Tasteful?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Deasmum

Registered Shopper
Do you find tasteful the way Gemporia is engaging with the Queen's death? My mother thinks they are exploiting it to sell more, particularly their Jubilee stock. Yesterday I thought that some of the presenters were genuinely upset...

I saw Hattie yesterday who was obviously told to tone it down, almost speaking in hushed tones while still selling. Angeline earlier in the day was saying they were there so we wouldn't be alone. I thought they were just towing the respect line as best they could while getting on with business.

Yesterday they were constantly referencing the Queen's death and their feelings about it, particularly Angeline, who even brought her phone so that people could engage with her live via Facebook and Instagram while she was on air. Today they were selling the Platinum jubilee stock because "people were asking for it". I watched TJC and there wasn't this constant referencing, which I found interesting.

Yesterday they were constantly referencing the Queen's death and their feelings about it, particularly Angeline, who even brought her phone so that people could engage with her live via Facebook and Instagram while she was on air. Today they were selling the Platinum jubilee stock because "people were asking for it". I watched TJC and there wasn't this constant referencing, which I found interesting.
I think it's maybe just that Gemporia always interact more with their customers than TJC do as a rule and so, on this occasion, it felt more natural to do?

There's nothing tasteful about selly telly, ever. Let alone when coming back on air a day too early after such a momentous event. Shame on them.

Funnily enough when channel hopping last night I caught 30 secs of Hattie's 'heartfelt' monologue about the Queen. I turned over, no doubt x secs later her heartfelt speech would subtlety or maybe not so subtlety transition into 'now, we have a great ring to bring you, should be £10,000 but we'll miraculously flog it to you for £79.99.'

I couldn't believe the ghastly grasping justification on Friday from Angeline that Gemporia had decided to broadcast "to be there for you at this time, we are a family here". I, like many, was sitting sorrowfully trying to work, and over a cuppa thought I would check the Selly Telly responses. QVC had rightfully suspended programming as we know, but there was Gemporia, black lace everywhere, imploring me to share my feelings at the same time as picking over a wheel of lightweight jewellery. Shameless. And desperate.

I couldn't believe the ghastly grasping justification on Friday from Angeline that Gemporia had decided to broadcast "to be there for you at this time, we are a family here". I, like many, was sitting sorrowfully trying to work, and over a cuppa thought I would check the Selly Telly responses. QVC had rightfully suspended programming as we know, but there was Gemporia, black lace everywhere, imploring me to share my feelings at the same time as picking over a wheel of lightweight jewellery. Shameless. And desperate.
Always remember this, the selly telly machine (presenters, producers, buyers, managers, owners) don't care about individual viewers one way or the other. If anyone thinks they do care, they're deluded. All they care about is do you have sufficient funds or space on a credit card to buy some of their stuff. That is their sole reason for existing. To sell stuff. Always at amazing prices. Goodness, these channels should have charity status given they practically give their products away at ridiculously low prices ;)

There is no 'family', it's all an act, an act to make gullible viewers think it 'is' a family and that they do care.

They don't.

For me, the epitome of distasteful happened today with Angeline swapping her mourning clothes for a cheerful pink Destello jumper one or two hours ahead of its launch, showing blatantly that they are only "very sad", "respectful" and mourning until they have hideous Destello jumpers to sell. Shame on them!

Oh, I have just received an email from Gemporia saying that they are going to suspend broadcasting on Monday between 6am and 6pm.....

Oh, I have just received an email from Gemporia saying that they are going to suspend broadcasting on Monday between 6am and 6pm.....
We're watching National Geographic and they had the one minute silence at 8.pm.

It seems to be their excuse at the moment that they are there for their audience as company so that they do not need to be alone. So of course whilst you are here why not think about buying something bright and shiny!
What I am most dreading, not just for Gemporia but for IW and TJC and probably QVC, is after a short period any of these platforms creating and selling some form of souvenir if Queen Elizabeth II. Years ago Steve Whatley made the error of dedicating some piece of jewellery (Diamonique?) to the late Diana Princess of Wales. I think that he acted alone and got a slap for it but I fear something similar looming. That said I guess that all manner of souvenir tat will be made available from the usual suspects including some marques who will charge a premium for their offerings. These items will never again be worth the money spent on them.

It seems to be their excuse at the moment that they are there for their audience as company so that they do not need to be alone. So of course whilst you are here why not think about buying something bright and shiny!
What I am most dreading, not just for Gemporia but for IW and TJC and probably QVC, is after a short period any of these platforms creating and selling some form of souvenir if Queen Elizabeth II. Years ago Steve Whatley made the error of dedicating some piece of jewellery (Diamonique?) to the late Diana Princess of Wales. I think that he acted alone and got a slap for it but I fear something similar looming. That said I guess that all manner of souvenir tat will be made available from the usual suspects including some marques who will charge a premium for their offerings. These items will never again be worth the money spent on them.
The only channel to get it remotely right is QVC, staying off air until 7am tomorrow.

All the rest, the 'bargain basement market stall' channels if you like, have completely misjudged things, coming back on air tonight.

'Doing it for their viewers' aye right, anyone believing that is emmm gullible at best.

And yes, give it some time, they will start selling tat (over and above the tat they already sell) with the Queen's face stamped on it, all in the interests of honoring her memory you understand ... nothing to do with making a quick buck ;)

Latest posts

Back