The Huntley - where has she gone ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A girl I worked with had the middle name Pollock as it was her Scottish mum's maiden name.
In Scotland and Northern England there has been a tradition of the mother’s maiden name becoming the first name or middle name of a first born son. Robson Green is one example. I had several in my Scottish family. Not sure if it’s dying out, but surely a great way to have an unusual and distinctive first name (instead of bizarre spellings of more common names, which seems to be an epidemic at present)?

Was she married, and got the surname that way?
I know of women who have insisted their hubby takes their name rather than the traditional way.
Of course we are bizarre holding onto this nowadays in this country. Many other countries’ traditions include the woman’s name being incorporated; and passed down to the kids in some cases.
I always hated it at Wimbledon when Evonne Goolagong was put as Mrs R Cawley, and Chris Evert as Mrs J Lloyd. Talk about erasing identities. No other tournament did this, even in those days!
She was renewing the passport so did not have to send in documents or marriage, her previous passport was Mrs. Wally Chicken.

Imo girls are more savage. I had to nip a very nasty nickname being pushed on me by offering the originator an equally savage name I would call her if she persisted. Not nice, not kind, but with a mutually assured destruction situation, we instead signed a non-proliferation treaty to our mutual benefit. We were never close friends afterwards but fairly amicable, and I'm sure we both escaped mental scarring had the nicknames caught on.

'very much part o the qvc family'
lordy!

That response has (suffering from) mental health issues all over it
Someone asked where she was on the QVC community Facebook page yesterday. Reply from admin, Catherine is away for a personal reason, but still very much a part of the QVC family.
Same as last year then.

Latest posts

Back