The Huntley - where has she gone ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I had the pneumonia jab about four years ago and was told that it gave life time immunity, whereas the flu jab is finely tweaked every year. I’m not sure that any vaccine gives total immunity to something, but it should lessen the severity of any illness if you catch it. But thereagain, who really knows. 🤔
When I was 40 I had flu. (No jab - this was 1995, did it exist then ?)

I was so ill, I thought I was dying. Hallucinations, fevers, dripping with sweat but so cold. I lost 6lbs in a few days. Took me weeks to get fully fit.

I had my first flu jab as soon as I could, when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes age 56.

Since then I’ve had 2 bouts of flu - I was ill enough to recognise it as flu, but the symptoms were nowhere near as bad nor long-lasting. GP confirmed it’s still possible to get flu because there’s more than one strain “going around” every winter and the vaccine doesn’t cover all. 100% immunity is not possible, seems reasonable.

As long as I have my flu jab every winter, I don’t fear getting flu, based on my current health. Clearly flu is still a very serious or fatal illness for some people.

I’m hoping against hope that Covid & boosters will get most of us to this same stage.

Really, it is all over the place if you do need a booster pneumonia jab or not and the length of time?

I can't remember when I was first sent for to get the flu jab I have asthma? I know I got a letter from my doctor telling me to book an appointment and I did it ever since. My repeat prescriptions will have a note printed on them telling me to book my appointment each year. Then they started two different jabs one for over 70s and one under. So now get asked what age I am, they do the 70+ first then I am in the next group.

Just copied the following from the NHS website, which explains the diffferent information we have been told;

People aged 65 and over only need a single pneumococcal vaccination. This vaccine is not given annually like the flu jab. If you have a long-term health condition you may only need a single, one-off pneumococcal vaccination, or a vaccination every 5 years, depending on your underlying health problem.

Just copied the following from the NHS website, which explains the diffferent information we have been told;

People aged 65 and over only need a single pneumococcal vaccination. This vaccine is not given annually like the flu jab. If you have a long-term health condition you may only need a single, one-off pneumococcal vaccination, or a vaccination every 5 years, depending on your underlying health problem.
Thank you Noni. I was 61 when I had my one off pneumonia jab because of AF, a stroke risk.

I had mine at the same time as my flu jab and apart from being a pensioner and taking blood pressure tablets wouldn’t be considered vunerable - maybe different health departments have different policies and as there is plenty of cash in it for surgeries they will jab anything that moves.

I also had mine at the same time as the flu jab and was really ill for a few days. They took me by surprise by offering it when I turned up for the flu jab so I felt a bit bundled into agreeing. I think allowing an interval between the 2 would have been wiser.

I was 49 when I was given my pneumonia jab after a bout of pneumonia that took ages to recover from. I think I got the flu jabs for the first time as well.

Hi Mollie, I only just found this!

Thanks for the info about the grief trust - and others above - I didn’t know she had lost her brother :(

Didn’t know Lee had lost his lovely cat either...
19 years is amazing but no less painful :(

Thanks for remembering my boy, Alfie. He died the end of July and I miss him as much as the day it happened!
I had a right sob last night about it!

I think it’s just because of how very special he was to me, and the hole he’s left in my heart and home.

Sadly not well enough to have another cat atm but hope I will be at some point in 2022...

My mum has 2 of the same breed as mine was, and is getting a cocker spaniel puppy in 2 weeks (mad!!), so we keep saying I could have the boys (cats) if they can’t cope with it... as live round the corner.
But I think that would probably finish me and then off!

I’m really sorry your cat has gone blind?

I do hope she can adapt to life without sight and still enjoy things. Maybe just be much more home-based?
Good luck!

(And thanks for the candle tip too!)
Hi Loopy - I've only just seen as I really only come on the site these days to see the conversations that are going on. I remember very well your post about Alfie and waiting for the vet to visit. I felt your pain - I unfortunately have had to say goodbye to several cats over the years- but your bond with him was heartbreaking. I know it's the price you pay for having them in your life but it doesn't help.

Thank you for your kind words. It was a shock how quickly it happened. I noticed she was a bit unsteady on her feet one weekend and seemed to be misjudging distances, got her checked on the Monday and vet confirmed she had lost her sight due to hypertension. The only positive thing was the blood tests showed there was no other underlying conditions. I've had her 13 years and it was estimated she was 2-3 when I got her. It helps that as she has got older she no longer wants to jump fences and leave my garden. My other cat takes advantage - he sometimes shadow boxes but she tries to play box back. Trouble is only 1 in 10 usually land on target! Its early days still but she coping quite well - my vet says I am more traumatised than she probably is. I also have to remember not to leave anything in a new place (like kicking shoes off and not putting away) or move furniture about.

I do admire your strength in keeping positive and good humoured while suffering, as many forum members also do, with the cr*p curved ball life has thrown you. All the best for 2022!

Yes, she said that someone pretending to be her was asking people for cash/their bank details in return for a prize
Someone had set up a fake Instagram account apparently and like you say was running a fake comp. Would have to be a bit naïve to give over your bank details to a stranger to enter a competition, but takes all sorts I guess. I'm not on Instagram so no idea how bad it got, and I suppose it could have appeared very realistic. I hope no one on here got scammed and lost money :( If so, get onto your bank asap.

No mention at all that her Facebook account was hacked, but she just changed her name on Facebook to match the Instagram new name. She can't change the Twitter one to match it because it's too many characters - she has mentioned this in the past.

Latest posts

Back