Stephen Gayford art? Overrated?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greg

Registered Shopper
Personally I don't see much in it. This is probably an exaggeration, some of his art looks as if they are photos manipulated by photoshop using the filters they have. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of his own character and technique in them. Overpriced?

african%20giant%20ltd.jpg

I wouldn't give them wall space - ghastly! Can't see any artistic merit in them at all. :hi: Remember Peter 'Night of the Living Dead' Simon spouting his usual sh*te over some 'sculpture' of a lion and lioness - truly hideous. He said it was ceramic when it was obviously that cheap resin, and it looked like it had been 'hand-painted' by a five year old it was so rudimentary.

Yes, that was awful. Any artist of self-repute would not put their name to that piece of amateurish monstrosity.

Stephen Gayford is a better painter than myself (I'm hopeless), but I remember watching some of a Bid TV art evening and being distinctly underwhelmed by everything on offer with the exception of one print which I thought might be acceptable at a pinch (but wasn't tempted to buy). That particular print happened to sell much quicker than the others which says it all really. Plus at least they seem to have improved the colouring on the <del>plastercasts</del> statues so that they look a little better than the appalling earlier efforts.

Some of the pictures are of very brave subjects for such a commercial artist (wolf pack in tundra ice, etc.), which I suppose shows that he is a brave artist unhindered by commercial considerations. Oh, wait...

I love my Stephen Gayford prints. I have about seven of them and I think they are good value for money. I don't like the ornaments though as I do think they lack a certain something and do look cheap.

I think like all art it is very subjective. If you like it and think it is a good price then I would never tell you that is wrong :)

PJ

I don't see how anyone can say that Stephen Gayford is not a good artist. The man most certainly knows how to draw and paint, but as good as they are, I wouldn't want to adorn my home with pictures of wildlife...but can see how they appeal to those who like that sort of thing. As for the price, I totally agree with what P.J said, in that if you like it, and you can afford it then go for it..whether the name of Stephen Gayford is meant to send us into raptures and thoughts that to buy one of his paintings would be an investment..Lord knows...I've only ever heard of him through various shopping channels. I can remember him being a guest on one of them and a right miserable old git he was!

like pj said art is subjective a personal thing if you like it then you like it gayford's art isn't my thing but i wouldn't say you shouldn't buy it each to their own :)

Stephen Gayford art? Overrated?

I would go along with what a FM once said about said artist ...Stephen Gayford painter of sh*te....

According to sources in Africa the Lion King wants to eat Gayford for painting a lady lion he was having an affair with. Legend has it the Lion Kings wife found out after buying a limited edition of it on Bid.tv whilst she was on holiday in London Zoo ~ and put two and two together!. Simba now only sees his pops at weekends. The Lion King's pissed off but knows he made a big mistake. :heartbroke:

The point of my thread was to invite other people's view on this artist and I am glad people have. :nod:

Quite. You invited people to express an opinion - I would have thought that is exactly what a forum like this is for :hi:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back