Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think I am cursed when it comes to prescriptions. i placed it last Friday and finally tracked it to the pharmacy who assured me it would come yesterday afternoon. I rang just before 7.00 and they said it missed the delivery!! I mean WTAF? Allegedly it will come this morning. I cannot believe this happens to everyone so I am feeling a bit paranoid!

My walking sticks arrived! The box was nearly 6' long! Anyway the nice looking, slender wooden one is OK, at 36" perhaps a bit too tall for me and doesnt make me feel 100% secure. But then I am comparing it to a pair of crutches so need to try it out when properly recovered. But the one I thought I would hate, the height adjustable collapsible one, is really good! So I shall forget the fact it makes me look like my Mother! I just got a plain black one but may branch out. I could get a stash... 😧

They say you should roll clothes when packing to avoid creases and get more in but I have serious doubts.

2 suitcase, 1 medium, 1 smaller but same weight allowance so they go in, come out, mixed up, back in again all in an effort to distribute the weight between the different sizes

We went to Morocco over 40 years ago when it was not a tourist destination and our luggage went AWOL at the airport We were told either go without luggage or not go at all and that the luggage would follow.
Only after we were on board did they inform us that it would be a week before it would follow. This was at a time when NI passengers were not allowed hand luggage of any description so we had absolutely nothing with us.

It was an experience I never want to repeat especially since I was struck down with Montezuma‘s revenge hence why I have enough stuff in my case to stock a shopping mall.

The rolling bit is true! I’ve been doing it for years. Never take an iron with me, and even linen dresses don’t crease.

When we went to Sri Lanka and also on the Cruise last year we had the hotel/ship laundry do all our washing the day before we came home. It was really cheap and so worth it to avoid all that pile of laundry when you empty the case, which always seems to be my job. . . .

CC
What a great idea!

I have been reducing and reducing the amount of stuff I take on any holiday. I now consistently have my case under the luggage weight allowance.
I hate lugging heavy cases, and there's only me to do it.
I started packing all outfits as "rolls" including undies (except bras, as I wear underwired ones), I then do "mini-rolls" for extended items to wear with parts of the main outfit. I packed like that for a week working in Paris in February, and still felt I could have taken less. Going to Paris for work in February now sounds like something from another age!

I always take a ton of stuff. My case seems full before I even get to the decent clothes! I have never rolled but in the past used tissue paper especially for work trips.

The Nurse has just been and reckons the wound is looking a lot better than on her last visit and she is a nurse I rate! She said there looks to be an adequate/good blood supply to the new tissue which can be a problem with ankle wounds . So fingers crossed!!!!

My late sister was an expert packer and when her husband retired they used to go away for a month at a time so she had to think carefully what to pack and which items she could wash through and would dry easily. Some hotels charge an arm and a leg for laundry and there isn`t always a launderette handy for you to do your own. My sis used to put tumble drier sheets inbetween clothes so they would smell fresh when she opened the cases and she`d leave all clean underwear and clean non crease items in the case throughout the holiday which would leave plenty space in the wardrobes for items which needed to be hung.
I once did a 21 day tour of the American West Coast and it was hectic, we moved from city to city and only spent a maximum of 2 days anywhere. The hotel rooms were frequently umpteen floor up, didn`t have balconies and because we stayed for just one or 2 days there was never time to wash anything and have enough time for it to drip dry in the bathroom.
The final week of the tour was to be spent in Hawaii and by then most of us on the tour were running out of clean clothes and we`d been in some hot places such as Vegas and Palm Springs so most of us had "sweaty " stuff to deal with.
Thankfully as we were booked into our hotel in Hawaii the receptionist gave us a map of the local area and lo and behold, just 5 minutes walk from the hotel was a launderette. All of us hot footed there with our cases, we didn`t even bother going to our rooms first and we literally took over every washing machine and drier in the place and oh did it feel good to have a choice of what to wear again.

I think I am cursed when it comes to prescriptions. i placed it last Friday and finally tracked it to the pharmacy who assured me it would come yesterday afternoon. I rang just before 7.00 and they said it missed the delivery!! I mean WTAF? Allegedly it will come this morning. I cannot believe this happens to everyone so I am feeling a bit paranoid!

My walking sticks arrived! The box was nearly 6' long! Anyway the nice looking, slender wooden one is OK, at 36" perhaps a bit too tall for me and doesnt make me feel 100% secure. But then I am comparing it to a pair of crutches so need to try it out when properly recovered. But the one I thought I would hate, the height adjustable collapsible one, is really good! So I shall forget the fact it makes me look like my Mother! I just got a plain black one but may branch out. I could get a stash... 😧
Please don't feel paranoid, it's not you it's this sodding country full of couldn't care less people. Hopefully you'll only need a stick for a short period of time but I suppose you get get a few to colour coordinate with your clothes, be eady for the 'new' season or festive ones for Christmas. I've now got a wide vaiety of masks & will defo get a couple of Santa themed ones.
I always take a ton of stuff. My case seems full before I even get to the decent clothes! I have never rolled but in the past used tissue paper especially for work trips.

The Nurse has just been and reckons the wound is looking a lot better than on her last visit and she is a nurse I rate! She said there looks to be an adequate/good blood supply to the new tissue which can be a problem with ankle wounds . So fingers crossed!!!!
I'm so pleased & relieved. However, you should NEVER have had to go through all of this trauma & the lack of care by the hospitals was appalling.

Why is washing such a big problem?

I just pile it into OH's washing machine and add some soap powder, and she presses the button (because she knows which one to press).

Then we sit down and do the crossword.

Simples!
Ah yes but it's not just that is it? Sorting darks from lights, you can't just pile it in unless you want all greys when they come out. Then there's the unloading, carting it out into the garden, pegging it all on the line, waiting for it to dry, bringing it all in, folding it, ironing it then putting it away. It's THAT that bugs me, not the pressing of the button :p

I'm rubbish at crosswords as well :oops:

CC

Vienna, I was totally expecting the end of your story to be that the hotel was next to a sarong shop!!!! I used to love a sarong. When I was slim, lol.
No sarongs Mazza but I did go to an Hawaiian luau and participated in learning how to do traditional Hawaiian dances, I even got a certificate lol. Every movement of the hands, feet and sway of the hips is telling a story.
For the meal they had a full pig which had been cooking underground all day. They dig a hole, cover the pig in leaves and hot stones and leave it to cook. I found it to be very tender but very salty.
Must admit I was very disappointed to discover Waikiki beach is actually man made and millions of tonnes of sand was shipped in to make it because underneath is all volcanic rock.
I loved Pearl Harbour and found it very moving especially going out on the launch to see the USS Arizona which lies below the water as a memorial to the many people who died when the Japs bombed the harbour. You throw petals into the water and we were told that some people who survived the bombings and lived to old age had asked their families to seek permission to have their ashes scattered into the water above the Arizona.
Your entrance ticket to Pearl Harbour has a potted history of someone who died on the day of the bombings and mine told the story of a Military nurse who`d been killed whilst trying to help the wounded. I`d love to visit there again and its around 14 years since I was last there.

I used to be so stressed with packing sitting on the case to close at about midnight before I had a 6a.m check in, taking travel irons and even a steamer.Now although I haven’t been away for some time but packed days before, forget the steaming gadgets.Go through everything in the case in my head, pull out some replace with others, check weight,OK. No stress.Went on a rail tour of the USA several years ago, that was planned to the extreme, when my fellow travellers were spending an evening In the hotels launderette I was in the bar enjoying a drink.My second layer of clean undies was in the vacuum pack switching with the dirty.Smug, yes!

Cartoon dog mask 117591856_32395703.jpg

That’s fantastic news some good blood supply will work wonders, with healing.
Great stuff you have got yourself a nurse that you have confidence in, she is working with you, seems caring and professional.
Way back I trusted someone would rise to the surface for you.
Always strived and was my aim to be that person to my patients.
Brilliant you have got the care you deserve 💞

Well if you are cursed so is my my mum, so you are not alone. She virtually lives on Ensure drinks to keep her weight up. I order these every month and last month ordered as normal. Called round and no sign of drinks and at this point she had run out. Rang the pharmacy who said that they had requested the prescription twice but received nothing from the Surgery. So I then had to ring the Surgery who were frankly crap, but eventually they put in another urgent request. Eventually after a couple of days the drinks turned up. The Surgery had no answer as to why the request had been ignored. Thing is this happens all the time. It is like everything is far too much trouble. I have complained though.

So glad to hear your better news and that you have a good blood supply to the new tissue.

Omg Anna. I would be climbing the walls!!!!!! I had some if those drinks in hospital, Compact(?) Protein or whatever. I decided to order some when I got home so found a good deal on Amazon. Trouble is they were just the Compact drinks, not the protein ones at all. If you're near Putney I have quite a few going spare.....

I have many reasons to be extremely grateful to the NHS over the years. Two and a half years ago when my second daughter was diagnosed and treat for breast cancer(successfully) her two daughters were given appointments at the Breast cancer clinic to be assessed. Today TWO YEARS later they received letters telling them the results of the assessment. Ridiculous imo.

Cc
Ah yes but it's not just that is it? Sorting darks from lights, you can't just pile it in unless you want all greys when they come out. Then there's the unloading, carting it out into the garden, pegging it all on the line, waiting for it to dry, bringing it all in, folding it, ironing it then putting it away. It's THAT that bugs me, not the pressing of the button :p

I'm rubbish at crosswords as well :oops:

CC Colour catcher sheets are what you need. I don't sort clothes just pop one in your wash, never failed me.

I’m a big fan of colour catcher but still sort all my washing into piles to be washed separately. I never ever wash whites with anything else or mediums with darks, or towels with anything!

i need a “tissue catcher” as no matter how careful you are there is one that gets away and it’s bliddy impossible to get rid of it - it always seems to be in the dark wash. Grr

Latest posts

Back