Susannah chastised for saying a 'naughty' word.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

marino5549

Registered Shopper
I've just watched the 8 - 9pm Trinny & Susannah hour and the presenter (Marverine) apologised to us for Susannah's use of the word '******'. I thought I was watching a Sunday school teacher telling off a child for 'using a naughty word' (her actual words). Poor Susannah didn't even know what word she's used that caused the offence. Seems very heavy handed to have to apologise for the word '******'. Marverine looked really embarrassed and put out by it and Susannah didn't know what the fuss was about but said sorry for using the word anyway. Isn't this just a bit 'way over the top'? Marverine looks as if she needs to get a life if the word '******' gets her all hot and bothered.

What guidelines do they enforce in Q Towers??? They need a reality check.

Didn't ****** see it but I would imagine Marverine was told to apologise rather than doing it off her own back , but who knows.

I agree, Autumn. I would think that, when they are doing their induction course as a new presenter to the Q, one of the stipulations would be that, should any inopportune comment be uttered by a guest, the presenter needs to address it, and apologise for it, on behalf of the perpetrator.
I think Marv was just doing what she has been told to do. Any of the other presenters would have done the same.

Was it on here or Facebook that people were complaining about a presenter saying "pain in the arse"?! My bets are on Jackie! People really need to stop being offended by words.

Was it on here or Facebook that people were complaining about a presenter saying "pain in the arse"?! My bets are on Jackie! People really need to stop being offended by words.

I disagree... some words are offensive - not necessarily '******' but where do you draw the line?

Yes but Marverine also got flustered when they started talking about her husband and a zip up dress, it was as though she had been cautioned that S&T could be trouble and she must avert all naughtiness! S&T eject some fun into QVC even if their 'fashion' is overpriced and looked too small for the models!

They do regularly apologise on the radio (daytime any way) for people saying even very minor swear words. I actually thought it might be a "broadcasting regulation" issue.

I don't want to tune into a shopping channel and hear swear words, however mild people perceive them to be, a swear word is a swear word. And yes, the clothes are too small for the model, frilly cuffs half mast not a good look.

T and S have been on tele long enough to know not to swear. I think they do it on purpose - to get people talking. Looks like it's worked!!

Its all a matter of perception I suppose. I've never thought about being offended by 'hearing/listening' to swearing because it doesn't actually harm me - its a fact of life which will never change, so we live with it.

On the other hand, seeing animals/children/elderly/or those with learning difficulties being badly mistreated offends my senses and moral compass far more because I'm powerless to do anything about it.

By saying that before the 21:00 watershed Susannah contravened the offensive language section of the UK Broadcasting Code with which all broadcasters are obliged to comply. Before the watershed all language must be suitable for children to hear, and swearing isn't considered to be suitable. lf Marverine/QVC hadn't swiftly apologised they could have been sanctioned by Ofcom.

I don't like the range or the pair of them, but I occasionally I watch for a minute or so just to see if they slip up - I can't watch them any longer. When they are on, they always do or say something controversial just have a look on youtube. For me they are just coarse and I wouldn't touch their stuff with a bargepole, even if I liked it.

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about, sometimes words like that can just slip out... i think there's something very wrong when people complain about minor swear words (which can't actually harm anyone) but violence is tolerated in TV shows as a way of life... obviously not on Q, the most violent you get there is Ali Young telling a presenter off for going away in the sun lol...

T&S are laughing all the way to the bank. The more controversial, the more swearing, the more people watch and therefore buy, which keeps the viewers, keeps the profits, and all QVC has to do is to blush like a Victorian maiden to keep within whatever guidelines there are. I've heard "******" before the 9pm watershed on other channels so I don't see what all the fuss is about. Anyone out there who's listened to people who use the f-word indiscriminately, ie, every second word is f-ing this or that, will know that the f-word becomes merely that - a word, and as such isn't as offensive as it is when it's used as a one-off or in an intimidating manner. To some that's shocking, to others not. That's the way swearing always has been and always will be used.
I think the induction these presenters get must have particularly rigid guidelines which could be why Marverine does the eye-rolling and very few of the others appear natural. They're terrified to step out of line.
As for T&S - sorry, ladies, you don't shock me. I don't swear much but I hear it on the streets, so to me your swearing is simply a superfluous use of words. "Arse" sounds a bit coarse and in fact, out of context, so why use it unless you're simply drawing attention to a crude word by your posh accent and trying to make yourself look more street-wise? It doesn't mean you're any tougher than anyone else - as some of the people I know would tell you, using much plainer language than "arse". You're using it as a sales ploy, plain and simple. Sad, really.

Last edited:
"******" is used in the Harry Potter films which have been shown on national TV before the 9pm watershed, although there's usually a warning at the start of films about language content which isn't possible before a live show. It does come across as over-the-top when presenters apologise on behalf of a guest; Philip Scofield does it on This Morning and it strikes me that it actually draws more attention to the offending words. I also think that if the guest has talk-back then they should be directed to apologise rather than the presenter. The apologies are more cringey than the word "******". I also find it mildly irritating when someone mentions say "Asda" and the presenter is obliged to roll off a list of "other available supermarkets" which also draws more attention than just letting the word go.

I had to laugh when a T caller in to the Dyson TSV show kept talking about "Hoovering" her carpets, she must have said the H word about a dozen times! Their faces were a picture!

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about, sometimes words like that can just slip out... i think there's something very wrong when people complain about minor swear words (which can't actually harm anyone) but violence is tolerated in TV shows as a way of life... obviously not on Q, the most violent you get there is Ali Young telling a presenter off for going away in the sun lol...

You forgot about when Alison Young slapped Lee from Bareminerals , don't even remember apologising for it tbh :mysmilie_486:

I'm sure Marverine had a 'message in her ear' asking her to do that. She most probably felt a bit awkward doing it. If not, and it did offend her, she wouldn't have been alone - there would have been people at home who felt the same way. Who are we to decide what someone should, or shouldn't be offended by?

I would never want someone to apologise on my behalf. Susannah has a talk-back ear piece so the director should have told her to temper her language, I'm not sure that an apology, made by someone else, makes a ha'peth of difference if a viewer is offended.

The US guests sometimes use the word fanny (like fanny pack). Personally I am not offended but there will always be some viewers who will be. Like you say, where do we draw the line?

Inge :eek:)

Latest posts

Back