Trying to identify defunct shopping channel...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

LadyVee

Registered Shopper
Does anyone remember an early 2000s shopping channel, where different prices flashed up on screen for an item, and you pressed a button on your phone to secure it at that price?
I think the slogan was something like "you choose what you want to pay".
I always wondered how people felt about buying something for say £25 and then a £20 flashed up, so they paid more than necessary. Also there were some random ridiculously high prices - like £100 for something worth about £20. I wonder if people had to pay that if they pressed the button when that price was on screen.
I also remember a very excited presenter who would say "that's gotta be it!" when low prices popped up.
Does anyone know what the channel was called?

The auction channels were ridiculous really, especially the "up"ones where you had to keep ringing in to up your bid, couldn't be doing with it - FGS sake, just tell me how much you want for the damn thing and I'll make up my mind whether I want to buy it or not. I remember when the sit up bid channels were in their death throes and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to have auctions that would only work if enough people placed bids and if they didn't - they'd say "bad luck" not this time! Then they'd auction something else, and the same thing would happen and so on. I remember there being a much higher ratio of auctions that didn't go through than they was people actually managing to buy stuff! I don't know how anyone could've thought that wasting people's time like this, could be a successful business model!
The only defunct shopping channel I truly miss is SHOP! It was run by the Littlewoods group and whilst most of the stuff was available on the high street, it was good seeing stuff you wouldn't normally be able to see demonstrated, the prices weren't silly, P&P was per order and if you wanted, you could open a account which gave you three months interest free, you'd be sent a monthly statement which you could pay by direct debit, or in cash in the post office or bank. The presenters were really likeable and they usually presented in pairs and they all seemed to have a good rapport with one another - Like I say, I was really sorry to see them go!

One thing I do miss about going over to the sky stream puck is shopping telly! The more outrageous the better! So good for a laugh, or to find new products that might actually fulfil a need!

One thing I do miss about going over to the sky stream puck is shopping telly! The more outrageous the better! So good for a laugh, or to find new products that might actually fulfil a need!
They're not the same anymore, well at the least what I can pick up on Virgin/Freeview. There's only about three products that get advertised now and that is the octospring mattress, the steam cleaner and some kind of exercise contraption. I really miss the black and white VT's of someone struggling to fill a hot water bottle from a massive saucepan, or taking 20 minutes to peel a hard boiled egg!

They're not the same anymore, well at the least what I can pick up on Virgin/Freeview. There's only about three products that get advertised now and that is the octospring mattress, the steam cleaner and some kind of exercise contraption. I really miss the black and white VT's of someone struggling to fill a hot water bottle from a massive saucepan, or taking 20 minutes to peel a hard boiled egg!
I'm sick of seeing the octospring mattress advert.

Latest posts

Back