They've changed my favourite coffee....gggrrr!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
A couple of years ago I discovered Co-op's own brand fairtrade decaf ground coffee. It is honestly the nicest coffee I've ever tasted and one would never guess in a million years that it's decaf either. During lockdown I've been unable to get it as coffee supplies in co-op have been very sparse. I contacted the co-op to enquire as to whether it had been discontinued or just a shortage due to lockdown. I was told that it was the latter and to keep an eye open as it would be back on the shelves as soon as possible. Finally yesterday I noticed it was back yay! There was only 3 packets left on the shelf so I decided to buy two. In the queue though I noticed that the words "Italian Style" had been added to the description. So I though....mmmm I hope it's still the same. I decided to take a receipt just in case..and sure enough it's changed! It's disgustingly strong, but a harsh sort of strong and extremely bitter..I couldn't even finish the cup. Gonna take the unopened one back and probably bin the other. So disappointing. I'm guessing it's something to do with the pandemic so probably not the co-op's fault....but blimmin' typical!

A couple of years ago I discovered Co-op's own brand fairtrade decaf ground coffee. It is honestly the nicest coffee I've ever tasted and one would never guess in a million years that it's decaf either. During lockdown I've been unable to get it as coffee supplies in co-op have been very sparse. I contacted the co-op to enquire as to whether it had been discontinued or just a shortage due to lockdown. I was told that it was the latter and to keep an eye open as it would be back on the shelves as soon as possible. Finally yesterday I noticed it was back yay! There was only 3 packets left on the shelf so I decided to buy two. In the queue though I noticed that the words "Italian Style" had been added to the description. So I though....mmmm I hope it's still the same. I decided to take a receipt just in case..and sure enough it's changed! It's disgustingly strong, but a harsh sort of strong and extremely bitter..I couldn't even finish the cup. Gonna take the unopened one back and probably bin the other. So disappointing. I'm guessing it's something to do with the pandemic so probably not the co-op's fault....but blimmin' typical!
Take them both back. At least the open pack is the “proof” you’ve tried it and know it’s different?
I bought a bag of grapes from Sainsbury’s once and they were horribly bitter.
Took them back and no trouble refunding. The woman commented on the fact that at least I’d not eaten them.
She’d had people just bring back the stalks previously!

Take them both back. At least the open pack is the “proof” you’ve tried it and know it’s different?
I bought a bag of grapes from Sainsbury’s once and they were horribly bitter.
Took them back and no trouble refunding. The woman commented on the fact that at least I’d not eaten them.
She’d had people just bring back the stalks previously!
I would've done if the words "Italian style" weren't on the new packs, that did lead me to think that it wasn't gonna be the same product, and of course I was right. Sadly they're still selling it and haven't gone back to the original formula. I guess not enough people complained, or they liked it...how I don't know - it was disgusting (well I thought it was). Sadly I've not found another decaf coffee to match that. I tried one from Aldi that's ok, but the original Co-op one was amazing!

I would've done if the words "Italian style" weren't on the new packs, that did lead me to think that it wasn't gonna be the same product, and of course I was right. Sadly they're still selling it and haven't gone back to the original formula. I guess not enough people complained, or they liked it...how I don't know - it was disgusting (well I thought it was). Sadly I've not found another decaf coffee to match that. I tried one from Aldi that's ok, but the original Co-op one was amazing!
As someone who loves both coffee & Italy I avoid 'Italian Style' coffee & think it's an insult to the glorious beverage the Italians make so well. Our favourite is Percol Smooth Colombian, it's medium strength & perfect for any time, day or evening. I love, love, love that its packaging is compostable.

I might give that a try as I know I do like Colombian as a rule, however, it's a great decaf I'm looking for. The original Co-op decaf I used to buy, you'd have never believed it was a decaf - I find it usually lacks. I find that both French and Italian style coffees you can buy in the uk are usually just strong and harsh, but have the coffee in the actual country and it's fabulous!

I might give that a try as I know I do like Colombian as a rule, however, it's a great decaf I'm looking for. The original Co-op decaf I used to buy, you'd have never believed it was a decaf - I find it usually lacks. I find that both French and Italian style coffees you can buy in the uk are usually just strong and harsh, but have the coffee in the actual country and it's fabulous!

We went away to a fabulous B&B near Clitheroe & they served this brand. It's gorgeous.

I think that Kenco do a decaffinated Columbian coffee, although I usually buy the one with caffeine. Lidl definitely do a decaffinated Colombian coffee because I picked one of those by mistake.

I only bought decaf originally 'cause I was finding having a coffee late at night as I often do was keeping me awake. I discovered the co-op by chance and as it was so good I ended up drinking it all the time - my thoughts were "who needs the caffeine, if decaf can taste this good" - I tend to have hot chocolate or tea instead now. Even though tea contains caffeine it doesn't keep me awake.

You need to do a major coffee taste test ☕It would cost a fortune but hopefully you'd find a good, even better, replacement. Unfortunately you'd then have the problem of what to do with ALL the coffee that got rejected & that could be a hoarding issue.

I can recommend Kenco Millicano decaf. I drink both the caffeinated and decaffeinated versions, and the taste is almost identical. It's not the cheapest but is often on offer.
I’m drinking the Kenco Millicano instant coffee at the moment as we are on holiday and no cafetière provided. Took a few cups to get used to it. I’ll try the decaf one as it’s about time I cut out the caffeine.

I've found a brilliant coffee...well coffee beans actually and that's Aldi's house blend strength 3 and they're lovely and cheap too. Sadly not decaf so shan't be using them as a bedtime drink but very pleased. Really good rounded flavour. I quite like grinding the beans myself!

You need to do a major coffee taste test ☕It would cost a fortune but hopefully you'd find a good, even better, replacement. Unfortunately you'd then have the problem of what to do with ALL the coffee that got rejected & that could be a hoarding issue.
To be honest if I don't like something I have no qualms about throwing it away, if it's food especially. I realise it's not very ethical of me, but it's only gonna deteriorate just languishing in my cupboard. When it comes to non consumables again I'm happy just to get shot and I never try and get any money for things. Stuff that is accepted by charity shops I'll donate to them and other things I've been known to put outside and ask people to take them. Funnily enough I replaced our kitchen tv this week and the old one is still in working order, so I placed it in a bag to protect it from the elements and put it out for someone...I'm sure someone will be glad of it.

Latest posts

Back