Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

There is a wonderful modern film should be on Iplayer. Stan and Ollie showing how in later life they had to tour England and Ireland as both broke. In England, no one came to the theatres, as the public had forgotten about them. They appeared on TV and suddenly the shows sold out.

They arrived in Ireland, greeted like the biggest thing ever. There is film of them arriving in Ireland and crowds bigger than the Beatles.

True story, they came to Belfast and Stan broke his false teeth. My friend Lyn's dad worked in a dentist making false teeth, and he made very quickly a replacement for Stan. He had a signed thank-you letter from Stan, which used was framed and hung on the house wall.

Cartoon discount card ice scraper 271485445_101598413.jpg

Just received a text from our surgery offering me a shingles jab.

Anyone got any opiniond?

if I take it it will be No 5 this year I’ll end up like a pin cushion!

Have the shingles jab, Lati, we were offered it last year and I was happy to get it. I remember my mum suffering with shingles on her back and she was in a lot of pain, other people have said the attacks are horrible. Just a normal jab, and no issues afterwards.

Thanks - that was my initial thoughts as Ive heard terrible tales of shingles and it’s not something either Mr L or to a lesser extent myself could cope with at present.

I have had the shingles jab but I caught Chicken Pox a few years ago from someone who had shingles.Most people have had CP as a child, I hadn’t it was not something I would recommend although the GP insisted you can’t catch it from Shingles.Before the jab have a small site of shingles but immediately got the medication and it did not progress so act quickly if you suspect, that is if you can get near a Dr. these days.

I have had the shingles jab but I caught Chicken Pox a few years ago from someone who had shingles.Most people have had CP as a child, I hadn’t it was not something I would recommend although the GP insisted you can’t catch it from Shingles.Before the jab have a small site of shingles but immediately got the medication and it did not progress so act quickly if you suspect, that is if you can get near a Dr. these days.
I have had chicken pox twice. Once as a child, then again as a young adult. Second time was waaaay worse! You can get chicken pox multiple times although very unusual.

I was 12/13 when I caught chickenpox. My big brother was in his 30s when he caught it and the pox went down his throat. It is much worse the older you get it.

I am too young for the shingles jab, but my aunt had shingles and the doctor wanted to give her the usual medication, but a nurse lived next door to her and told her the best medication to get. So my aunt just told the doctor the name of it, and he gave it to her.

Measles, my mum had it a few times when she was a child. I never knew you could get it more than once? I remember when young my granny saying my mum nearly died, that was back in the 1920s.

I was 12/13 when I caught chickenpox. My big brother was in his 30s when he caught it and the pox went down his throat. It is much worse the older you get it.

I am too young for the shingles jab, but my aunt had shingles and the doctor wanted to give her the usual medication, but a nurse lived next door to her and told her the best medication to get. So my aunt just told the doctor the name of it, and he gave it to her.

Measles, my mum had it a few times when she was a child. I never knew you could get it more than once? I remember when young my granny saying my mum nearly died, that was back in the 1920s.
Measles is one of the worst things to get. I think I posted a link to a good article about one of the many nasty gifts it gives. Getting measles will give lifelong immunity. The disease has not really evolved, so much that the vaccine given today uses the virus unchanged in the last 50+ years!
Measles will be the only thing you have immunity to, once you are infected. It wipes out any infection/disease/vaccine generated immunity. You would need to go through all the vaccinations all over again. It can also be a horrible boomerang: it can come back years, even decades after your initial infection and give life-changing effects.
Today there are dangerous levels of complacency about childhood diseases of the past. They could, and did kill. They could, and did, alter the course of some survivors lives. They mostly are not eradicated; except for smallpox which is still experimented on in laboratories across the world. There are still pockets of polio in the wild too.

When you have had chicken pox, the virus remains in your system permanently but dormant... so another not so harmless one.

Just saying, cats do not lay like that on a floor stretched out.

On Facebook a few years back, an animal group I belong to found a group called Punch A Dead Cat. We got it closed down. But photos of cats laying like this with grown men laughing and waiting to punch the dead cats. Totally vile.

The top cat's eyes are partially open, another give away.

Strato, where did you get the photo from?

Just saying, cats do not lay like that on a floor stretched out.

On Facebook a few years back, an animal group I belong to found a group called Punch A Dead Cat. We got it closed down. But photos of cats laying like this with grown men laughing and waiting to punch the dead cats. Totally vile.

The top cat's eyes are partially open, another give away.

Strato, where did you get the photo from?
Somewhere on Facebook, I think it was a science group, and was an illustration of how Mendelian genetics work in hereditary.

Latest posts

Back