Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Trying to make sensible contingency plans as Mr L are totally on our own so making sure I have recipes for store cupboard goods in case of self isolation Problem is its okay if I’m doing the cooking but it will be down to beans if Mr L is in charge.

We're on our own, too, and I'm asthmatic along with a dodgy immune system. My asthma is cough-variant. I had a pull on the Underground when SARS was doing the rounds and the whole carriage moved away en masse :D

OH is okay if he keeps to a list - which is more or less what he's been doing for the last few years. I was stocked with some santiser as it comes with my catheters but my last delivery didn't have any so I guess the shortages have been gathering pace for a while.

I've a good few bars of soap here thanks to me not using the ones that have come with L'Occitane kits. I've been lazy over the last few years and just used liquid soaps but I used a soap yesterday and had forgotten how nice using a bar can be.

I don't know about masks. Every Chinese-looking person I've seen for last month (and I don't go out a lot) has been wearing one. Wouldn't it make sense for everyone to wear one as it would stop many of the infected droplets from being released? I'm aware they're not perfect but every little helps.

I was in hospital this week and used a toilet. The woman (presumably - I didn't see and after all the hoo ha about allowing self-ID men into women's spaces, my niece being flashed by a man in a dress and having seen two myself you don't know these days. And we all know a lot of men are lazy with personal hygeine) was just finishing up with her number two (being unusually polite here :censored:), unlocked, bypassed hand-washing and left. Ugh! A hospital of all places. I know they were grubby and clearly hadn't had a proper clean for a long time (gunk all around the seat hinge etc.), but that was just gross.

Hope everyone here manages and if anyone does get it, I hope it's mild for you.

Hubby has COPD and coughs quite a bit but he still is very active. People look at him in horror at the moment.
I had a stem cell transplant 15 months ago but I’m not panicking just taking steps to avoid crowds and public transport. I haven’t stockpiled anything. There is no hand sanitiser locally.

You're very brave. I hope you're okay now. It's one of my future treatment options but I don't know if I'm brave enough.

We'll have mobs out before long painting red crosses above our doors and making us wear Unclean signs!

Apparently it’s doesn’t matter what the temperature of the water is either.
Luckily I don’t have to travel with public transport but I feel really sorry for those stuck on the tube and packed trains.

I'd read a few years ago that certain gels don't work against Noro and that it's the physical action of scrubbing the virus off the hands that works better than anything. Plus the detergent action penetrating the outside of the virus.

I was perusing Q the other day and was really tempted by the set of 4 Loccy liquid soaps for £48 inc p&p. I managed to Nanny McFee myself and not get them but I thought they looked just right for the kitchen. Well today I have been down the DHS for my weekly shop and Putney is a handwash free zone, forget about sanitiser which the shops also don't have - I mean ordinary wash! I checked Waitrose, Boots, Superdrug, Sainsbury's and Wilko. So I regarded that as an authorisation to buy the Q set. I do my main shop in Waitrose and they also had no loo rolls and no kitchen towel. I felt quite fortunate to find a bottle of bleach! Putney has clearly fallen apart in the crisis. People were queuing outside Superdrug to register names for the next delivery of hand sanitiser...

The whole situation is very concerning and quite frightening, it’s like something out of a science fiction film but very real. I have asthma but like T said, I’m more worried for our sons and their families than I am for myself, we haven’t stockpiled anything either. Everybody stay strong and away from crowds, but even then it’ll be hard to contain but you’ll lessen the odds of getting I’ve read. Hope everyone stays safe, love you all. xx :love:

I’m sure I saw I W flogging a huge package of toilet rolls/paper towels/tissue the other day while channel hopping.

Thats nothing new though, they’ve sold them quite often on and off for years.

Basically what UK government is doing is trying to put an unfastened lid on it for a few months so that hospitals will be naturally less manic since winter illnesses should have passed and the virus is less in temperature over 24 degrees (that’s us stuffed as it rarely reaches 20} The cynic in me thinks there is an element of most getting through it and the casualties will just be glossed over.

I think the fever first is the main system then followed by coughs and sneezing (which I can do as an Olympic sport without a cold). Last week it was all about phoning 111 as soon as you had a fever this week it’s not to phone unless you have self isolated for 2 weeks and it hasn’t improved .

I thought The Donald hadnt included the UK in his clampdown because the idiot didnt know we are geographically in Europe despite Brexit but it seems it’s because of his golf businesses in Scotland and Ireland.

There is a good article in the Independent by Mark Steel about The Donald and the virus if you fancy a lighter moment.

We're on our own, too, and I'm asthmatic along with a dodgy immune system. My asthma is cough-variant. I had a pull on the Underground when SARS was doing the rounds and the whole carriage moved away en masse :D

OH is okay if he keeps to a list - which is more or less what he's been doing for the last few years. I was stocked with some santiser as it comes with my catheters but my last delivery didn't have any so I guess the shortages have been gathering pace for a while.

I've a good few bars of soap here thanks to me not using the ones that have come with L'Occitane kits. I've been lazy over the last few years and just used liquid soaps but I used a soap yesterday and had forgotten how nice using a bar can be.

I don't know about masks. Every Chinese-looking person I've seen for last month (and I don't go out a lot) has been wearing one. Wouldn't it make sense for everyone to wear one as it would stop many of the infected droplets from being released? I'm aware they're not perfect but every little helps.

I was in hospital this week and used a toilet. The woman (presumably - I didn't see and after all the hoo ha about allowing self-ID men into women's spaces, my niece being flashed by a man in a dress and having seen two myself you don't know these days. And we all know a lot of men are lazy with personal hygeine) was just finishing up with her number two (being unusually polite here :censored:), unlocked, bypassed hand-washing and left. Ugh! A hospital of all places. I know they were grubby and clearly hadn't had a proper clean for a long time (gunk all around the seat hinge etc.), but that was just gross.

I called someone back into the loo at our local garden centre earlier this week & 'asked' her to wash her hands. I wiped the door handle she had touched with soaped up paper towels & then dried it. Forget the current virus, the look I received was enough to kill me instantly. If there's one thing that's now obvious to everyone it's just how dirty people are.

I would like to hope that this just might make airlines think about how badly they clean the aircraft but I’m afraid that once the worst is over it will be back to a plastic bag being passed around. I’m always astounded at the state of aircraft no matter at what point of the day you travel. Is there no legal standard of cleaniness for this? Even in normal circumstances I rarely come back from a flight without a cold as everyone seems to splutter and cough.

is there any possibility that yummy mummies just might stop their brats jumping all over tables and seats in cafes after walking in god knows what - that really gets on my chesticles- my mother would have killed me stone dead if I had dared to do that.

I visit Venice at least once a year and have a live webcam of St Marls square on my iPad. Normally it is teaming with people but at the minute there is 1 person and 2 policemen there. So sad.

I have 3 trips to Eunope already booked long before this started so I have my fingers crossed that it has calmed down by the first in June as worried about my annual insurance policy which was in place when booked but will need renewal before travel which has never been a problem for the past 20 years but not sure about now.

I caught Crimewatch they are showing in the mornings after the breakfast news. Anyway, a police officer was warning about scam emails going out about your bank funds and the virus for safety move your money! I mean how f*cking low can the scammers go?

Not surprised as if they had even a modicum of conscience they wouldn’t be scammers. Dodgy call centres must be rubbing their hands in glee at the possibility .

I called someone back into the loo at our local garden centre earlier this week & 'asked' her to wash her hands. I wiped the door handle she had touched with soaped up paper towels & then dried it. Forget the current virus, the look I received was enough to kill me instantly. If there's one thing that's now obvious to everyone it's just how dirty people are.

I'm amazed you didn't get the ubiquitous 'F. off' response. Where was this garden centre, Miss? In the Farmyard?

I do enjoy your posts, Alter. Always so honest, & the 'number 2' made me laugh. I wonder if she dashed out of the entire lavatory area because she'd done a smelly one & was embarrassed that you were there to smell it?

There`s a 5 litre container of hand sanitiser on Ebay for £999, yep £999 and there are some stupid silly prices for tiny little 30ml bottles too. Rip off Britain strikes again.
My husband works part time as a taxi driver so he`s at high risk from coronavirus with people in and out of his cab, coughing , sneezing etc, handing him money and so on and as much as I love him there`s no damned way I`d pay £999 for hand sanitiser. He has wet wipes and a bottle of Anti Bac household cleaning liquid and every so often he squirts some into his palms, rubs his hands with it and then wipes over them with a wet wipe. He washes his hands when he can do but that tends to be inbetween fares when he`s buying fuel , or getting his lunch or visiting the loo.

I hope everyone stays safe, stays healthy or at worst gets this virus only mildly.

Figures from infected areas across the world seem to bear out that the elderly and those with underlying health conditions are most at risk. I have friends with asthma who are being extra cautious.

I'm due to fly to Tenerife shortly, so just keeping an eye on both UK and Spanish Govt announcements.

I've become very conscious of what unconscious habits I have, and others, too. I am trying not to touch my face under any circumstances. My handwashing game has improved. I haven't bought extra anything and by the sound of it I needn't bother trying now!

US Prez announcement of Europe travel ban is consistent with WHO stating Europe is now the disease epicentre but the exclusion of UK and Ireland has more to do with golf clubs and hotels than anything else IMO.

Latest posts

Back