Together & Joe Brown Sizing

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Many 'designer/branded names' like Together / Joe Browns / Joules appear to only go up to a size 18 / 20 / 22 on QVC. Yet these brands whether in catalogues or on their own websites clearly go up to a much larger size bracket - 26 or even 28.

I've discovered that despite being a 20/22, these brands tend to come up small, so their 20/22 would be a comfortable fit on a size 16 or 18, but us curvier and bustier gals would like the opportunity to size up too.

QVC are missing a trick here. Their larger proportioned audience do not want a never ending selection of poly/elastene just because its a cheaper option and 'will fit everybody' as the current stable of 'designers' offer us. so having these fashions made available in larger sizes can only benefit everyone - QVC, the brand and the audience.

Briss I find Together sizes come up huge. I bought a dress last year and I got a 10 but really I could have gone down 2 sizes in it (if they had them). Joe Browns on the other hand I need a 12 in their clothes and sometimes a 14 in a top. I think with JB they don't do a lot of stretchy fabrics and a lot of their dresses/tops are cotton so you therefore need a bigger size.

I think you're right that QVC need to do stylish, well fitting clothes for sizes over 20 and not just these poly sofa covers which are completely unflattering, especially to curvy ladies.

CC

Many 'designer/branded names' like Together / Joe Browns / Joules appear to only go up to a size 18 / 20 / 22 on QVC. Yet these brands whether in catalogues or on their own websites clearly go up to a much larger size bracket - 26 or even 28.

I've discovered that despite being a 20/22, these brands tend to come up small, so their 20/22 would be a comfortable fit on a size 16 or 18, but us curvier and bustier gals would like the opportunity to size up too.

QVC are missing a trick here. Their larger proportioned audience do not want a never ending selection of poly/elastene just because its a cheaper option and 'will fit everybody' as the current stable of 'designers' offer us. so having these fashions made available in larger sizes can only benefit everyone - QVC, the brand and the audience.
I couldn’t agree more with you on the sizing!

up to around 2/3 years ago QVC was the only place I bought clothes from as they did larger sizes. The quality was not great but they fit well kind of. Now I am a size 16/ 18 I would never buy their clothes unless its a brand and even then the prices are far too high.

It seems to me that QVC, well the uk version is alienating a vast amount of customers loyal customers who have perhaps bought clothing from QVC in the past because the high street hasn't catered for them properly both in size and style. It makes absolutely no sense, with some much competition online nowadays, and other retailers upping their game, for them not to. In fact, if anything, they've become complacent and lazy, and their attitude seems to be - If a larger lady can squeeze her arms/legs/backside into something then it'll do, the fact it can't be done up, or it looks too tight is by the by. The other common mistake is to think that all larger ladies need or want to be covered up somehow. So by offering them a collection of tacked together bedsheets, tablecloths, and picnic blankets, and using the word "drama" - that's job done is it?
As Brissles says, some of these companies do much larger sizes....so for Qvc not to offer them to their customers is pretty damned disgraceful really!

I don’t mind taking a chance on sizing, even ordering 2 sizes when I am not paying QVCs rediculous p&p charges.I am looking at an M&S jumper at the moment which I can click and collect for free, could even order 2 sizes.That would cost double p&p as they are different with Q and then the returns.

Yes I use JD Williams and buy a lot of Joe Browns from them, being 'a plus size' - also with free next day delivery having paid £9.99 for a years worth. Theres LOADS of JB lines been put up on the sale lines at the mo and I've gotten a few brilliant bargains around the £6 mark. That's a lot of catching up QVC have to do, I haven't bought anything clothes wise from them in around 15 years and I do feel totally snubbed by them -not that I'd want their awful clothes at ridiculous prices TBH

Last edited:
Briss I find Together sizes come up huge. I bought a dress last year and I got a 10 but really I could have gone down 2 sizes in it (if they had them). Joe Browns on the other hand I need a 12 in their clothes and sometimes a 14 in a top. I think with JB they don't do a lot of stretchy fabrics and a lot of their dresses/tops are cotton so you therefore need a bigger size.

I think you're right that QVC need to do stylish, well fitting clothes for sizes over 20 and not just these poly sofa covers which are completely unflattering, especially to curvy ladies.

CC
I am so glad to read this! I have 2 JB dresses in the same style but different patterns that I absolutely love. Usually a 10 but bought 12 as they have buttons on the bodice and I didn't want them to be too tight. But they are, could have done with a 14 really. I am desperately trying to get into them for the summer and am very hopeful. But I do detest vanity sizing. When I worked for a ladies fashion brand rather than introduce an XL size every size was reworked so we had S, SM, M, ML and L as opposed to S, M, L, XL.

Why Joe Browns larger sizes are in catalogues and not on own website.
An interesting read, and what a character !

It appears he only did the larger sizes as a 'favour' to his mate in the catalogue business, and clearly didn't live to regret it, but doesn't say why QVC or his own catalogue doesn't mention the plus sizes.

I am so glad to read this! I have 2 JB dresses in the same style but different patterns that I absolutely love. Usually a 10 but bought 12 as they have buttons on the bodice and I didn't want them to be too tight. But they are, could have done with a 14 really. I am desperately trying to get into them for the summer and am very hopeful. But I do detest vanity sizing. When I worked for a ladies fashion brand rather than introduce an XL size every size was reworked so we had S, SM, M, ML and L as opposed to S, M, L, XL.

I think that just encourages complacency in regulating ones weight within a healthy range.

Iv noticed sometimes even the models seem to wear clothes that are too tight too small - especially jackets - models wear jackets that don't even meet. I note alot of brands come up small compared to back in the day. Anything I am considering buying - If queen julia chuntly or flinty is wearing it - they usually look awful n it puts me off. Good adverts for what not to wear! Lol

I long ago realised that few people buy clothes that 'fit'. A lot of fat females - particularly younger, have little idea about how to wear clothes, and just want to look trendy - in their black leggings, and tops that are 5 sizes too small, with jackets that barely cover their busts. I don't just vent my ire at women, young men and most blokes haven't a clue either. Track suit bottoms and generally filthy trainers with a scruffy top seems to be their main uniform - even more so if they too are obese.

Pandemic aside, when was the last time you saw a good looking chap with a great (not fashionably stupid) haircut wearing a suit ? Rare as hens teeth. (I'm still drooling at Alberto (Miguel Angel Silvestre) in Netflix Velvet. )

Pandemic aside, when was the last time you saw a good looking chap with a great (not fashionably stupid) haircut wearing a suit ? Rare as hens teeth. (I'm still drooling at Alberto (Miguel Angel Silvestre) in Netflix Velvet. )
This is what I find so unfair about life.
If it’s a formal do or a dress up occasion, all a fella has to do is put a suit on and instantly looks smart and presentable.
Women spend weeks trying to find an outfit and all the bits to go with it. Then spend forever fiddling with hair and face. And the if anything like me, look at any photos taken and think “well it looked O.K on the hanger....”

Latest posts

Back