Steve & Sarah back at Gemporia

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm not against kyanite. I am just against Gemporia's selling tactics for it.

Rebranding it as "nilamani" (a local word for blue sapphire), never using the word kyanite, and pushing the similarity in colour between the two stones so hard that I wouldn't be surprised if many viewers end up convinced that they're buying sapphires.

Plus it's not that hard a stone. I think quite a few buyers who have bought exposed setting rings thinking that they're sapphires may be having a rude awakening when the stones either break or badly scratch after knocking against something
It really is not good enough the way they are selling their items knowing full well it not truthful and very misleading. The only thing we can do is not buy, but that's because we know what the original Gemporia was a good company unfortunately for these new buyers they are not aware!

I think I am now seeing the end of the road for Gemporia, it is Saturday eve prime time and Dave is on with gold tone multi gemstones nothing extraordinary except the high prices! Steve and Sarah supposedly back but no evidence of commitment or interest. The rest of the schedule is dull. Earlier Queen conch again which was supposed to have sold out weeks ago. All very dull. And Gem Auras candles going from Gemporia ... 😥 another reason for me not to watch....And there are so many 'clearance' shows is does make you wonder whether to take literally..

Last edited:
I think I am now seeing the end of the road for Gemporia, it is Saturday eve prime time and Dave is on with gold tone multi gemstones nothing extraordinary except the high prices! Steve and Sarah supposedly back but no evidence of commitment or interest. The rest of the schedule is dull. Earlier Queen conch again which was supposed to have sold out weeks ago. All very dull. And Gem Auras candles going from Gemporia ... 😥 another reason for me not to watch....And there are so many 'clearance' shows is does make you wonder whether to take literally..

Ah, the endless 'clearance' sales.

They sold a gold pendant yesterday (very small and very lightweight).

It went for £19.99 in the 'sale'.

A family member bought it just over a year ago - same product code. She paid £14.99 for it originally - then got a price promise credit at a later date when it sold for just £7!

The sales aren't 'sales' in my opinion - they're just named as such to stop people claiming price promises.

You're right. They're not anything of the kind. Just a contractual mechanism which, of course, is just Selling 101 but don't really do much for your reputation particularly if this hasn't been your standard sales model in the past and especially galling when the same item is offered in a "lowest ever clearance" and just a couple of hours later at an even lower price (watches are one example).

Even Jim warned about "no price promises" in one of his hours on GC. I was a bit taken aback but then it might be hard to shake off the Gems TV style of presenting.

I remember when Angline stated not that long ago " we only have 2/3 sales" a year???? What happened? There is so much double talking going on and they believe we the buyers forget about previous statements!!! On a different complaint will any of the management please make sure the presenters are aware of why they can offer their goods so cheap??!! Tuned in this morning not for long as it was Lindsey and she went on and on about how she doesn't understand this????? That's my viewing of Gems done for the day as Ellis is on now such a big No No for me along with the rest of them. Have given up on Steve he is obviously not interested in Gems and now so am i.

I remember when Angline stated not that long ago " we only have 2/3 sales" a year???? What happened? There is so much double talking going on and they believe we the buyers forget about previous statements!!! On a different complaint will any of the management please make sure the presenters are aware of why they can offer their goods so cheap??!! Tuned in this morning not for long as it was Lindsey and she went on and on about how she doesn't understand this????? That's my viewing of Gems done for the day as Ellis is on now such a big No No for me along with the rest of them. Have given up on Steve he is obviously not interested in Gems and now so am i.
I think the "I don't understand how we can be doing these prices!" is yet another example of the 'Wagstaffe Effect'. Certain presenters on TJC do the same, with much overacting and comedy gurning at the camera. Rachel Hatton did this a lot on both channels.

It may fool new viewers, but anyone who has watched either channel for a while will also have encountered presenters confidently exclaiming that Gemporia/TJC* price their wares so low because they a) buy from source, b) buy from jewellers or sellers wanting to ditch stock quickly (close out deals), and c) buy in bulk. Unlike traditional bricks and mortar sellers. And that saving gets passed on to the telly viewers.

Running both of these simultaneously, as presenters on both channels do, is both ludicrous and a massive red flag. If your products are set at an unbeatable price due to your fantabulous buying processes, why all the amateur dramatics? For me, it doesn't engender trust, and it's voluntarily telling viewers that something isn't right here

*delete as applicable

Something else that is annoying me recently - they seem to be telling people to "get it valued" even more than they used to.

There are 2 issues I have with that:

a) They're saying it on items with stupid gimmicky marketing names that they've made up themselves. If they take 'Nilamani' to be valued, nobody is going to know what it is. If they take 'Serenite' to be valued, nobody is going to know what it is. If they take 'Mansanite' to be valued, nobody is going to know what it is. 'Csarite' might also cause some confusion too.

b) Unless they ask specifically, they'll get an insurance valuation - which will always be much higher than an actual valuation of worth.

I just watched Ellis trying to sell a 1 carat loose diamond for the 'amazing' price of £499. The only problem was it was so included it looked like glass that had been dropped. She kept on about how big it was and how much a similar sized diamond would cost, but I think on this occasion, size doesn't necessarily matter.

I just watched Ellis trying to sell a 1 carat loose diamond for the 'amazing' price of £499. The only problem was it was so included it looked like glass that had been dropped. She kept on about how big it was and how much a similar sized diamond would cost, but I think on this occasion, size doesn't necessarily matter.
I'm not surprised Ellis and Angeline are the worst demanding we buy

There is a five stone eternity ring doing the rounds at the moment, and every one who has presented it has been enthusiastically drawing attention to the size of the stones. Not a mention of the clarity, and they are awful, at best I3. But to hear the presenters, they are top quality. Absolutely appalling. Even the Magic Lightbox can’t make them look good!

Latest posts

Back