The presenters tell fibs!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
Watched a few mins of Peter presenting the tilty table thingy. 'This is great for someone like me, overweight, out of shape, adding to my back problems that your tilty table will help alleviate ...'

MMmm, that's strange Peter. Overweight? Out of shape? But I thought all the keep fit stuff IW sells has been helping you lose weight and get back in shape?!? Certainly that's what you tell us whenever you're flogging it.

#Confused

#NotReallyConfused ... they're a bunch of make it up lying bacensored

:mysmilie_10:

And btw, the above post was typed with a HUGE dose of sarcasm ;)

I remember when Teeter were on QVC!

With Peter Simon, we get the same stories of overweight/unfit and the same miraculous transformation courtesy of the current piece of fitness equipment he's selling. I think he assumes either that customers have goldfish memories, or that people just accidentally find IW and then flick away never to return... either that or he is utterly shameless at making blatently untrue claims.

They're all at it, Chuntley came out yesterday with her usual gem "my friend asked me the other day, are they the real Yankee Candle at that price? and I said yes, yes they are" In the past she's had someone ask her "is that the real Baremineral at that price?" "Is that the real ABC bodywash at that price?" "Is that the real Elemis at that price?" "Is that the real Decleor at that price?" and the all time favourite, "Is that the real Benefit at that price?".........and so on, and so forth.

As for Peter Simon, he's an absolute idiot.

For the presenters it's just a job and they are under pressure to move stock. If they don't deliver they are out!
All of them long ago abandoned any misgivings or inhibitions about what they do-they know that it's not a rip off insofar as the customers get what they order and are usually happy with it, so why should they worry about telling white lies ?
Pretending that they use the product , love the product or have bought it for their mum is just standard sales patter -if a red warning flashed on the screen every time a presenter came out with a bogus claim of this type there would be no shopping telly.
At this level it's no worse than the sales practice in many other industries - it's just the fact that it's all done in public that makes it more open to scrutiny.
The real problems arise when ,as happened on Bid , the presenters are not monitored and regulated and they start to take bigger and bigger risks which descend into serious false claims, not just about their grannie's bad back but about the provenance and value of the products they are selling.
Anyone remember Thomas Earnshaw watches ? Or the Thomas Brooks suit which a certain presenter (still active on IW ) claimed was from 'Thomas Brooks of Savile Row ' !!!!!!!!!!

They're all at it, Chuntley came out yesterday with her usual gem "my friend asked me the other day, are they the real Yankee Candle at that price? and I said yes, yes they are" In the past she's had someone ask her "is that the real Baremineral at that price?" "Is that the real ABC bodywash at that price?" "Is that the real Elemis at that price?" "Is that the real Decleor at that price?" and the all time favourite, "Is that the real Benefit at that price?".........and so on, and so forth.

As for Peter Simon, he's an absolute idiot.

A bit better I suppose that the usual BS that they say that goes "well I bought a bag of doritos and a can of coke yesterday, and I can tell you that it cost more than this exercise bike", so saying something like my friend can't believe how the stuff can be geniune at those prices, which is possibly a bit of a lie, but not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

What I can't stand is when they try and convince us that they own/use all the stuff they're selling - "I don't use my main oven any more, everything goes in my halogen" , but the week before they'd had us believe that they'd shaddazzled the main oven after cooking a roast dinner for 20 people!

Peter Simon....total twat....overweight? Not particularly I wouldn't think, out of shape, well for his age, probably not, back problems, who can tell? Put that porker Brodel on the thing and see how it fares!

I would imagine that it's quite hard for a presenter to wax lyrical about every product that's put in front of them, but they really shouldn't be allowed to tell lies, and if they do actually own some of the products, then they need to show a bit of footage of them using/wearing or what have you, outside of the studio!

There's no need to lie that such and such came up to them (Chuntley) or that they and everyone they know owns the item they're selling at the time (Chloe Evertons mum) or they love and own absolutely everything (yes that's you Jill Franks) if they can't do the job with honesty, let someone else do it. I feel the most comical thing about it all though is the fact that they might actually think, for one single second, that people might actually believe anything they say. :mysmilie_15:

I wonder how much is producer pressure.

I flicked onto craft the other day and Loen was on with a male presenter he asked her how she was enjoying this channel.

She responded by saying "them" and pointing to her earpiece are much calmer here than the other side and that the other side were hopeless.

Personally I thought this was massively unprofessional even if it is probably true.

I have seen loen way back when snapping at producers on air and I don't have the same high opinion of her as others seem to (no doubt she is generally popular reading Facebook).

I have also seen her spout just as much as most on ideal where as now on craft she is very relaxed. DIFFERENT instructions from above can be the only explanation.

Is there such a thing as a "perfect" shopping channel though...I'm actually quite surprised that any of them are still here. QVC is pretty much a high street name ('scuse the pun) and I think it'll take a lot to get rid of them, they have their faults and fare share of annoying presenters,but on the whole I think they're still seen as professional outfit, where as IW was never such, but are fast descending down the slippery slope. Jewellery channels seem to be thriving for some strange reason, I find that weird 'cause one would have thought that Jewellery is something you'd want to look at up close before you part with your money!

For me I thought that the old "Littlewoods run" Shop! was the best channel that's ever been. They sold quality goods, had proper decent payment plans, hilarious presenters that obviously got on together really well and it showed! A little bit of exaggeration maybe, but I can't remember hearing any scaremongering, out and out lies, deceit re prices P&P was set at a fair price, and per order not per item, the phonecalls were free - and that didn't survive, mind you neither did any of the littlewoods shops on the high street!

I truly think that within the next 5 or 6 years, there'll be nowt left other than QVC and a few of the informercial channels available on uk tv, as it seems to me looking back, that good old fashioned honest selling by via the medium of tv (Shop! Argos tv) doesn't work

Mis selling, mis leading, scaremongering, hidden costs ...in a word shystering (sit-ups) doesn't work.....(IW, you're next btw!)

So what does work, what would work in the future...Obviously there is no future for shopping telly. QVC might just survive a while longer due to name and reputation!

It's funny isn't it, if you tick the boxes it's actually Ideal World that come out on top, cheaper/faster delivery, faster refunds, capped p&p, free returns, free p&p often and clearance just £1, one order number one p&p regardless of how many/different sizes/colours, if you have part of an item misssing they send you the missing part you don't have to return the whole thing, promotions are for everyone not just a select few, 14 days return policy even on used goods, flexi-basket you can add to, they answer emails in 48 hours and sort any problem out, and what has QVC got? A free phone number that isn't actually free you pay for it with the extortionate p&p charges and dearer goods. Considering Ideal World isn't American with a big multi-billion company behind it holding it up, I think 17 years on air isn't too bad.

Just to add I was a customer for twenty years from day one with QVC till I closed my account three years ago due to absolutely awful service and getting sent used goods, and I've been with IW since day one too, there's absolutely no biased I've just chose to stick with the company that I've got better value and service from, this is just my opinion of course.

It's funny isn't it, if you tick the boxes it's actually Ideal World that come out on top, cheaper/faster delivery, faster refunds, capped p&p, free returns, free p&p often and clearance just £1, one order number one p&p regardless of how many/different sizes/colours, if you have part of an item misssing they send you the missing part you don't have to return the whole thing, promotions are for everyone not just a select few, 14 days return policy even on used goods, flexi-basket you can add to, they answer emails in 48 hours and sort any problem out, and what has QVC got? A free phone number that isn't actually free you pay for it with the extortionate p&p charges and dearer goods. Considering Ideal World isn't American with a big multi-billion company behind it holding it up, I think 17 years on air isn't too bad.

Just to add I was a customer for twenty years from day one with QVC till I closed my account three years ago due to absolutely awful service and getting sent used goods, and I've been with IW since day one too, there's absolutely no biased I've just chose to stick with the company that I've got better value and service from, this is just my opinion of course.

Oh, I agree, IW still have the remnants of what used to be a pretty decent shopping channel, it's just the diabolical presenters that they've drafted in of late that's damaging everything that was ever good about them! So lets pick out something good about them, ok Flexipay...then one of the goons will quote the flexipay installment price as if it's the full price, someone could get mislead and they know it! Seriously, if that channel stands any chance of survival they need to throw out most of their presenters, especially the ex bid ones!

That is something qvc do regularly as well merry in my experience

Both wrong

What seems wrong is they have instructions to their earpiece from the gallery all through the hour, but when wrong prices are given live, for example, one quoted flexi pay is the full price, then they should be pulled up straight away. Could be of course no one listens to what is spouted, or are the people in the gallery to frightened to say anything?

PS is really shocking he frequently will say its the price of the flexipay without mentioning its the flexipay totally misleading and disgraceful selling tactics how this channel gets away with it is beyond me.

There's no need to lie that such and such came up to them (Chuntley) or that they and everyone they know owns the item they're selling at the time (Chloe Evertons mum) or they love and own absolutely everything (yes that's you Jill Franks) if they can't do the job with honesty, let someone else do it. I feel the most comical thing about it all though is the fact that they might actually think, for one single second, that people might actually believe anything they say. :mysmilie_15:
Do you mean that it's not true?? Gutted. :mysmilie_51: :mysmilie_476:

When I used to order from Ideal World, their delivery was prompt. That is one of the good things about IW.

For the presenters it's just a job and they are under pressure to move stock. If they don't deliver they are out!
All of them long ago abandoned any misgivings or inhibitions about what they do-they know that it's not a rip off insofar as the customers get what they order and are usually happy with it, so why should they worry about telling white lies ?
Pretending that they use the product , love the product or have bought it for their mum is just standard sales patter -if a red warning flashed on the screen every time a presenter came out with a bogus claim of this type there would be no shopping telly.
At this level it's no worse than the sales practice in many other industries - it's just the fact that it's all done in public that makes it more open to scrutiny.
The real problems arise when ,as happened on Bid , the presenters are not monitored and regulated and they start to take bigger and bigger risks which descend into serious false claims, not just about their grannie's bad back but about the provenance and value of the products they are selling.
Anyone remember Thomas Earnshaw watches ? Or the Thomas Brooks suit which a certain presenter (still active on IW ) claimed was from 'Thomas Brooks of Savile Row ' !!!!!!!!!!

Savile Row, Shanghai

Ideal world can become great again. If iw gets rid off all the presenters including original presenters, except fayon cottrell she seems nice. Get rid of fitness rubbish. and get rid of rick hay. And great rid of rubbish technology products.

Latest posts

Back