Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Apparently some Lidl and Iceland stores have allocated a morning time slot for pensioners. Hopefully they will have enough stock to make it worthwhile and that the pensioners don’t rip the arse out of it by stockpiling for Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

lidl here have announced that they have plenty of stock in their warehouses but what happens when that runs out. I imagine a lot of their stuff comes from Germany, Poland etc who won’t want to give up their supplies for Uk and where is the raw material going to come from to produce the stuff?

My Mum swore by bread poultices for boils and abscesses. She also saved the fat from cooking the Christmas goose, stored it in a kilner jar and us kids were terrified of getting a cough or a cold because she`d warm the kilner jar by the fire until the goose grease melted and then she`d rub our chest, throat and back with it and we`d go to school stinking to high heaven.
She bought all sorts of weird and wonderful concoctions from a local herbalists and brewed vile tasting teas from what looked like dried wood shavings but were supposed cures for all and sundry.
She didn`t believe in dental fillings and swore they poisoned your body and said if God had meant us to have lumps of metal in our mouths he`d have fashioned us in the style of robots.
Tampons were the work of the Devil in her eyes and when I was a young teenager and asked could she buy me tampons instead of towels, she went mad and said it was vitally important I stayed "intact" down there until I was married..
She insisted the USA sending men to the Moon disrupted the weather and we`d no right to poke our noses on another planet.
People who didn`t wash their net curtains weekly or donkey stone their doorsteps were lazy, purple eye shadow and eye liner should be banned, white stiletto shoes were common, Pans People weren`t right in the head prancing around in their underwear, the Beatles needed a damned good haircut and all that head shaking would give them brain damage, dandelions made you wee a lot, outside toilets were healthier for you and loose tea made a better cuppa than those new fangled teabags which in her opinion was like brewing tea in a sock.
As you can gather my Mum ( God love her ) was a one off original who`d be well into her hundreds by now but sadly died in her 60`s.
Love this post xxxx

Cartoon KM toilet roll 88307171_101570.jpg

If anyone has problems buying liquid handsoap from the supermarkets, try TKMaxx in their beauty aisles. Most never think to get it from there, but this morning my local store had shelves of it !!!!
Yes Brissles,love ther soaps. Early February I bought a couple of bottles only to find when I got home I already had two at the back of the bathroom cupboard,oops.

I would like to think that when all this is over, as it will be, people will cleaner, more considerate & value the NHS by not abusing the system. Who am I kidding? My husband has just shown me a film on Twitter of people sitting on an open balcony of a restaurant overlooking mountains, I assume somewhere in Europe. An avalanche can be seen & a woman asks her husband if it's safe, he tells her it is because it's controlled. A few seconds later people start to get out of their seats as the snow hurtles towards them. However, this man is still watching, his wife & children are terrified & can be heard screaming "Papa" but he just pulls his son closer to watch it until the penny drops & he turns, pushing another man out of his way, & leaves his wife & children behind. My faith in my fellow humans is at an all time low but this man's arrogant selfishness has floored me.

Here's something doing the rounds now..........

" Did some shopping this morning. Saw a guy who’s trolley was full to the brim with hand sanitizers, baby wipes, toilet roll, soaps, everything that people need. I called him a selfish twat & gave him the low down about the elderly and mums etc who badly need those types of things. Told him he should be ashamed of himself. He said: “that’s all good and well mate but I work here, can I carry on filling the shelves now? "

I see Aldi’s version of C&P is on sale again but as I am confined to my little bungalow have ordered a few tubes online that is my contribution to stockpiling.I heard Chuntley say in my brief flip onto QVC the other day that Q would be our little ray of sunshine in these times.Don’t think I am that desperate yet!

On the beauty channel last night I caught an hour of Clean Hands! Now some from Xmas as a tree in the background and I thought I bet these have all been taken from various beauty hours just to have an hour of clean hands as the title. You can bet they never ever had an hour of just clean hands before.

Sainsbury is now only allowing 3 per person of the most popular items of food and toilets rolls. The first hour of shopping will be for the elderly and vulnerable starting on Thursday, not sure if it will only be every Thursday?

The supermarkets need to take control and stop people from buying so much at one time but people are so selfish they`ll just buy what`s allowed, take it away and then return and buy it again and again. The " I`m alright Jack but sod you " approach.
I`ve seen clips of people actually fighting over toilet rolls etc or emptying shelves of nappies or baby food. Much of which then ends up in small corner shops at an inflated price. I know that for sure because we have a small corner shop/off licence just up the road and I buy just the odd thing such as a carton of milk or a small loaf from there but his prices have recently doubled.
During and after the War people dealt with rationing and queued for hours even for the most basic of things and shared whatever they had. I`m not saying we should return to extreme rationing where we have to dig up our lawns to grow veg or be allowed just one egg per fortnight and a lump of cheese the size of a dice but the elderly and vulnerable need to be taken care of.
I have a couple of online friends who sadly don`t live near to me and they live alone, are in their 70`s, have health problems and no family living nearby. Both have tried to shop online and they either can`t get a slot or much of what they need is unavailable. One of those friends suffers severe anxiety and depression as well as her physical illness and she is in a really bad place worrying herself to death. Telling someone with mental health issues not to worry is futile and she is in a complete panic.

I read somewhere that, although some products are limited to a couple per customer, families are going in individually and buying their personal quota so they end up with more than they are allowed to have.

I’ve not stockpiled and, if I end up not being able to get something, I’ll do without until it comes back into stock. I’ve never understood why people stockpile at Christmas either, when the shops are only shut for a couple of days, but they were probably practising so they could strip the shelves bare when there is a real crisis, like now. I think that kind of behaviour is selfish because it means that people who really need things cannot get them.

Let us hope when the stockpiling idiots can no longer squeeze another item into their lairs that some normality will return.I am an over 70 who may venture out to a local shop in the hope of getting some milk and eggs, maybe a bottle of wine to stave off infection.Other than that it’s lockdown although I don’t have any underlying health problems others around me do.Let us all be sensible, support each other and make sure we survive!

My sister in law has had all leave cancelled at hospital and is having to do 12+ hour shifts every day - despite normally having Mondays off to care for her own poorly mum - placed an Iceland order for the family... 5 of them, think it was only place she could get.

All that got delivered was pot noodles, “smash” (which she hadn’t even ordered lol! The kids won’t know what it is!), and squash (the drink not the veg I assume!)

It’s all very well allowing oldies and disabled in to supermarket for “happy hour” but what if you’re housebound and/no slots left...?

Maybe I should start buying puppy training pads to cut up as toilet roll?!
They had plenty on my cat food order... ;)

Latest posts

Back