Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JUST IN CASE Covid-19 gets me I've made a will for the first time. It's not been delivered to me yet, and then it will have to be signed and witnessed at a distance.

And I've changed my lifelong view about being cremated and bought and paid for a burial plot instead in a place I'd like to be, and also paid in advance for the admin fees for internment and the planning permission fees for a headstone (a scandal IMO).

And yesterday I decided on a suitable funeral plan and paid for it in full.

Now I am designing my own headstone, and the stonemason will make it for me in advance (apparently this is not unusual). When the time comes, he will erect it for me, everything paid for in advance. I received the initial design and quote this morning, but am not touching it for the recommended 72 hours.

My son (who lives in Sweden) and daughter (about 200 miles away) are fully involved with this. All they will have to do is make one phone call, and everything will be taken care of, at no cost to them.

I've been thinking about this since BEFORE my 3-month lockdown, but I don't find it in the least bit depressing, in fact, it is very interesting and comforting. I am a bit angry about £100s for unseen fees like the planning permission to erect a headstone (which does not include actually erecting it) and for admin charges for burial (which does not actually include doing it).

I just want to get everything done and dusted ASAP just in case, but it will still take a few weeks for all the paperwork.

Last edited:
I am also uneasy about these go fund me requests. We have had people locally asking for money for funerals because their relative wasn’t insured. It appalls me when I read some of these things.

I believe, that if someone dies with no money for funeral, the local authority has to fund a basic burial/other. With a vicar. No one is just 'thrown out'. The only funerals permitted right now would not differ much from these basic ones, so don't give your money, or, if you find it hard to refuse/they pressure/give you bs, then politely make a donation to , say, the emergency fund, if the person died from CV19. Someone needs to make this known publicly to stop these undignified chancers. FFS people, save up!!!! No one these days goes without a thing! I bet many of these people have fancy phones/sky tv/other. I don't! Saving for home improvements!

I am also uneasy about these go fund me requests. We have had people locally asking for money for funerals because their relative wasn’t insured. It appalls me when I read some of these things.
I hope you told them politely to bum off.

Strato that is a really good thing to do. I've experienced a close relative die very suddenly and we had no idea what he would have wanted, burial, cremation, church, flowers, anything. It would have been so less stressful and upsetting if it all had been decided and paid for beforehand. You really have done the right thing and lets hope you don't need your plans for a very long time yet.

CC

My mum died 14 months before my dad & told us that she wanted a Humanist funeral with a hand painted purple coffin, she also wanted 'Perfect Day' for her contemplation music, we did everything as she had asked & her friends' faces had to be seen! My dad didn't say what he wanted so my sister & I gave him a very similar one with his coffin painted in the green of GWR carriages & it went into the ceremony to the sound of a steam train going uphill. They said everything about my parents. My funeral's arranged - Direct Cremation, my ashes to go up in a firework with a choice of two songs depending on whether My Mr T's still around. We had new wills & power of attorney documents drawn up a couple of years ago, I don't find any of this morbid, just organised & once done it's done & life continues.

Mr L keeps putting things off even though he knows it is stupid so too late now but if we get to the other end of this our solicitor will be the first stop maybe even before the hairdresser!

My arrangements have all been done by phone, email and post. I'm just waiting for the finalised will to be delivered, after seeing the draft about 2 weeks ago. All the funeral wishes will be in the will, including the plot number and the fact I have paid for it - - - mine for 100 years lol.

I first made a will when my son was born. He’s just had his 40th birthday. I’ve changed it three times since then. He knows which funeral director to choose and hopefully there’ll be enough money left when I depart this mortal coil for him to have me cremated, as I don’t want a burial. I keep telling the ex that he needs to change his will as he still has his original one from 40 years ago. He’s less organised than I am. ;)

I got round to making a will and arranging Power of Attorney last year although haven’t done the headstone! Everything will be handled by the Solicitor and they can take whatever from my estate.I know someone who died without making a will and everything went to distant family they hardly knew.

at the moment I nip into the supermarket, pick up my usual stuff, pay and go. I notice lots of people browsing at new products, reading the labels and comparing with another flavour etc.

for me personally, this isn’t the time for trying new foods, I can’t concentrate and I’m not feeling as adventurous as I am usually. I just want food I know & like.

I see they are flying in seasonal farm workers from Eastern Europe the first coming from Romania this week. Are they going to be tested before they leave? If tested after they arrive what happens then? Or no testing at all and god knows what we are starting all over again. Are we going to use up places in hospitals just so that vegetables can be picked cheaply. I think we will regret this.

I see they are flying in seasonal farm workers from Eastern Europe the first coming from Romania this week. Are they going to be tested before they leave? If tested after they arrive what happens then? Or no testing at all and god knows what we are starting all over again. Are we going to use up places in hospitals just so that vegetables can be picked cheaply. I think we will regret this.

They having their temp taken before boarding apparently which I do not think is enough. UK long time unemployed should have been conscripted to do this work, as not enough people came forward.

Going back to funerals, I decided years ago that I wanted to "be a tree"! So, I don't care, once I'm gone how that is achieved... I too have no close family I have a brother who has a wife and cat and two sons who both have children, but I couldn't tell you the last time I saw them. I don't want a funeral, I am agnostic at best, and no one to attend at all, I can't see the point. In fact, in my ideal world you could only tell anyone who might be interested that I dead, gone and under a tree only once it's done and dusted.

Well, as I said before my body is going to medical research. The paperwork etc has been signed, witnessed and returned. I don't have a will there is money in the credit union which will go to local animal charities. I do have some jewellery we are not talking Liz Taylor which I always promised to a friend though no one wants Delilah because of her age and medical problems. The only thing I could do is let her go over the rainbow bridge?

Well, as I said before my body is going to medical research. The paperwork etc has been signed, witnessed and returned. I don't have a will there is money in the credit union which will go to local animal charities. I do have some jewellery we are not talking Liz Taylor which I always promised to a friend though no one wants Delilah because of her age and medical problems. The only thing I could do is let her go over the rainbow bridge?

That’s so inspirational Donna, I admire what you’re doing, if the worst happened (God forbid) and you need anyone to take Delilah I would take her for you, that touched me it’s so sad ❤ xx

In America you can donate your body to a body farm where they leave your corpse out in the open and use it to train scientists and FBI, CIA to spot the different stages of decomposition in order to ascertain how long a person has been dead. They let wild life and insects get to you so as they can also tell which kinds of injuries they make to a dead body, plus the different stages of insects from maggots, pupae to adult insect and can separate the cause of death from something like a coyote biting you or being eaten by maggots. All sounds gruesome but it`s helped educate many pathologists and law enforcement agents.

V that reminds me of what my dad used to say, he passed 23 years ago but always used to say “when I die just throw me in crate and lob me over the fence” we didn’t but I know what he meant. What a great idea that is by the FBI though, both that way and Donnas are both ways of saving lives, love it! ❤ xx

Latest posts

Back