Today I bought....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Warning you have got me on a nostalgia trip now!Who remembers the Dept. Stores in London? I am thinking 1960s when I was a regular visitor with work.Swan & Edgar on Piccadilly Circus, Galeries Lafayette Regent St.,an up market store on Wigmore St.& one next to Liberty on Regent St.?the original Biba on Church St. Kensington etc.

Warning you have got me on a nostalgia trip now!Who remembers the Dept. Stores in London? I am thinking 1960s when I was a regular visitor with work.Swan & Edgar on Piccadilly Circus, Galeries Lafayette Regent St.,an up market store on Wigmore St.& one next to Liberty on Regent St.?the original Biba on Church St. Kensington etc.
How lovely, I remember Galleries Lafayette - only went once & it must have been the year they closed the London store. I've always seen a trip up to London as a treat, my Mr T's a Londoner & views it as a long-winded visit to his local shops!

Today I bought stamps & told a woman in the queue what I thought of her - she was a nurse in uniform, including the most revolting pair of crocs I've ever seen. When I asked her if she was vet's nurse or one caring for humans a man said he'd asked her & she wouldn't say. I was so angry I could hear my voice quivering & my final words were that she was a disgrace to her profession, fortunately I didn't stumble when I marched off.

Today I bought stamps & told a woman in the queue what I thought of her - she was a nurse in uniform, including the most revolting pair of crocs I've ever seen. When I asked her if she was vet's nurse or one caring for humans a man said he'd asked her & she wouldn't say. I was so angry I could hear my voice quivering & my final words were that she was a disgrace to her profession, fortunately I didn't stumble when I marched off.
I see you’re taking no prisoners today, T! ;)

I wish I had the courage to speak out about things people do and say when out and about, too.

I always took no prisoners even as a child. One of my friends says since she went through menopause she had turned into me. On another forum started a thread that people are angrier since COVID, I have always been angry and all women going throw or past menopause are.

I'm confused...did you say what you said 'cause she was wearing a clinical uniform in a non clinical environment - If that's the case let's hope she was on the way home from work and the clothes were heading for the washing machine, and not the other way around..or am I missing the point altogether?

Shopping in all its forms is no longer special. Whether it`s in bricks and mortar stores, online or on the telly.
Those of us who recall pre internet shopping from our teens can maybe remember how a shopping trip was a twice a year luxury.
Our local town had lots of small shops and a thriving market but no large stores. Money was tight back then, few people could afford lots of clothes or expensive toiletries and so trips to nearby "big towns" were something to be excited about.
As a young teenager I remember catching a bus into Manchester with my Mum a few weeks before Christmas and it was my special treat going to choose some new clothes as my Christmas present for that year. The likes of C & A, Freeman Hardy Willis, a much bigger branch of Woolworth and so on, were teenage heaven. A new dress from C & A, some latest style shoes from FHW and some new makeup from the budget ranges in the big Woolies. Sheer heaven and that trip would be the last one until nearer the Summer when it would be a return trip to buy a few new items for our one week holiday to Butlins.
My Mum treated herself once a year on our pre Christmas trip to a bottle of Youth Dew so we`d head into one of the big department stores which was a perfumed paradise. The minute you went through the swing doors you were hit with the smell of a thousand cosmetic counters, each manned by elegant perfectly made up women wearing name badges and brand uniforms or colours.
Some of the perfumes were already gift wrapped in gold paper and with a ribbon and whilst Mum was waiting to be served at the Estee Lauder counter I`d be wandering around the other counters and was bedazzled by the beauty of them and testing everything from perfumes to lipsticks. I`d travel home smelling of things I`d never smelled before and itched for the day I would be able to afford lipsticks in gold cases, cut glass perfume sprays, fancy boxed soaps or diamante eye shadow palettes.
Our treat was to have lunch in the department store restaurant and it was dainty sandwiches and tea served in a china teapot and teacups. Then the bus home feeling happy, chuffed with our few purchases and something to talk about on the school bus the following Monday.
My Mum would walk around the department store handbag department and gently stroke the (to her) expensive leather handbags on sale there. She owned about 2 handbags similar to the style the Queen still uses and she`d had them for years. She loved the smell of the leather in that department but always said her one black bag and her one brown bag would serve every purpose but I remember her falling in love with a beautiful dove grey one.
When I left school at 16 and got my first full time job (wage was £7 per week) it was my first time going Christmas shopping alone. I headed off one Saturday and the first thing I went to buy was a dove grey leather handbag. She still had and used that bag many years later and when she died in 1987 and Dad asked me to empty her wardrobe, there was the bag, well used and containing her usual embroidered hanky, a few sweets and a comb.
By heck those shopping trips were special and nowadays nothing compares, we can buy what we want more or less when we want and without leaving the house if we choose to.
Ah Vienna, what wonderful memories you bring.

I'm confused...did you say what you said 'cause she was wearing a clinical uniform in a non clinical environment - If that's the case let's hope she was on the way home from work and the clothes were heading for the washing machine, and not the other way around..or am I missing the point altogether?
To me it doesn't matter. Both are absolutely wrong. Going to work you are going to take all the contamination of your journey into a clinical environment: endangering colleagues and patients alike. Coming away from work you are spreading contamination from hospitals to the wider population. Both irresponsible imo. I know they are all under a lot of pressure in the NHS, but this is hygiene 101. Basic infection control, same as washing hands, masking up and not touching your face. If the medical profession don't respect that, what chance the rest of us?

I went for a Neom set including Candle, Reeds & body oil & arrived today.It is gorgeous and have had Neom in the fragrance I chose ‘de stress’ before from a local shop but although I am trying to shop local for the 3 items it was a very good price.I thought I was being a tad indulgent then convinced myself I should have had this on prescription.

I went for a Neom set including Candle, Reeds & body oil & arrived today.It is gorgeous and have had Neom in the fragrance I chose ‘de stress’ before from a local shop but although I am trying to shop local for the 3 items it was a very good price.I thought I was being a tad indulgent then convinced myself I should have had this on prescription.
Ooh, that’s a good one! I wonder if I can excuse more of my purchases with “I should have it on prescription”.

Regardless of whether going to work or going home she shouldn't have been in her uniform outside of her working environment - cross contamination works both ways & it's thought that up to 25% of hospital patients who've had covid caught it when in for another condition. I had just been to the hairdressers & they won't allow clients to take coats because of possible virus transfer so the sight of this woman in her scrubs & filthy crocs made me really angry. We're in Tier 3 & want to get out of it. I had stood in a queue of over 20 people waiting to get into the Post Office so that we could observe social distancing & it was like going into the Ark - 2x2, & on a personal level my husband has just had an emergency eye operation for torn retinas so I've stood in a car park watching the person who has my heart walk into a hospital on his own because of the state we're in. Our Post office is in a Co op so she was entering a shop selling food. She was selfish & unprofessional, I was incandescent.

Regardless of whether going to work or going home she shouldn't have been in her uniform outside of her working environment - cross contamination works both ways & it's thought that up to 25% of hospital patients who've had covid caught it when in for another condition. I had just been to the hairdressers & they won't allow clients to take coats because of possible virus transfer so the sight of this woman in her scrubs & filthy crocs made me really angry. We're in Tier 3 & want to get out of it. I had stood in a queue of over 20 people waiting to get into the Post Office so that we could observe social distancing & it was like going into the Ark - 2x2, & on a personal level my husband has just had an emergency eye operation for torn retinas so I've stood in a car park watching the person who has my heart walk into a hospital on his own because of the state we're in. Our Post office is in a Co op so she was entering a shop selling food. She was selfish & unprofessional, I was incandescent.
I hear you...and agreed it's pretty disgusting!

It's a pity they don't have to wear a number badge like police officers so they could be reported. I'm not into "snitching" but might make an exception in this case, now you've put your case, as it were.

When they go through all of the "what did we do well, what do we need to change" reviews at the time when we can all take a deep breath and return to somewhat or entirely normal; I think the issue of care staff - not just NHS - wearing their uniforms outside of their work environment must be addressed.
Police and armed forces don't wear their uniforms off duty due to security risks.
Fire service don't seem to go around in their gear outside of the fire station or call-outs, for practical reasons I suppose.
It seems to me that anyone who works in the health services and is around illness and disease should keep their uniform exclusively for wearing in a work situation. That includes their footwear.

I would hope that one of the positive things that could come out of this horrible year, is a greater appreciation of the value of simple, basic, hygiene measures. No need to spend a fortune on more chemicals, just soap and water, and changing your contaminated clothing when you change your environment. It should be the cheapest and easiest thing to implement, but I bet there are 1001 reasons why it isn't!

Latest posts

Back