The Huntley - where has she gone ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

There's lots to consider... keep promises; don't borrow and not pay back; tell your loved ones you love them... often. Don't leave tons of cr@p for your loved ones to deal with when you are gone. Don't leave your paperwork in a mess... be kind to those you engage with, and if you can't try - to disengage from them.
I don't have kids so no grandkids. No in-laws past or present. I don't move around much but I feel I'm a rolling stone gathering no moss!
I just try my best. It might not be enough for some, but I can live with myself.
Damnnit you are (all) so wise....

I hate the thought of moving into a retirement village and being surrounded by everyone who's as old as or older than me and listening to stories of grumps, complaints and aches and pains (sorry, but that's what happens in groups of old people of which I'm one and I'd rather put up and shut up than inflict extra misery on everyone else). I love being part of a diverse community where I am - it's so much more fun and keeps me feeling (if not looking) younger! Even younger people tend to buy and stay put here and nobody is looked on as young or old, just neighbours. That's before I even get to the cost of the privilege of living in a cut-off community.

I've done my sorting out, shown the family what they should sell privately so they can get someone else to just do a house clearance if they want. But of course all that goes to pot if we go into care.

Are you a Windsor? 👸
No but having traced the family tree on my dad's mother's side we have an ancestor who was the brother of Robert the Bruce. My husband's ancestors were the de Cockaynes and came over with William the Conqueror and became High Sheriff's of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. So there I've gone off on another tangent haven't I.🤣🤣

No, and no dungeon, just one partner who was into S & M.

I wasn't, but I did oblige her!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No but having traced the family tree on my dad's mother's side we have an ancestor who was the brother of Robert the Bruce. My husband's ancestors were the de Cockaynes and came over with William the Conqueror and became High Sheriff's of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. So there I've gone off on another tangent haven't I.🤣🤣
While some of my Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire ancestors, on the other hand, were keeping your sheriffs in business by robbing and plundering as much as they could.

I'm 64 and a half, I work on average 35 hours a week in a store where I'm on my feet for at least 8 hours a day plus when at work I'm up and down a flight of stairs at least 30 times a day often carrying boxes of books.

My hobby is trawling through charity shops and car boot sales and I walk my dog twice a day.

I haven't got time to get old!

I hate the thought of moving into a retirement village and being surrounded by everyone who's as old as or older than me and listening to stories of grumps, complaints and aches and pains (sorry, but that's what happens in groups of old people of which I'm one and I'd rather put up and shut up than inflict extra misery on everyone else). I love being part of a diverse community where I am - it's so much more fun and keeps me feeling (if not looking) younger! Even younger people tend to buy and stay put here and nobody is looked on as young or old, just neighbours. That's before I even get to the cost of the privilege of living in a cut-off community.

I've done my sorting out, shown the family what they should sell privately so they can get someone else to just do a house clearance if they want. But of course all that goes to pot if we go into care.
I agree completely.

While some of my Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire ancestors, on the other hand, were keeping your sheriffs in business by robbing and plundering as much as they could.
I know I blame him for his ancestors killing Robin Hood🤣🤣🤣 One of the Cockaynes is buried in Ashover church I think it's that one.

Cartoon tom and jerry old age 220590733_98282gd.jpg

On the other hand my ancestors were Dukes of Albany and 2 of them were attained and beheaded in the 15th Century.

On the other hand my ancestors were Dukes of Albany and 2 of them were attained and beheaded in the 15th Century.
Isn't it fascinating how so many strands of good and bad, royalty and lowlife, come together in all our family trees to make us what we are today? I just love family history - mine is very diverse and you've reminded me I should get on with it again. I go through fits and starts. I traced a neighbour's family tree for him as a thank you for doing us a favour and he was stunned to learn that he was descended (way, way back) from European royalty. He kept saying, I'm an ordinary working lad - I can't believe this - even less could he believe that he was related to me on my Scottish side!

Isn't it fascinating how so many strands of good and bad, royalty and lowlife, come together in all our family trees to make us what we are today? I just love family history - mine is very diverse and you've reminded me I should get on with it again. I go through fits and starts. I traced a neighbour's family tree for him as a thank you for doing us a favour and he was stunned to learn that he was descended (way, way back) from European royalty. He kept saying, I'm an ordinary working lad - I can't believe this - even less could he believe that he was related to me on my Scottish side!
The strange thing is my mum's father worked in the coal mines and my husband's family,including him,worked in coal mines. I have great great grandparents that came from Northants and some of his family were from there as well. My sister has ,since she married in the 70's , lived in Mansfield and some relatives in the 1800s came from there. Very strange but fascinating.

As for the track and trace thing. I know someone who has a vulnerable daughter and last year she in lockdown was very careful. So a few months ago she got a text from T and T saying 'You are now safe to stop self-isolating.' She was freaking out as she never got the text saying she should be self-isolating as she had been in contact with someone.
We got a letter from NHS England telling us to self isolate. We got a letter about 4 months later telling us our GP had informed them we didn't need to self isolate. I have asthma and we are both over 70 but in good health. We have not been anywhere apart from opticians,dentist and for our jabs in 16 months.

Latest posts

Back