TV 1080p.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

radio_dayz

Registered Shopper
I only discovered Argos TV on freeview last night. There was a female and a male presenter selling a 42" Bush TV. I think the man was a so called technology expert. He said that the TV was 1080p, and that meant it was a thousand and eighty pixels. :giggle:
And I thought that the sit-up shower talked a load of b****cks!

Don't you just want to give up with all of these shopping channels, with all of the nonsense that they come out with?

It **IS** and does mean a thousand and eighty pixels, or am I missing something here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
1080p = a vertical resolution of 1080 pixels
720p = a vertical resolution of 720 pixels
Full HD = a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels

:)

I'm afraid you are stumpy!

1080p means the screen has 1080 horizontal lines of resolution and the p means progressive. A picture of of only 1080 pixels would be just a a lot of square blocks.

A full HD TV picture is made up of around 2,000,000 pixels.

1080*1920 = 2073600 pixels.

Well at least you were as well informed as their technology expert.

Last edited:
I believe that it means 1080 lines rather than pixels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p but I and indeed Wiki have been wrong many times and will be many times again :). I guess the channel were hinting at the p standing for pixels, but it as I am sure you know stands for progressive :)

PJ.

(Sorry posted at same time RD x)

Splitting hairs there methinks!! :p

It is 1080 pixels on the vertical resolution...in tv speak/land this means exactly the same as saying 1080 (horizontal) lines...and neither necessarily mean Full HD.

And as noted, p is progressive (ie the screen in scanned once to display a frame) - i is interlaced (ie the screen is scanned twice to display a frame...alternate scanlines)

However, there is no doubt that the presenter could have been a bit more clear in his description. Do you think he thought the 'p' in 1080p meant pixels rather than progressive?

Last edited:
Perhaps I wasn't very clear. The presenter said that 1080p meant that the picture was a thousand and eighty pixels.That would mean a screen resolution of something like 50*25 pixels. Yes, the p in1080p does mean progessive scan.

Think you've been reading up stumpy.

Think you've been reading up stumpy.

Nope, AV and IT has been part of my living, and hobbies, for too many years now :p

I think, from what you said, that the presenter, whoever it was, thinks the p stands for pixels, rather than progressive, and that's why he said what he said. Am not excusing his lack of knowledge or presenting skills. But, I would say, compared to the bared faced lies that the ****-up presenters come out this, this Argos fellas comment is neither here nor there IMO.

And wait for 4k TVs to come out....then things will get confusing! :D

No tv channel in the UK transmits in 1080P only 720P.
HD ready TV will only show 720P even with a Blueray player full HD yes you will get 1080P with a Blueray player.
You should see super HD 4 times better still to come.

Latest posts

Back