Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

After months off school and being attached to their phones 24/7 this is many a true word spoken in jest.
lockdown.jpg

I'd find another stylist, let's face it in the two decades that you've been going to her thousands of people will have qualified & many will be able to cut your hair competently. If she won the lottery or went to that big salon in the sky you'd have to find someone else; I see having my hair done as a treat & liking the person who wields the scissors is a big part of that.
I agree. I went to the same hairdresser for almost 20 years mainly because the salon is at the end of my road and I looked on her as a friend. She even provided me with references for a couple of jobs over the years. Whenever she did my hair there was always a layer that wasn't quite right and I began to think that she was covering a multitude of hair sins with her blow drying. I asked for a younger, choppy style and she said that without me using loads of products it wouldn't be possible. I thought that it's my hair so surely it's up to me. The last straw was when she redid my highlights and my hair was totally yellow and literally straw. Anyway, in the end I went to the salon that my daughter used and Dean sorted it out. He didn't even complain about the state of it. Unfortunately as I have mentioned the salon isn't going to be opening again but I am quite happy with my home cut and colour.

Please tell us all about this adorable monster.
Her Mother is a golden lab and her Father is a golden retriever but she`s black. Mum had 6 pups, 3 smooth haired blacks , 2 smooth haired golden and 1 wavy haired golden. Ours was the last pup, Billy no mates we called her and we couldn`t collect her there and then because we didn`t have all the essentials needed for a 9 week old chewing machine.
When we collected her she`d been fed not long beforehand so she happily chucked up all over me in the car on the way home and then peed on me for good measure. She is the complete opposite in character to our beloved Bronte who we lost a few weeks ago and I`m glad about that. Even subconsciously we can`t compare the 2. Pippa as she`s called is a whirling dervish of needle sharp teeth, the ability to try to eat anything and an energy of something possessed. She has already attacked the bamboo in the garden, dug up most of the flowerbeds and had found nooks and crannies we didn`t realise we had.
She has been amazing at house training and I reckon she`d sell her soul for a doggy treat. Her toys have already been shredded but the very expensive so called flavoured best ever puppy toy which Pets At Home charged me a fortune for, remains totally untouched and ignored. She loves feet and attacks them at every available opportunity but is a sucker for cuddling up on anything fleecy even if its being worn by someone.
She`s knee high to a grass hopper but managed to jump into the swing bin, dragged a 5ft mop from the downstairs loo into the kitchen and is afraid of nothing and acts like ten men. Her favourite pastime is watching the washing machine and trying to catch the clothes as the drum turns and then attacking it when its on spin. I found her asleep yesterday with her chin resting on the concave washing machine door and a cotton cycle must have bored her to sleep.
I`ve been up at 5am every morning since we got her and I haven`t seen any creature more pleased to see me in my life, she even does a happy wee whilst she wriggles from head to toe and wags her tail fast enough to operate a wind turbine but that`s because I know where the kibble is. She doesn`t fool me and the minute Mr V enters the room she turns her attention to him. A turncoat charmer she is.
She has filled a huge void left by our dear departed Bronte who will never ever be forgotten and the house was too empty and too quiet without a dog but our cat isn`t impressed and did a protest vomit on the first day and since then has totally ignored Pippa Pup but I`m sure she`ll come around. I am knackered but happily so and my backside has grown a pair of eyes and my hands are like a pin cushion from baby canine teeth. Mr V no longer has his quiet zombie not quite with the living half hour sitting on the sofa first thing in the morning and has to skip into the living room on tippy toes because for the first time in his life something is attracted to his feet. Have never seen him move so fast in his life, she`s practically his own pilates machine !

Her Mother is a golden lab and her Father is a golden retriever but she`s black. Mum had 6 pups, 3 smooth haired blacks , 2 smooth haired golden and 1 wavy haired golden. Ours was the last pup, Billy no mates we called her and we couldn`t collect her there and then because we didn`t have all the essentials needed for a 9 week old chewing machine.
When we collected her she`d been fed not long beforehand so she happily chucked up all over me in the car on the way home and then peed on me for good measure. She is the complete opposite in character to our beloved Bronte who we lost a few weeks ago and I`m glad about that. Even subconsciously we can`t compare the 2. Pippa as she`s called is a whirling dervish of needle sharp teeth, the ability to try to eat anything and an energy of something possessed. She has already attacked the bamboo in the garden, dug up most of the flowerbeds and had found nooks and crannies we didn`t realise we had.
She has been amazing at house training and I reckon she`d sell her soul for a doggy treat. Her toys have already been shredded but the very expensive so called flavoured best ever puppy toy which Pets At Home charged me a fortune for, remains totally untouched and ignored. She loves feet and attacks them at every available opportunity but is a sucker for cuddling up on anything fleecy even if its being worn by someone.
She`s knee high to a grass hopper but managed to jump into the swing bin, dragged a 5ft mop from the downstairs loo into the kitchen and is afraid of nothing and acts like ten men. Her favourite pastime is watching the washing machine and trying to catch the clothes as the drum turns and then attacking it when its on spin. I found her asleep yesterday with her chin resting on the concave washing machine door and a cotton cycle must have bored her to sleep.
I`ve been up at 5am every morning since we got her and I haven`t seen any creature more pleased to see me in my life, she even does a happy wee whilst she wriggles from head to toe and wags her tail fast enough to operate a wind turbine but that`s because I know where the kibble is. She doesn`t fool me and the minute Mr V enters the room she turns her attention to him. A turncoat charmer she is.
She has filled a huge void left by our dear departed Bronte who will never ever be forgotten and the house was too empty and too quiet without a dog but our cat isn`t impressed and did a protest vomit on the first day and since then has totally ignored Pippa Pup but I`m sure she`ll come around. I am knackered but happily so and my backside has grown a pair of eyes and my hands are like a pin cushion from baby canine teeth. Mr V no longer has his quiet zombie not quite with the living half hour sitting on the sofa first thing in the morning and has to skip into the living room on tippy toes because for the first time in his life something is attracted to his feet. Have never seen him move so fast in his life, she`s practically his own pilates machine !
Wonderful, enjoy being new parents!

After mowing the grass I was sitting on the bench taking a breather when a lady came past with 2 wee dogs and stopped to talk.
She explained that she had got them from a couple who spend all their time and resources rescuing dogs from puppy farms. One was slightly smaller and was starved when rescued and its thought she won’t get any bigger. Apparently the conditions they were in was terrible and their coats had to be shaved to get rid of parasites and god knows what. A lot of time and effort by numerous people had brought them round.

She said this was the first time they had been out on the lead and they don’t like being outside the house even in the garden because they are so nervous.

They were lovely I could have wept for the wee mites.

After mowing the grass I was sitting on the bench taking a breather when a lady came past with 2 wee dogs and stopped to talk.
She explained that she had got them from a couple who spend all their time and resources rescuing dogs from puppy farms. One was slightly smaller and was starved when rescued and its thought she won’t get any bigger. Apparently the conditions they were in was terrible and their coats had to be shaved to get rid of parasites and god knows what. A lot of time and effort by numerous people had brought them round.

She said this was the first time they had been out on the lead and they don’t like being outside the house even in the garden because they are so nervous.

They were lovely I could have wept for the wee mites.
That could be my Snickers, I've had her about twelve years now and she still hates walkies, refusing to go through the gate and when she goes out in the garden for 'weesypoos' (a wee and/or a poo) she prefers the reassurance of being on the extendable lead.

I've spent a fortune trying to fix the issue but it's unfixable.

Now she's turning into a sometimes grumpy old lady, especially when she's tired, but they say dogs gradually become like their owners.

What a wonderful account! You do write so well, I feel I'm in the house experiencing this little explosion of puppy energy with you. I can feel your joy, and I am so happy for you and Mr V.

Our youngest Twirlette has a black lab and I didn't realise that litters can be mixed colours until she got Carter, I found that very interesting.
I know what you mean about the house not being the same without a dog as we are going through the same since Charlie went.
I wish you well with Pippa pup.

Me and the husband have been talking about getting a furry family member and we’ve been talking about going the Dogs Trust, there are all those beautiful dogs just waiting to love someone and be given a loving home. Trouble is though I said to the husband how will I be able to pick just one out of all those abandoned dogs, and walk away from the rest, it’ll be hard. So we’ve decided get one more holiday out the way next year, if it’s allowed then, and then we’ll donate all our love and time to our new family member..............can’t wait!! 👏👏👏🙏❤️

My oldest son and his family had a Cavalier King Charles called Martha. She had been rescued from a puppy farm and she was the most timid creature when they first got her. She was about 3 years old and signs showed she`d already had several litters. She was scared of everything and for days she just sat in the corner quivering and was obviously traumatised even though when rescued she`d spent a number of weeks being cared for in a rescue centre.
The farm where she`d been held was raided by the police and rspca and they found dozens of dogs in terrible conditions and litters of pups crammed together in small crates. Martha was just one of them but with lots of patience and lots of love she eventually came out of her shell and grew accustomed to having space, a garden and human contact.
Sadly her health was never great and that was probably down to poor breeding from her parents, neglect and never having been seen by a vet let alone fed properly or being cared for. They had her for 6 years but last year her heart gave out and she collapsed with heart failure but had 6 years of love, fun and happiness.
During the pandemic many rescue centres have closed their doors to adoption because they know people are buying dogs for the wrong reasons and after the pandemic and when people return to work, holidays etc they expect a surge of unwanted pets.
We have a large rescue centre not far from us and their doors have been shut for almost a year for the above reason but also because of covid itself. When our Bronte died a few weeks ago we had a big unopened sack of dry food so Mr V rang the centre who said they`d gratefully have it but to just leave it outside the gates and they`d collect it.
I donate to a website called 1 dog at a time and they rescue street dogs in Romania plus pregnant Mums and litters. They also have a facebook page and have regular raffles. They have a sanctuary where the dogs are treated by a vet, innoculated, neutered , can have their pups in safety and are then brought to the UK for rehoming. Some of the dogs have been ill treated whilst on the streets and you may find some clips on their facebook page too difficult to read.
Here`s the link to their website for anybody who may be considering rescuing in the future.

Our daughter has been trying to adopt a rescue dog for over a year without success. Every time she ticks the boxes to confirm that she has children, a dog and a cat she gets refused.

I contribute to the Dogs Trust and would gladly give to any organisations that would really get to grips with the awful puppy farming.Some people are just not interested where there cute little puppies are from even when they are paying a lot of money.Years ago I decided to get a dog I researched the registered breeders and when I did find a litter, through a lady who was an expert in the breed, saw him in his home environment with his Mother and the rest of the litter.I also had the full pedigree certificate so could go back generations even including 2 Crufts Best in Show.Research the breed, the breeders take the utmost responsibility,A Dog is for Life! So many do not take dog ownership with the seriousness and consideration it desperately needs.

Our daughter has been trying to adopt a rescue dog for over a year without success. Every time she ticks the boxes to confirm that she has children, a dog and a cat she gets refused.
My youngest son and his partner have the same problem. He works in a childrens home and staff are encouraged to take their dogs to work with them because the home already has a house cat , fish and a gerbil which the kids are encouraged to look after and care for and the kids often respond better to animals than they do to humans. His boss takes her dog everyday but whenever my son and his partner have applied to adopt a dog they have been refused. His partner works from home 2 days a week and always has done even before covid. He often says it would be easier to foster or adopt the kids he works with than to try to give a dog a good home.
Myself and Mr V considered adopting a dog but our ages go against us. Mr V is 70 and I`m not far behind and yes it`s true a young dog may outlive us but even before we got our late Bronte we made sure that one of our kids would take the dog if we were ever unable to care for her or if we died and every year we had her my middle son cared for her during holidays, had her for several weeks whilst I recovered from a broken wrist and has already visited our new pup several times so as to form a bond with her. We both know if the worst should happen that Pippa will go to familiar people and be well cared for.

Latest posts

Back