Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vienna your Mum sounded a right character !! Brilliant.

How about this. When at age 11 I started menstruating, both my Mum and Gran told me NOT to wash my hair or have a bath during this 'period' ! as it would give me a 'funny' head. For years I believed it and so I didn't.

To aid recovery after an illness, - and it was lovely to drink, my Mum would whip up a beaten egg and milk with a drop of sherry in it. Even now if I suffer with a sore throat and cant eat, I have a hot oxo and goes down a treat.

Honestly ? I feel sad that a lot of this generation's young mums have no idea about these old 'remedies' and will die out in favour or antibacterial throat sprays !!!!!
That comforting drink's a posset. I love The Box Of Delights, book & tv series, & there's a part in that where Kay asks for a posset, it's a lovely little scene watching it being made, albeit by the maid of the house who is still in uniform & working late into the evening.

It’s a worrying time not made any easier by a massive mistrust in any government and official spokes person. I wouldn’t believe a word which comes out of a politician‘s mouth even if he was giving me his PIN number to a Swiss bank account. Total w*****s and a waste of fresh air.

The chief health official should be the one giving out the updates, not Bojo the clown.

So in Sainsbury this morning on the way to work. A certain amount of tinned goods no toilet rolls, breakfast cereal aisle nearly empty, I use their own brand Weetabix none. I heard a staff member say they had massive order overnight but at 7.30 am when the opened the hoards came in. Oh, I did get two packets of Paracetamol! Walking down the aisle I spotted at the back of the shelf loads, seems people came in grabbed the front and it looked empty. I did say to a few shoppers there is Paracetamol at the back there.

I nipped into Holland & Barrett and decided to buy Echinacea I used to take it years ago as it boosts your immune system. The shelf was nearly empty none of the tablet forms so got the liquid.

Your'e not on your own LATI, aside from bread poultices, my nan would hang a cut onion over the bed so any germs we had when ill would be dealt with on the onion - a bit like the old fly papers attracting flies !! and then there was the.... wait for it....... sliced onions which were boiled in milk to eat in fighting a sore throat ! Strangely that seemed to work too !
I had some carbuncles on my leg when I was about 7. My mother swore by kaolin poultices,the hotter the better.

My Mum swore by bread poultices for boils and abscesses. She also saved the fat from cooking the Christmas goose, stored it in a kilner jar and us kids were terrified of getting a cough or a cold because she`d warm the kilner jar by the fire until the goose grease melted and then she`d rub our chest, throat and back with it and we`d go to school stinking to high heaven.
She bought all sorts of weird and wonderful concoctions from a local herbalists and brewed vile tasting teas from what looked like dried wood shavings but were supposed cures for all and sundry.
She didn`t believe in dental fillings and swore they poisoned your body and said if God had meant us to have lumps of metal in our mouths he`d have fashioned us in the style of robots.
Tampons were the work of the Devil in her eyes and when I was a young teenager and asked could she buy me tampons instead of towels, she went mad and said it was vitally important I stayed "intact" down there until I was married..
She insisted the USA sending men to the Moon disrupted the weather and we`d no right to poke our noses on another planet.
People who didn`t wash their net curtains weekly or donkey stone their doorsteps were lazy, purple eye shadow and eye liner should be banned, white stiletto shoes were common, Pans People weren`t right in the head prancing around in their underwear, the Beatles needed a damned good haircut and all that head shaking would give them brain damage, dandelions made you wee a lot, outside toilets were healthier for you and loose tea made a better cuppa than those new fangled teabags which in her opinion was like brewing tea in a sock.
As you can gather my Mum ( God love her ) was a one off original who`d be well into her hundreds by now but sadly died in her 60`s.

She sounds EXACTLY like my nan. And NO ONE has ever made a better cuppa than my nan. She used to brew Glengettie in an old tin teapot with a bakelite handle. She'd keep it in her old on-legs oven all day and just top it up with boiling water if more was needed. I have never tasted a nicer cup of tea.

How can I forget goose fat and brown paper wrapped over my chest and a cold was my fault for going out without a vest! I wasn't allowed to bath or wash my hair when I had a period and I started at age eight and a half - if I missed my Sunday bath because I was on I had to wait until the following Sunday :oops: The onion and milk worked for me, too. I suspect it was because it was so vile I had to get better or drink more (though the onion has vitamin C and anti-microbial properties and warm milk is soothing so I can see maybe where it came from).

She lived next door to a woman who wore white stilettos and purple/blue eyeshadow who it turned out actually was a "lady of the night" and who I wasn't allowed to talk to.

They were made of stern stuff back then. I miss both my nan and mum to this day and they've both been gone decades.

I remember Kaolin Poultice when I had Mumps, sitting in a darkened room with Measles, having my chest rubbed with Goose grease for a bad chesty cough and honey and lemon in hot water to drink. I’m sure there are many more and thanks to Vienna for those memories of your Mother.
We used to get our chests rubbed with a vile yellow cream called Musterol , I think that's what it was called. I still, remember the smell when I get the mustard out. Milk of Magnesia for stomach ache. Now that was disgusting,if I complained I got 2 teaspoons

Vienna your Mum sounded a right character !! Brilliant.

How about this. When at age 11 I started menstruating, both my Mum and Gran told me NOT to wash my hair or have a bath during this 'period' ! as it would give me a 'funny' head. For years I believed it and so I didn't.

To aid recovery after an illness, - and it was lovely to drink, my Mum would whip up a beaten egg and milk with a drop of sherry in it. Even now if I suffer with a sore throat and cant eat, I have a hot oxo and goes down a treat.

Honestly ? I feel sad that a lot of this generation's young mums have no idea about these old 'remedies' and will die out in favour or antibacterial throat sprays !!!!!

Absolutely. The rot seemed to set in when women went to work full time. They weren't at home to show their children (at least the girls) how to cook and clean properly.

Some of the old remedies were nonsense but when mum was at home to care for us when we were ill even the nonsense remedies would make us feel better.

A jar of Bovril was always on the shelf in my nan's for if we were under the weather.

However bad the situation gets please don't be tempted to eat either of these :oops:

Bread Poultice
  • First clean the wound.
  • Fold the handkerchief along the diagonal.
  • Place the bread on the handkerchief.
  • Pour boiling water over the bread to thoroughly wet the bread but not dripping wet.
  • As soon as the bread has cooled enough to be put against the skin, place over the thorn or glass. If you get the patient to do this themselves then they won't get scalded.
  • Tie the ends of the handkerchief around the wound to keep it in place. Again, let the patient decide when they can tolerate it. Encourage them try to do it as soon as they can put up with the heat. The hotter, the better.
Or there's this one:

Bread poultice
  1. Warm the milk in a small pan on low heat.
  2. Turn off the stove, remove the pan from heat, and let it cool so it's warm to the touch — not too hot.
  3. Place the slice of bread in the pan and let it soften.
  4. Stir the milk and bread to make a paste.
  5. Apply the paste to the skin and leave on for 15 minutes

Thank you - I remember the handkerchief now as well as it being as hot as possible. I remember only having one once on a boil. It hurt like hell but it worked.

It’s a worrying time not made any easier by a massive mistrust in any government and official spokes person. I wouldn’t believe a word which comes out of a politician‘s mouth even if he was giving me his PIN number to a Swiss bank account. Total w*****s and a waste of fresh air.

I had a phone call from an old friend who has 2 medical doctor daughters, both on the medical front line.

They have told her that the situation is far worse than the gov't are letting on. Hardly anyone is getting tested, so that the "confirmed cases" are a fraction of the real number, because the gov't doesn't want us to know.

She was trying to persuade me to self isolate NOW, not even to go shopping. Her daughters do her shopping (even though she is fit and healthy and has a car) and leave it on her doorstep so she doesn't have to go out. All this was way before the gov't suggested self-isolation.

They do drive to an isolated place (a beach) though, and meet up, but keep lots of distance between them.

I had a phone call from an old friend who has 2 medical doctor daughters, both on the medical front line.

They have told her that the situation is far worse than the gov't are letting on. Hardly anyone is getting tested, so that the "confirmed cases" are a fraction of the real number, because the gov't doesn't want us to know.

She was trying to persuade me to self isolate NOW, not even to go shopping. Her daughters do her shopping (even though she is fit and healthy and has a car) and leave it on her doorstep so she doesn't have to go out. All this was way before the gov't suggested self-isolation.

They do drive to an isolated place (a beach) though, and meet up, but keep lots of distance between them.
Yip! Wouldn’t believe a word the F*****s say.

Nothing like rubbing salt in the wound - Kipling item this morning is a traveller monkey! Didn’t see presentation but wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t hinted as a substitute holiday!

People told to order food online and get delivered, well seems at the moment online delivery spaces are for 7-8 April noting before. So some of us will have to go to the shops for food.

Hell, my vet even put up to phone ahead and they will deal with emergencies reordering prescriptions which I have to do for Delilah order over the phone and pay. When you arrive go to the car park phone them and tell them you are outside and they will bring the meds out. They will post them but if lost it is your responsibility. Annual boosters can be put back by 2 months.

I had contact from two neighbours this morning about emergency shopping! Excellent. I rang an elderly couple over the road to offer space in my weekly home delivery (of stuff bought in store not online) but had to stress I might not be able to get things they need (ie please do not ask for loo rolls). Apparently the shelves in our Sainsbury's are being stripped of key items daily. God knows how the elderly or sick are supposed to stock up for twelve weeks if the fit and healthy are doing this day in day out.

Cartoon KM toilet rolls 90521301_1545922462233.jpg

People told to order food online and get delivered, well seems at the moment online delivery spaces are for 7-8 April noting before. So some of us will have to go to the shops for food.

Hell, my vet even put up to phone ahead and they will deal with emergencies reordering prescriptions which I have to do for Delilah order over the phone and pay. When you arrive go to the car park phone them and tell them you are outside and they will bring the meds out. They will post them but if lost it is your responsibility. Annual boosters can be put back by 2 months.
True Donna and then you can't always get what you ordered delivered. I haven't stockpiled so we need to go shopping tomorrow as we have no children and neighbours are either in the same boat or looking after very young grandchildren. On the plus side(?) Lidl baked beans are as good as,if not better than Heinz and in Wilko yesterday loads of toilet paper,kitchen rolls and soap.

Finding the stockpiling SO selfish! :(

I have to do all my shopping online anyway and now my Carer is off because her daughter came into contact with someone with it (seems a person away to me but hey!), so can’t get usual supplies or even my prescriptions online ATM...

People are lucky they’re able to go out and try a number of different shops much as it’s a pain.

But I do feel so lucky that I have and can mostly use technology to order things online for me or my cat child etc, or use WhatsApp if feeling extra lonely...

There are plenty of people who don’t have internet and can’t or don’t have or use mobiles...

All this talk of bread poultices (you what?!) and the like is making me feel very young! ;)

In fact sometimes the forum in general makes me feel young (and I’m over 40 now!)

But it’s fascinating to read when I can and makes me miss my own maternal grandmother!

some of these old remedies and approaches really were the best! (And some were complete old wives tales LOL!)

If anyone has problems buying liquid handsoap from the supermarkets, try TKMaxx in their beauty aisles. Most never think to get it from there, but this morning my local store had shelves of it !!!!

Latest posts

Back