Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’m so sorry for all of you stuck in lockdown on here 😔 Really hoping and praying 🙏 that by at least a month before Christmas everything starts to at least begin to calm down. .. I’m assuming people are allowed for walks at least ? .. we are on the edge of London and that’s looking likely to be locked down or restrictions very soon .. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a restriction order by middle of next month at the latest ... stay safe all of you Xx ... 😘

I have been sent to get the flu jab for years now because I have asthma since childhood. Never bothers me I have always been up and out the doctor's door like a shot. They always used to say you had to sit down for 10 minutes after getting it I am not doing that.

The pneumonia one was ****** sore I remember my arm was aching for days after it.
Yes I always get the flu jab .. my hubby like you has asthma and our youngest lad has an auto immune disease so he gets one ... I go to boots but that might not be this year as I’m not within the age bracket .. but that’s fair enough.

I have been sent to get the flu jab for years now because I have asthma since childhood. Never bothers me I have always been up and out the doctor's door like a shot. They always used to say you had to sit down for 10 minutes after getting it I am not doing that.

The pneumonia one was ****** sore I remember my arm was aching for days after it.

My arm is still sore from last year's jab. I knew t would be as the 'assistant' the surgery employed is a bit thick. I don't know how she got the job or how she's still employed there.

She squirted half my jab into the air then I'm pretty sure she stuck it in the wrong place. I've been having them for 20 years and never had one there before. She also got in a hell of a mess trying to wire me up for my ecg. Thirty minutes later there was a queue in the surgery and I still hadn't been wired up!

😷
On another forum, someone started a thread asking about the pneumonia jab they never heard of this before but it was mentioned in the papers. Had anyone ever had it and because of COVID should they be getting it? Two of us answered yes, and we only got it because we had asthma and it was several years ago.

So now the daily red tops are freaking people out about they need the pneumonia jab.

I had bacterial pneumonia 20 years ago. I was really ill with it and given the pneumococcal vaccine after I'd recovered.

People are idiots. The pneumonia jab will only protect against bacterial pneumonia, not a virus like Covid or even viral pneumonia. These are probably the same people who demand antibiotics for a cold or sore throat and now we're in a mess with resistance.

I'm actually surprised they haven't cottoned on to this and demanded it before now. I'm even more surprised my sister hasn't remembered I had the pneumo jab and asked me about it - she's the worst for inappropriate antibiotic demands. What surprises me the most, though, is that the GP gives in and gives them to her.

In complete contrast my partner has had 18 shingles attacks in 15 years and it always covers one side of his head and eye. He's asked for the shingles jab but has been refused yet the GP recommended he has it - if he pays £450 for it! He gets prescribed anti-virals costing (according to the GP) £125 a course. When he's 70 in just over a decade they'll offer it to him but he'll probably have had permanent nerve damage over the eye by then. He's under an opthalmic consultant for a rare eye disease who has recommended he has it but the GP still refuses.

My arm is still sore from last year's jab. I knew t would be as the 'assistant' the surgery employed is a bit thick. I don't know how she got the job or how she's still employed there.

She squirted half my jab into the air then I'm pretty sure she stuck it in the wrong place. I've been having them for 20 years and never had one there before. She also got in a hell of a mess trying to wire me up for my ecg. Thirty minutes later there was a queue in the surgery and I still hadn't been wired up!

I had bacterial pneumonia 20 years ago. I was really ill with it and given the pneumococcal vaccine after I'd recovered.

People are idiots. The pneumonia jab will only protect against bacterial pneumonia, not a virus like Covid or even viral pneumonia. These are probably the same people who demand antibiotics for a cold or sore throat and now we're in a mess with resistance.

I'm actually surprised they haven't cottoned on to this and demanded it before now. I'm even more surprised my sister hasn't remembered I had the pneumo jab and asked me about it - she's the worst for inappropriate antibiotic demands. What surprises me the most, though, is that the GP gives in and gives them to her.

In complete contrast my partner has had 18 shingles attacks in 15 years and it always covers one side of his head and eye. He's asked for the shingles jab but has been refused yet the GP recommended he has it - if he pays £450 for it! He gets prescribed anti-virals costing (according to the GP) £125 a course. When he's 70 in just over a decade they'll offer it to him but he'll probably have had permanent nerve damage over the eye by then. He's under an opthalmic consultant for a rare eye disease who has recommended he has it but the GP still refuses.
That's appalling, Alter. The GP should be reported: I don't think they're allowed to refuse treatment, on the grounds of cost. Can he get a second opinion, or better still, a new GP?

'People are idiots. The pneumonia jab will only protect against bacterial pneumonia, not a virus like Covid or even viral pneumonia. These are probably the same people who demand antibiotics for a cold or sore throat and now we're in a mess with resistance'.
I totally agree with you alter. We're an overcrowded nation but it's not so much population density that causes issues it's the density of the population...

That's a lovely positive comment SF. I've always been a glass filled to the brim person but this year's taken away my hope. My recently widowed friend has joined a group of people who are planning to take legal action because their loved ones died when operations or treatment were cancelled & one of our nephew's sons has been urgently referred to CAMHS because of his issues following his mum's death in April. I haven't skated through life without sad times however, for the first time in my life I can understand people going to bed & hoping that they won't wake up in the morning.

Late to the party (again) so soz if similar is repeated down thread:

Come on Miss!!!

Remember all those moons back when you gave me the 'big girl pants' talk?
This will pass, you can do it & you know this ('tough old bird')
Stop watching the news.

Come on Miss xx

Donna, should my Mom be getting this? She's 73, & doesn't have asthma?

That sounds all wrong. Please do something (complain effectively to someone...PALS?). Someone needs to get in to trouble about that.

'People are idiots. The pneumonia jab will only protect against bacterial pneumonia, not a virus like Covid or even viral pneumonia. These are probably the same people who demand antibiotics for a cold or sore throat and now we're in a mess with resistance'.
I totally agree with you alter. We're an overcrowded nation but it's not so much population density that causes issues it's the density of the population...

Indeed.

I fortunately don’t have any underlying health problems like asthma etc, but I had the pneumonia jab in 2018 because it apparently gives life long protection, but I didn’t have the flu jab that year. I did however have the flu jab last year and had this year’s one yesterday because, on both occasions, I got a text from the doctors’ surgery. I’ve never had flu, in fact I’ve not had a cold for ten years, but I think it’s better to be safe than sorry.
I had the pneumonia jab 20 years ago and have since had pneumonia twice. My GP told me whilst it was a good idea there are too many types of pneumonia,Legionella,Bacterial, Viral etc.

'Remember all those moons back when you gave me the 'big girl pants' talk?
Stop watching the news'.

Thanks mum. I stopped watching the news months ago & so get told what will make me a criminal by my husband, daughter or sister. I have been extremely immature today & bought a cardboard face of the Health Secretary or hand2cock as he's known in our house. I have defaced it in a very rude & libellous way & stuck something in his head. It's attached to the kitchen door & I've agreed to remove it if the gas people come to service the boiler, any other person from a random group of four who may wander into my kitchen will have to deal with it.

Last edited:

Sorry don’t know how my reply has ended up in the grey box........ae this happened to me November 2018, the nurse at my GP surgery gave me my flu jab too far up my arm. I had pain in the site were she injected that never went away, a year later I told the GP and he did some tests seeing how high I could lift my arm etc, then sent me for an ultrasound scan on my shoulder, turns out it’s Rotator Cuff Tear, I was supposed to end up having physio then Lockdown happened, so now almost two years on it’ll only get worse without surgery and even then there’s no guarantee it’ll help, so I absolutely know were you’re coming from ❤ xx

Good grief ! .. my hubby got singles last year .. nasty and for your partner to get it that many times and be refused the jab is crazy .. I didn’t even know there was a jab tbh .. I really hope it’s helped .. my hubby was really ill with it ... it was only one doc who diagnosed it ..two others ( out ofhours ) didn’t diagnose it. ...it Really dragged him down and then he got flu ( we think might have been covid but a long story ) left with a chest infection about 2 month after ... we had just joined a ramblers club to get healthy (love walking anyway ) and we only managed to go out once because I had a virus too 🤣 oh the irony

I had chickenpox as an adult caught I believe from someone with Shingles although the GP wouldn’t have it, but seemed like too much of a coincidence?Why does everyone presume you have had chickenpox as a child?!I felt really ill in the 4 days until the spots appeared, in that time I had to visit the Surgery two days running & only on the sight of a spot was it confirmed.The Dr. told me it is S**t when you are older, how true!

I had chickenpox as an adult caught I believe from someone with Shingles although the GP wouldn’t have it, but seemed like too much of a coincidence?Why does everyone presume you have had chickenpox as a child?!I felt really ill in the 4 days until the spots appeared, in that time I had to visit the Surgery two days running & only on the sight of a spot was it confirmed.The Dr. told me it is S**t when you are older, how true!
Yes, I agree! I had a second bout of chicken pox as an adult and it was everywhere inside and out. It is like it's a halfway house between childhood chicken pox and shingles.

'Remember all those moons back when you gave me the 'big girl pants' talk?
Stop watching the news'.

Thanks mum. I stopped watching the news months ago & so get told what will make me a criminal by my husband, daughter or sister. I have been extremely immature today & bought a cardboard face of the Health Secretary or hand2cock as he's known in our house. I have defaced it in a very rude & libellous way & stuck something in his head. It's attached to the kitchen door & I've agreed to remove it if the gas people come to service the boiler, any other person from a random group of four who may wander into my kitchen will have to deal with it.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Great news! Why not play a game of 'Pin the cock on the head' with it. Just make a large cut out penis, to substitute for the donkeys tail. Hours of fun!

It can very nasty having a childhood illness when you're an adult & even one that can be quite mild when a child, such as chickenpox, can cause massive issues when older. You can catch it from someone with shingles if you haven't had it before so the doctor was arrogant, ignorant or both. There's never been a vaccination against chickenpox & even though the spots are horrible compared with the horrors of measles & mumps it's not particularly nasty & maybe that's why it's been an illness mothers have been keen to let their children catch. Our younger daughter didn't have it as a child & when she caught it aged 25 she was really ill.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Great news! Why not play a game of 'Pin the cock on the head' with it. Just make a large cut out penis, to substitute for the donkeys tail. Hours of fun!
Great idea, I wish I'd thought of that before I pushed the knife through his head.

I don’t really understand the need to stockpile things because, even when we were in full lockdown, the shops stayed open in the main. I also wouldn't fancy clambering over a wall of toilet rolls stacked in the house or being confronted with dozens of packs of pasta in the food cupboard.

There was a young mum on This Morning yesterday who has bought enough provisions to last her until January. She must have a big house to store that lot. 😳

It’s ridiculous people never learn. There is only a shortage if people stockpile. I went in a supermarket this week and toilet roll aisle was half empty yet we have a large paper mill in the town churning out thousands every day and they have said there won’t be a shortage. Why do people feel the need to stockpile toilet rolls fgs.

There's only two of us so no real need to stockpile but last time I did buy the odd bag of pasta shapes and those little tubs of pasta sauce (which we never eat), along with some dog food that was the last on the shelves (and the dog doesn't really like!). When the shops started filling up again these items were just cluttering up the cupboard so it all went to the foodbank.

People buy tons of loo rolls and flour etc so they can re-sell it on ebay and fleece those that can't get out or get a delivery.

CC

We didn’t stockpile but each week bought just enough to keep our normal stock intact. We eat loads of pasta anyway so there is always a stack in the cupboard.

because hand soap and cleaner was like gold dust we bought (just) one when available which was more than we would normally use so we still have some so we won’t be buying extra this time.

To me Christmas is just the equivalent of a few weekend foodie days so Christmas lockdown won’t make much difference as I have enough special bits in the freezer.

Lidl today was pathetic regarding Christmas sweets and biscuits but I bought a few bits but knowing Mr L they will be long good by then.

Latest posts

Back