The Huntley - where has she gone ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think retirement villages are unnatural because we're not meant to live in single generation units. I saw this happen in a minor way when my aunt changed character completely when she established a play group & started speaking to everyone, much to my grandmother's exasperation, as though we were three with wet knickers & our fantastic next door neighbour had the same metamorphosis when she left general nursing & became matron in an elderly care home.
I agree to a certain extent. My Mum was lucky in that a lot of the residents had children (retired !!) who visited often and got to know the other residents. We ‘took turns’ to pop into their coffee mornings or fish and chip suppers.

I used to drive Mum and another woman the one mile to their weekly keep fit classes. A two hour session consisted of : 20 mins saying their hellos and catching up. 20 mins exercise, 40 mins tea break, more catching up and queuing for the loo. 25 mins putting their coats on and watching for their middle-aged kids or community bus to collect them like the school run !

We have housing association developments called Folds. Flats usually one story only, and they have a warden who lives in there is a group room for bingo etc if the residents want to go. My friend just turned 70 moved into one recently she needed to be in ground floor flat as she could not manage the stairs in her other council flat. She has leg and spine problems. The woman about is in a wheelchair otherwise the others all pensioners are out and about coming and going as they please.

Simon Wilson was incredibly rude with her some weeks ago and to be honest if that had been me I would have told him to shut up and stop being a ... “. As Catherine was being paid though she had had no choice other than stand there and take it. Yes I know they all get pad well for what they do and there are massive perks to the job but if it means having to stand there taking condescending s**t from up themselves designers/guests then they can keep their job.

We're all only guessing with nothing concrete to go on except a report from a friend that may or may not be accurate. If Simon Wilson was that rude to Catherine, QVC should look at that brand's representation - surely staff mental health is worth considering? Although when that conflicts with profits, maybe not. Having said that, the lifestyle these sales people chose is in the limelight, always looking perfect, always saying perfect things, always putting up with everything which means it's the toughest, the ones who aren't so sensitive to other people and the ones who can take anything dished up to them because they're too arrogant to see wrong in themselves who survive.

How do I apply?

Simon has been the same for years. There are a few he really likes and is happy with on shows including some models, others he just gets along with. Then we have the ones he really does not like and does not bother to hide it. Catherine and I believe Claire were in the latter group. I do remember seeing him on with Claire once, and he just talked over her.

Most gay men I know are extremely humorous and its a joy to be in their company, but equally there are a lot who can be worse bitches than women and can be very cutting in their dialogue. Simon falls into this latter group.

As for the mental health issue, I worked in mental health at our local hospital for many years, and obviously there were some seriously ill people. I'm glad that mental awareness has come to the fore in recent years - in fact my own Mum suffered 2 breakdowns in the 60's and was dosed up for life on addictive medication. However, I do feel we have lost a lot of 'backbone' in dealing with life's issues which we might have dealt with head-on a few decades ago. I see in every walk of life, from tennis players to knife wielding murderers - via the over reporting of the media - that 'they have mental health issues'. I myself faced working for a hateful female boss in the typing pool when I left school, and she caused me a lot of what we would call 'anxiety' now, but I soldiered on and dealt with it, and would no doubt be in therapy and 'hand held' through treatment today.

Most gay men I know are extremely humorous and its a joy to be in their company, but equally there are a lot who can be worse bitches than women and can be very cutting in their dialogue. Simon falls into this latter group.

As for the mental health issue, I worked in mental health at our local hospital for many years, and obviously there were some seriously ill people. I'm glad that mental awareness has come to the fore in recent years - in fact my own Mum suffered 2 breakdowns in the 60's and was dosed up for life on addictive medication. However, I do feel we have lost a lot of 'backbone' in dealing with life's issues which we might have dealt with head-on a few decades ago. I see in every walk of life, from tennis players to knife wielding murderers - via the over reporting of the media - that 'they have mental health issues'. I myself faced working for a hateful female boss in the typing pool when I left school, and she caused me a lot of what we would call 'anxiety' now, but I soldiered on and dealt with it, and would no doubt be in therapy and 'hand held' through treatment today.
It seems that many people expect to be permanently happy & when they're not they imagine that their mental health is being affected. I may have written on here before that I aim to be contented & see happiness as an absolute; it can occur in the quietest moments or from the most simple happenings, but should always be treasured. My maternal grandmother's favourite saying was The Magic of Ordinary Days & for someone who had been through terrible times before she was 30 her positivity shone from her.

I feel for Catherine its very hard dealing with your mum who is ill specially if they are of a certain age.

It seems that many people expect to be permanently happy & when they're not they imagine that their mental health is being affected. I may have written on here before that I aim to be contented & see happiness as an absolute; it can occur in the quietest moments or from the most simple happenings, but should always be treasured. My maternal grandmother's favourite saying was The Magic of Ordinary Days & for someone who had been through terrible times before she was 30 her positivity shone from her.

Yes Twilight, I think women like our Grandmothers faced incredible hardship and could only dream about the lifestyle we have today. My gran married a miner in the 1920s, the old sort who polished the front step, baked her own bread, wore a wrap around pinny all day and being the eldest of 13 would deal with all the issues her siblings brought to her. Most of us would have long crumbled with life in those days, - no time to be mentally ill, if they did it was off to the asylum ! Nowawadays its all about 'pressure' that causes heart attacks, anxiety and the inability to cope.

Latest posts

Back