The £500 'Discount'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

desertranger

Registered Shopper
There was something of a Freudian slip by Peter Simon on Friday's 'royal' furniture show. In the middle of a frantic sales pitch he declared that, "£500 is an enormous amount of money!". He was talking about the bonded leather chair he was flogging for £499.99, and although he went on to qualify the remark as meaning a '£500 discount', it was still a rare moment of honesty:mysmilie_847:

His sales partner was 'Mr Luxury' himself, Shaun Crawley, who spoke about similar chairs 'costing over £1000'. Utter nonsense, of course: within a couple of minutes of visiting amazon uk, I had spotted a similar chair to the one Ideal were selling for less than half the price https://www.amazon.co.uk/MADISON-ELECTRIC-AUTOMATIC-RECLINER-ARMCHAIR/dp/B0182J6NMO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41bjCUVe-TL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=844XE1CMGXG01VZR4EBS

Unlike Mr Crawley, I'm no 'expert' in the field of luxury furniture, but I do know that 'bonded leather' and 'luxury' are words that shouldn't really be paired together...it's also a little strange that an utter novice like myself can identify such a substantial saving for a very similar product in such a short space of time. It's quite ironic really; Mr Crawley citing other retailers who are clearly trying it on with their (supposed) £1000 plus prices, when Ideal's furniture-supposedly heavily discounted-is still considerably overpriced!

The comparison has about the same value as bonded leather i.e. pretending to be something it most certainly isn't (a bit like a certain 'expert' perhaps) :wink:

Despite their eyewatering price these Bonded Leather Pleather Plops are so very cheap looking, almost inflatable in appearance.

In fact they look like a pile of garbage, literally :mysmilie_59:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Those chairs are so ugly. I don't care if they'd make you breakfast and wash up after, they're horrible

Those chairs are so ugly. I don't care if they'd make you breakfast and wash up after, they're horrible

I should coco. They're also shilling Leather Cleaner to go with it, what's up with Flash?

It's good for Lino :mysmilie_59:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Apart from the £500 gaff, he was doing one of the golden envelope treats and he said 'good luck, yo............' he just managed to stop himself from what obviously was......'you're gonna need it'

He's such a twerp!

Rip off merchants. Won't be long before Simon and co get a spot on Rogue Traders...

Saint Peter really does just say and do anything and its obvious that IW are more than happy for him to do so!

Last night while doing an 23:00 show Saint Peter said more than once "in these wee smalll hours" ????? Unreal this isnt hard Peter really it isnt!!!! then in his closing ramblings he said and I quote "as my great friend Kenneth Wolstenholme (by the way he even made a balls up of pronouncing his great friends name?????) once said They think it's all over well these chairs blah blah blah.....................

IW as ever never fail to go lower in more than one way!!!

I think the heat massage recliners are dearer than the normal recliners.

Agreed. You can certainly pay a lot more for chairs with the extra functions, but the bonded leather types seem fairly generic and can easily (from what I've seen) be obtained for well under £1000. My amazon example didn't have the rise function, so it wasn't an exact like-for-like; however, It didn't take long to find one with all the same features, and it was still under £300 https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELECRTIC-RECLINER-LEATHER-MASSEAGE-ARMCHAIR/dp/B00WMYEISC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41M8MTfbvBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=8911EPT8RB0XG0PK4CFZ

Agreed. You can certainly pay a lot more for chairs with the extra functions, but the bonded leather types seem fairly generic and can easily (from what I've seen) be obtained for well under £1000. My amazon example didn't have the rise function, so it wasn't an exact like-for-like; however, It didn't take long to find one with all the same features, and it was still under £300 https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELECRTIC-RECLINER-LEATHER-MASSEAGE-ARMCHAIR/dp/B00WMYEISC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41M8MTfbvBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=8911EPT8RB0XG0PK4CFZ

Let's be absolutely clear here.

If these monstrosities were high quality and genuinely worthy of a £1000 price tag they wouldn't be made from Bonded Leather (actually it seems it's just the fascia of the padding that is Bonded Leather) nor would they be self assembly.

They surely aren't worth anywhere near £500, it's laughable :mysmilie_59:

How they don't blush when they come out with their spiel I don't know. They pluck a figure out of the air - £1,000 say - and tell us "this is what you could be paying".... well, if we're playing that game, anyone could say that you could be paying £1 million for one if you were completely stupid - but would anybody be that daft? They talk out of their rear most of the time.....and I don't mean the rear of their house. :taphead:

There was something of a Freudian slip by Peter Simon on Friday's 'royal' furniture show. In the middle of a frantic sales pitch he declared that, "£500 is an enormous amount of money!". He was talking about the bonded leather chair he was flogging for £499.99, and although he went on to qualify the remark as meaning a '£500 discount', it was still a rare moment of honesty:mysmilie_847:

His sales partner was 'Mr Luxury' himself, Shaun Crawley, who spoke about similar chairs 'costing over £1000'. Utter nonsense, of course: within a couple of minutes of visiting amazon uk, I had spotted a similar chair to the one Ideal were selling for less than half the price https://www.amazon.co.uk/MADISON-ELECTRIC-AUTOMATIC-RECLINER-ARMCHAIR/dp/B0182J6NMO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41bjCUVe-TL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=844XE1CMGXG01VZR4EBS

Unlike Mr Crawley, I'm no 'expert' in the field of luxury furniture, but I do know that 'bonded leather' and 'luxury' are words that shouldn't really be paired together...it's also a little strange that an utter novice like myself can identify such a substantial saving for a very similar product in such a short space of time. It's quite ironic really; Mr Crawley citing other retailers who are clearly trying it on with their (supposed) £1000 plus prices, when Ideal's furniture-supposedly heavily discounted-is still considerably overpriced!

The comparison has about the same value as bonded leather i.e. pretending to be something it most certainly isn't (a bit like a certain 'expert' perhaps) :wink:

They should be reined in with these comparisons that are not true comparisons - in my view it's totally dishonest practice (no change there, then). This Bonded Leather is carp and no way does it justify the high price tag comparisons they make.

If these monstrosities were high quality and genuinely worthy of a £1000 price tag they wouldn't be made from Bonded Leather (actually it seems it's just the fascia of the padding that is Bonded Leather) nor would they be self assembly.

They surely aren't worth anywhere near £500, it's laughable :mysmilie_59:

Ideal seems to have the same attitude as Bid; we'll say what we like to get sales until someone complains to the ASA and they tell us to stop it.

But we'll carry on anyway

:smirk:

They surely aren't worth anywhere near £500, it's laughable

I think your inflatable chair comparison was bang on; describing these chairs as 'quality' and 'luxury' is nonsense on stilts. Mr Crawley has supposedly spent many years in the luxury furniture business, so he must have some idea of what constitutes real quality and luxury...I can't really see him at home, relaxing on his bonded leather chair :smirk:

Peter Simon needs to be sucker punched, everytime he exaggerates or makes-up an outageous price. He wouldn't have a recognisable face after about half an hour...

:smirk:

I think your inflatable chair comparison was bang on; describing these chairs as 'quality' and 'luxury' is nonsense on stilts. Mr Crawley has supposedly spent many years in the luxury furniture business, so he must have some idea of what constitutes real quality and luxury...I can't really see him at home, relaxing on his bonded leather chair :smirk:
May be its a bondage leather chair :mysmilie_17:

They should be reined in with these comparisons that are not true comparisons - in my view it's totally dishonest practice (no change there, then). This Bonded Leather is carp and no way does it justify the high price tag comparisons they make.

The real scandal is that the authorities allow this material to have the world 'Leather' in it's name at all, it's quite clear it's to confuse punters. Debenhams sell a Bonded Leather Sofa for £318 and they clearly state the material used in their Sofa only contains 10% Leather. Ideal World don't offer any such information regarding the composition of the material used in their items.

Debenhams also state that, like most predominantly plastic materials, you should just use a damp cloth to clean it. I doubt this would fit in with the utterly appalling Shaun & Suzy's 'luxury' narrative. But perhaps even worse Ideal World were selling Leather Cleaner to go with it.

Goons. And another thing, if these recliners/massagers are so suited to people with restricted mobility then why is it supplied self assembly that takes two couriers to deliver it :mysmilie_59:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_320010000260_-1?pdpsku=7179727[/URL

The real scandal is that the authorities allow this material to have the world 'Leather' in it's name at all, it's quite clear it's to confuse punters. Debenhams sell a Bonded Leather Sofa for £318 and, unlike Ideal World, they clearly state the material on their Sofa only contains 10% Leather, Ideal World don't offer any such information. Debenhams also, quite rightly, state that, like most plastics, you should just use a damp cloth to clean it. I doubt this would fit in with the utterly grating Shaun & Suzy's 'luxury' narrative.

But even worse yesterday Ideal World were selling Leather Cleaner to go with it, scandalous :mysmilie_59:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_320010000260_-1?pdpsku=7179727

That Debenhams sofa bed is a dream come true for Mr Crawley. Just add an Ideal memory foam mattress and he'd have the ultimate in luxury and convenience sofa.jpg

Latest posts

Back