed about squeezing herself into teeny weeny clothes does she? No wonder her daughter is a bit embarrassed. But it doesn't explain the Qsrtylists feeding her ego and indulging her whims, if that's what happens behind the scenes. The clothes don't look good if they don't fit. As the presenter in the video says her "chest has a life of its own" message to Q stylists: Reign it in for Gods sake do the lady a favour she comes across as super needy and desperate for male attentions almost wish I hadn't watched the video now. I liked Joy prior to seeing it. Like her daughter much more tho she seems more level headed and well balanced and secure in herself.

Last edited:
It's probably just as well they do have a larger lady to model. How else would larger ladies be able to visualise how the clothes will look otherwise? Why should models be stick thin anyway? People would complain if larger ladies didn't model. And who is going to look great in some of the tat QVC sell anyway? (ie Quacker jumpers and Indigo Moon garb?

I normally Like Joy but don't think she came across well in that programme :( saying that its nice that Qvc have plus size models , I never understand why during fashion programmes they have 2 or 3 models that are all the same size , whats the point in doing that , cut one of the models and knock a few quid of each item.

After watching this I badly wanted to give joy a good slap. Her daughter was obviously trying to hide herself under large grungy clothes in an effort to be the opposite of her mother. What a shame such a lovely girl is being totally demoralised by a larger than life me me me mum. Joy should be able to be herself I guess but still she did behave like the stroppy teenager whilst her sweet daughter was being forced to play the sensible adult.

By the way was everyone else able to see the end of the programme? My link stopped with Joy doing her twirl - I would have liked to see her daughters makeover.

Joy did come over as very shallow and self-obsessed- but remember there is very careful agenda-led editing going on. We were all impressed with Joy's daughter who is a credit to her mum. Joy has parented her and must have done something right. Many teenagers are embarassed by their parents. I think Joy should wear a bigger size but she can still show a bit of cleavage if she wants without looking like a sausage! Although not my own personal taste I think she should where what she likes I saw nothing on that show that a larger dress size would not fix.

After watching this I badly wanted to give joy a good slap. Her daughter was obviously trying to hide herself under large grungy clothes in an effort to be the opposite of her mother. What a shame such a lovely girl is being totally demoralised by a larger than life me me me mum. Joy should be able to be herself I guess but still she did behave like the stroppy teenager whilst her sweet daughter was being forced to play the sensible adult.

By the way was everyone else able to see the end of the programme? My link stopped with Joy doing her twirl - I would have liked to see her daughters makeover.

The show is split over 3 separate youtube videos names "1 of 3", 2 of 3" and "3 of 3" if you want to watch it all. I still reckon that both mums were told to ramp up their fashion stance to give the show more controversy, you can't believe this manufactured and contrived premise for a TV show. Equally the mother & daughter duos who apply for the show wouldn't get through the audition unless there's enough of a "story" to pad out. The second mother and daughter (from Colchester) looked dreadful in their make overs; seriously dodgy hair!

Curious - I've just seen Joy modelling a few items of Nina Leonard and Dreamkeeper, and I'm SURE that she wasn't poured quite so tightly into the outfits as usual.

She looked wonderful - definitely better than usual (in my opinion).

Coincidence? Probably...?

Latest posts

Back