Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm on the phone at this very moment, on hold, to the plumbing firm (British Gas) to see if they will reinstate my ruined ceiling.

And a gardening firm is doing estimates for the water company to reinstate my wall, fence, and lawn.
Nearly 40 minutes on hold so far waiting for an answer! Good job the water is not pouring through my ceiling.

Cartoon walkie talkie naming 252975046_5988183.jpg

I'm on the phone at this very moment, on hold, to the plumbing firm (British Gas) to see if they will reinstate my ruined ceiling.

And a gardening firm is doing estimates for the water company to reinstate my wall, fence, and lawn.

It all sounds like an absolute nightmare, strato. 😳

Wouldn’t the issue with the ceiling be covered by your home insurance though? My friend had a similar problem except part of her ceiling came down. Her insurance company sent an assessor round and then a builder came round and repaired the damage and the insurance company paid him. You wouldn’t know that there had ever been a problem with the ceiling now. We had the same in our downstairs cloakroom. Rain seeped in under lead flashing and into the toilet ceiling while we were on holiday. We came back to find part of the ceiling in the sink. It was sorted out very quickly after a phone call to our insurance company.

We had the same 2 years ago. Woke at 5am to the sound of water. The upstairs underfloor pipe had burst and the water was running down the dining room walls and there was 6 inches underfoot of water with the table, computer all swimming in it.

Insurance sorted it all, luckily we were well covered. Unfortunately we have just received our premium for this year and it’s horrendous despite it being 2 years ago. Not sure if a cheaper premium would have been so efficient plus I believe premiums in general have increased (why? Not bliddy Brexit or drivers can be blamed).

Funnily I had 3 battery operated candles in a massive glass storm candle with sand at the bottom The glass was filled with water with the candles floating. TBH the decorative sand was a pain but once cleaned up and dried up the biddy candles worked ok!

If I have to claim on insurance the premium will shoot up next year. And if I try another company, they always ask if I've had a claim in the last 5 years.

If it ends up just needing repainting, it may be cheaper to pay for it myself. Can't do it myself these days :(

I will post a picture if I ever get the time to get it off my ipad.

We claimed twice on our insurance. Once when the toilet ceiling came down and once when the ex was practising his golf swing in the garden. He hit a small stone and then next thing the patio door glass went opaque and shattered. 🙄 It was a long time ago though but, to be honest, I don’t remember our premium going up. If it did, it wasn’t enough to cause the air to go blue.

If I have to claim on insurance the premium will shoot up next year. And if I try another company, they always ask if I've had a claim in the last 5 years.

If it ends up just needing repainting, it may be cheaper to pay for it myself. Can't do it myself these days :(

I will post a picture if I ever get the time to get it off my ipad.
This wasn't your fault so those who caused the issue need to deal with the aftermath. This sounds like more is needed than just having the ceiling painted.

This wasn't your fault so those who caused the issue need to deal with the aftermath. This sounds like more is needed than just having the ceiling painted.
It is gradually drying out, but will leave a huge stain. I dread to see my elec bill with a dehumidifier on 24/7.

It is gradually drying out, but will leave a huge stain. I dread to see my elec bill with a dehumidifier on 24/7.
Just a word of warning Strato, a few years ago we had a water leak through a bedroom sealing and a decorator advised us to have a stain sealing paint put on first as the water stain colour often leaks through just ordinary paint, even a couple of coats. We took his advice as we have had him do our decorating for years and it is still fine and stain free. I think Polycell do one called stain stop but bound to be others. Good luck with the drying out and repairs!

Pics of my ceiling. It is also running down the walls.

View attachment 22547

View attachment 22548
I am appalled at this. Water is the worst when things go wrong, it gets everywhere, and it's damned stressful. I think I would have been a lot less patient than you have been with the sorry performance of your utility company, whoever they are.

Latest posts

Back