Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love my Kindle too. All my books on one small device just waiting for me to read them.
My first kindle's battery died and I was not able to get a new battery working on it. It had the buttons on the side and was brilliant.

My new kindle is the type that you have to touch to get it to turn the pages. I hated it at first as I kept turning pages without meaning to, and changing the font all the time inadvertently.
I have got used to it now and only occasionally change the font by accident.

I do wish Amazon would make an affordable kindle again with the buttons at the side. I think there is an expensive version though.

I have the kindle paper white and it has been well used of late. I also did a jig saw in the early lockdown and then I got the crotchet hook out and made some blankets for new great grandson in May. So then I got the bug and bought more wool and made a rainbow blanket/ throw. I’m now back to the reading a couple of books per week. OH well where to start. All singing all dancing Key Board that’s in the corner leaning against the wall with the fold up stand. The drone is in the car boot the new laptop has been in use a lot and on Friday the new mattress is arriving 🤞after two cancelled deliveries. What can I say oh yes new bread maker.

I love the feel of a real book but when I met Mr V and I sold my house to marry and move in with him I was horrified at the sheer number of books I`d read and then stored on shelves or in cupboards and up in the loft. Nobody wanted them, charity shops keep a small stock of books but that`s about it and younger generations use technology to read.
I bought a Kindle just after we married and even though I still buy the odd proper book I now rely more on the Kindle. It`s often cheaper to buy the Kindle download and when we go on holiday I can take as many books as I like downloaded and it takes up no space.

I too had many trips to charity shops to get rid of many books when I got my first kindle, it had the buttons and was easy to manage , when I had a new one a touch screen I found it very strange so I bought a cover fot it that shuts it down and open to wake it up. I don't think I would go back to holding a book again.

My arm is still sore from last year's jab. I knew t would be as the 'assistant' the surgery employed is a bit thick. I don't know how she got the job or how she's still employed there.

She squirted half my jab into the air then I'm pretty sure she stuck it in the wrong place. I've been having them for 20 years and never had one there before. She also got in a hell of a mess trying to wire me up for my ecg. Thirty minutes later there was a queue in the surgery and I still hadn't been wired up!

I had bacterial pneumonia 20 years ago. I was really ill with it and given the pneumococcal vaccine after I'd recovered.

People are idiots. The pneumonia jab will only protect against bacterial pneumonia, not a virus like Covid or even viral pneumonia. These are probably the same people who demand antibiotics for a cold or sore throat and now we're in a mess with resistance.

I'm actually surprised they haven't cottoned on to this and demanded it before now. I'm even more surprised my sister hasn't remembered I had the pneumo jab and asked me about it - she's the worst for inappropriate antibiotic demands. What surprises me the most, though, is that the GP gives in and gives them to her.

In complete contrast my partner has had 18 shingles attacks in 15 years and it always covers one side of his head and eye. He's asked for the shingles jab but has been refused yet the GP recommended he has it - if he pays £450 for it! He gets prescribed anti-virals costing (according to the GP) £125 a course. When he's 70 in just over a decade they'll offer it to him but he'll probably have had permanent nerve damage over the eye by then. He's under an opthalmic consultant for a rare eye disease who has recommended he has it but the GP still refuses.
I asked in Boots recently if I could have the shingles jab. It costs £82. Unfortunately I decided not to have it and then bad luck., I got Shingles. It was painful but luckily only on my side and back. Your poor husband

I asked in Boots recently if I could have the shingles jab. It costs £82. Unfortunately I decided not to have it and then bad luck., I got Shingles. It was painful but luckily only on my side and back. Your poor husband

I heard Boots ran out as so many wanted the jab and have now said they cannot get anymore? This is word of mouth. I had bronchial pneumonia when I was 15 and in and out of the hospital twice, the only time I have ever had to stay in hospital. I went for my flu jab on Tuesday, it was like a well-oiled machine. Temp took at the front door then move along. It was my own doctor who I got and the only thing he as if I was on blood thinners? No. You had to sanitizer coming in and also when going out the back. I have no soreness at all I actually thought had it even given me the jab? But there is a pin mark where he aimed.

QUOTE="Mazza, post: 987945, member: 16299"]
They were quite the thing in the first lockdown weren’t they? My dining table is currently covered in stuff so I would have nowhere to put it! I wonder if charity shops will be heaving with them in the near future.
[/QUOTE]
I've got jigsaws on my tablet.

I heard Boots ran out as so many wanted the jab and have now said they cannot get anymore? This is word of mouth. I had bronchial pneumonia when I was 15 and in and out of the hospital twice, the only time I have ever had to stay in hospital. I went for my flu jab on Tuesday, it was like a well-oiled machine. Temp took at the front door then move along. It was my own doctor who I got and the only thing he as if I was on blood thinners? No. You had to sanitizer coming in and also when going out the back. I have no soreness at all I actually thought had it even given me the jab? But there is a pin mark where he aimed.
None of the GP's in our town are doing flu clinics. We had an email asking us to download an app and register for the jab. Well it was a right performance, you had to photo your passport, then make a video of yourself. After that they gave you a number you had to repeat it. By this time hubby was ready to throw the laptop through the window. To cap it all you would have had to go to a local playing field were they had set up a Covid testing centre for the jab.It was an absolute nightmare. In the end I rang our pharmacy and they did it for us. They did say they had had a lot of complaints about the app. I just want to know exactly what our GPs are getting paid for.

Lemonpop that is ****** ridiculous!
I agree our surgery sent us an appointment and when we got there they took our temperature at the front door and the we went in cleaned our hands walked through to the allotted room stepped in had the jab then walked out of the back door. Social distancing at all times with the floor marked with arrows. Quick and easy which is how it should be. No doctors in the building all at home speaking to patients on the phone.

We usually go to the health centre and it’s like a ****** cattle market, the first year people were queuing right around the car park. It was a bit better in later years as they staggered the different surgeries but it’s still very much a production line. I can’t see how they would operate any sort of SD and sanitising so I’m going to pay for my chemist to do it. She is next door to my work, I know her and she would be as clean as it is possible to get.

We had ours Tuesday afternoon. Mr T usually goes to the Dr for his but they couldn't do it until the end of the month whereas the chemist rang on Monday with an appointment for both of us. I am not old enough for the free jab but Mr T likes me to have it done so I pay. This is the 4th time that I have had it done, first time that I have had my temperature taken on arrival though also the first time that I have had a reaction to it. Hard, red, swollen lump on my arm. Mr T, bless him, has nothing to show for it 🤨

We had ours Tuesday afternoon. Mr T usually goes to the Dr for his but they couldn't do it until the end of the month whereas the chemist rang on Monday with an appointment for both of us. I am not old enough for the free jab but Mr T likes me to have it done so I pay. This is the 4th time that I have had it done, first time that I have had my temperature taken on arrival though also the first time that I have had a reaction to it. Hard, red, swollen lump on my arm. Mr T, bless him, has nothing to show for it 🤨
Welcome Twirl58.
I think I will enquire about a flu jab too, and hope it's as straightforward as many have experienced...not like poor Lemonpop's rigmarole.

Had my jab last Saturday in the surgery drop in, in car park, 3 marquees, 3 doctors fully PPE'd - my fave doc who I haven't spoke to or seen in a year recognised me and waved from afar, made my day, Long queues raining and a bit of a wait but it was well organised. My health has been pretty dire since I had covid so been in the sugery for normal 1-1's twice. I wasn't in good health before covid I might add. Fully masked, temperatured etc. My hubby had to go to a&e in June, heart scare (all good) that was weirder. Also tooth out last month for me - also weird. My hubby and daughter work for NHS so I get good real time reports as it were, my daughter has worked on a covid ward and my hubby has had two antibody tests, he's loaded LOL and no one knows what it all means, weird weird times.

That's ridiculous, Lemonpop.

Who on earth thinks of these things? A lot of people needing the jab are elderly and either won't have access to all the tech these requests are demanding or won't have the know-how to use it. WTF is wrong with a telephone appointment in the first place?

And the PPE - are they changing between patients as they do in my dentist or are they just ensuring their own protection. Again, elderly or chronically ill people are most in need for the jab. If the same PPE is being used for everyone it must be a bio-hazard after a few patients. If they're really taking it that seriously they need to ensure patient safety as well as their own.

I have mine booked for a few weeks'time. Once again I had to ring for it despite being chronically ill. The last few years my OH has had a letter requesting he attends as he's down as my carer. They have no record of me needing it at the surgery and have to put in a 'special request' with one of the GPs to book me in.

The NHS is great when it's working properly but a ****** nightmare when it's not.

Last year the doctor looked as if he had slept and ate in his clothes for a month, body hygiene not 100% and picked up a dropped swab from the floor and used it again.

I was flabbergasted and there was no COVID then! Not my normal doctor thank goodness.

We usually go to the health centre and it’s like a ****** cattle market, the first year people were queuing right around the car park. It was a bit better in later years as they staggered the different surgeries but it’s still very much a production line. I can’t see how they would operate any sort of SD and sanitising so I’m going to pay for my chemist to do it. She is next door to my work, I know her and she would be as clean as it is possible to get.
If you are eligible for a free jab you don't have to pay for it just because the chemist does it, if this helps at all.

None of the GP's in our town are doing flu clinics. We had an email asking us to download an app and register for the jab. Well it was a right performance, you had to photo your passport, then make a video of yourself. After that they gave you a number you had to repeat it. By this time hubby was ready to throw the laptop through the window. To cap it all you would have had to go to a local playing field were they had set up a Covid testing centre for the jab.It was an absolute nightmare. In the end I rang our pharmacy and they did it for us. They did say they had had a lot of complaints about the app. I just want to know exactly what our GPs are getting paid for.
I suspect was a decision made by the local CCG, than the individual surgeries.

Latest posts

Back