Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

From some place called CDC
Washing by hand

• Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
    • 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water or
    • 4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water
  • Check the label to see if your bleach is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products, such as those designed for safe use on colored clothing, may not be suitable for disinfection. Ensure the bleach product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
  • Soak the face covering in the bleach solution for 5 minutes.
  • Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
they also say it should be tumbled dried and left in dryer until cold.

From some place called CDC
Washing by hand

• Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
    • 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water or
    • 4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water
  • Check the label to see if your bleach is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products, such as those designed for safe use on colored clothing, may not be suitable for disinfection. Ensure the bleach product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
  • Soak the face covering in the bleach solution for 5 minutes.
  • Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
they also say it should be tumbled dried and left in dryer until cold.
CDC is America's public health organisation.

I put my washable masks into a plastic box with a lid when I get back in the car. When I get home I put boiling water in the box and add washing up liquid to it, put the lid on and shake it regularly during the day. I then rinse it out and leave it out to dry for a couple of days. It’s probably an unorthodox approach, but as soap/washing up liquid apparently kills the virus because of its outer “cover,” I chose to do it like that. However, since I purchased the 3 layer disposable masks I tend to use those and so the reusable ones are now there as a back up.

I just swish my masks in soapy water for a good few minutes then squeeze the suds out rinse twice in clean cold water and then add a cap full of Dettol to the final rinse, then lie flat to let them dry. Mine are the stretchy masks and over time they do lose shape especially with taking off, putting back on etc. I have some disposable ones but try not to use them.

Someone's missing a trick here & needs to find a way to put copper on the outside of face masks, I know that sounds daft but I'm sure it could be done. It's a wonderful metal & is a natural disenfectant that destroys viruses; hospitals always had copper door handles & even though people didn't know about its benefits its been used for centuries because of its healthy properties.

Last edited:
Someone's missing a trick here & needs to find a way to put copper on the outside of face masks, I know that sounds daft but I'm sure it could be done. It's a wonderful metal & is a natural disenfectant that destroys viruses; hospitals always had copper door handles & even though people didn't know about its benefits its been used for centuries because of its healthy properties.

Try copperclothing.com. They've recently started selling masks with a copper component.

For washing masks, the easy way to do it is to spray it with Dew sanitiser.

Some on here may have remembered my posts about using Dew for hand sanitising and cleaning around the home (and some took the plunge and bought - hope you're still as happy as I am with it). Dew sells two products but only the Disinfect kills the viruses (the Superclean is the de-greaser version that kills most nasties but not all).

I've noticed lots of companies cropping up selling electrolysed water/hypochlorous acid recently. Several are selling on Boots.com for stupid prices (a tenner for a small bottle). Respro face masks sell a small bottle to disinfect their masks, too.

You'll still need to wash your masks to keep them clean of skin oils etc., but a spray of Dew on my hands before putting it on and taking it off and then a spray on the surfaces when it's off keeps me satisfied that I'm killing off any nasties that could get on my skin.

Mazza - glad to see you're getting there with your dressings. I've caught up with your posts and read about your using wipes. Did you know you can buy proper body wash wipes? I buy Carell wipes or Clinell Chlorexhidine wipes from Amazon or eBay for when I'm not up to having a shower. They're bigger, wetter and softer than face wipes and do a good job so you're not messing around with little wipes that dry up in your hand or get scratchy.

I wash ours at 60 degree wash, as I have been doing with most things during the pandemic.

Alter Ego, I did not know that but have put them on my Amazon wish list so I dont forget. I think I have similar on the go at the moment cos I swiped some from the hospital, on the basis that I had opened the pack so covid meant no one else could have it! My neighbour has body wipes on her list for me today but I shan't make a late change as I pester her enough as it is.

I had my little spray of Dew with me in hospital. I prefer sprays to the gels although I have a number of those. I also bought the Purdy and Figg Neroli spray and yes its nice enough but the Dew is perfectly fine I think.

Thank you alter, your recommendations are fantastic 💐 I love Dew products & spray my hands before & after touching my mask when I'm out & the product's got quite a lot of attention. I'm now off to measure my face for a copper infused mask

Thank you alter, your recommendations are fantastic 💐 I love Dew products & spray my hands before & after touching my mask when I'm out & the product's got quite a lot of attention. I'm now off to measure my face for a copper infused mask

I was just looking at these. https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/hands-free-hero-2-pack-by-must-have-solutions-570343?query=fh_view_size=24&fh_location=%2f%2fidealworld%2fen_GB%2fcategories@lt;%7bidealworld_8243%7d%2fcategories@lt;%7bidealworld_8243_15071%7d&fh_sort=-onair_iw%2c-new_iw%2c-salescash_iw then seen your posts about how good copper is, I never knew this ❤

Thanks lovely, they look great I've sent for them. Even before the Chinese horror I've always shuddered at the thought of what's on handles, ATM keypads etc & my nephew made something very similar in a DT lesson for me, I was daft & snapped it so it's now part of a plant support 🙂 Copper is a wonder metal; we like to think we're so clever but people knew how good it was thousands of years ago - women worked out that children didn't get upset tums when drinking out of copper cups & I think that's amazing.

Thanks lovely, they look great I've sent for them. Even before the Chinese horror I've always shuddered at the thought of what's on handles, ATM keypads etc & my nephew made something very similar in a DT lesson for me, I was daft & snapped it so it's now part of a plant support 🙂 Copper is a wonder metal; we like to think we're so clever but people knew how good it was thousands of years ago - women worked out that children didn't get upset tums when drinking out of copper cups & I think that's amazing.

Aw you’re welcome luv, good to know about the copper, every little helps, thanks ❤️ xxx

I’m going to have to stop reading this thread - I’m getting really paranoid again! :eek:
Please don't & I know it's easy to say that because I have to fight being germaphobic. I can remember being terrified by the stories of the cloud that was floating across Europe after the Chernobyl accident. There was a tv report about contaminated fruit & veg so I started soaking any we bought in a Milton solution & carried on doing it for quite some time. As I said we think we're so clever today but people have survived worse pandemics than the Chinese horror & we'll come through.

Latest posts

Back