UK Lash TSV 15/01/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mr L is pretty laid back and always says live and let live but fails to understand why lovely young woman want to look like deformed silicon dummies.

Most hated words - influencers and hack.
This reminds me of what my mother used to say about me when I used to go out with make up on and dressed up to the nines. "Why do you want to make yourself look like a freak!? - That was the most common one I used to hear. I'd often wear "gothy" make up including black nail varnish, dye my hair in unnatural shades, and on occassion had a rather extreme hairstyle going on, and the fact I had my ears pierced in three places was enough to send her into paroxysms. It was a phase, of course which I grew out of, but even during the phase, once I'd got home from that night out, off came the make up, the jewellery, the clothes, and to them I looked like a normal human being again (until the next time)!

The big difference nowadays are that these looks are permanent, the ways in which to achieve these looks are invasive, and sometimes ****** dangerous, and don't even get me started on tattoos! In my day, they were the staple of old sailors, and a few rather "scary" women (for the want of a better word).

If I wanted a fuller lip, I'd go over the edges with a lipliner, wear a strong coloured lipstick and then top if off with lipcote - Job done, and if anyone suggested back then that I could have them injected with some kind of filler to make them permanently fuller - I'd have been utterly horrified at the thought! As I'm typing this, I've been reminded of a frequent newspaper advert for "Sister Rose" cosmetic surgery and you could fill in a form and request a brochure, and how for a joke we'd fill them out for our friends and threaten to send them off ! I don't remember ever doing this, but my boyfriend do this to one of his mates and ordered him a whole set of encylopaedias!

Sounding like my late mother, and grandmother...These young girls do look like freaks, and unlike my generation, they're stuck with it for good!

Lati...I agree....I hate the term influencers....it's ridiculous...Don't mind a good old life hack though!

What is an ‘influencer’? I know it must be quite self explanatory but who would take any notice of such types.Well plenty! I read that some of these z listers have been unfollowed by many who are sick of seeing them flaunting in bikinis in Dubai. Has reality set in? Doubt it!

What is an ‘influencer’? I know it must be quite self explanatory but who would take any notice of such types.Well plenty! I read that some of these z listers have been unfollowed by many who are sick of seeing them flaunting in bikinis in Dubai. Has reality set in? Doubt it!
Someone who uses social media to influence others to buy certain products. Their followers will trust their judgement & opinions so follow their advice - very good marketing ploy. Not all influencers get sponsorship for every post, I look at some that dip in & out & love this one because Paula Sutton's photos are so pretty. That's a really shallow comment from a woman in her 60s & shows how easily this trend has been followed by so many.

https://www.instagram.com/hillhousevintage/?hl=en

If I wanted a fuller lip, I'd go over the edges with a lipliner, wear a strong coloured lipstick and then top if off with lipcote - Job done, and if anyone suggested back then that I could have them injected with some kind of filler to make them permanently fuller - I'd have been utterly horrified at the thought!
Do you remember the craze for putting your lips into a bottle cap, shot glass or small jar & sucking the air out? It was 5 or 6 years ago & the idea was to get Kylie Jenner's pout; we had a number of kids, Year 9 if I remember correctly, arriving at school with bruised faces & they were given a 'chat' about the dangers. If you do it with the cap from a bottle, don't do it for too long & make sure your lips are moisturised it works, but I'd never have admitted that to the students or the head 😚

Humans have always copied each other & social media is the latest way of doing this. Nearly 40 years ago women all over the world wanted a Lady Di hairstyle, before that it had been Twiggy's pixie cut & in the mid nineties it was the Rachel. In the 1860s Princess Alexandra was so popular young women copied her limp! They did this by wearing odd shoes with different height heels & they could even buy already miss-matched pairs, the princess had a scar on her neck, wore a choker to hide it & that became a huge fashion trend. There's nothing new under the sun, we've just created different ways of making it appear as though there is.

Teenagers and young women who want that lifestyle. Watching love island etc the influencers get free stuff, clothes, plastic surgery and expensive holidays. They want to seen as the popular girl who gets.the hot guy in the tabloids.

This is why I don't think enough is done to educate girls properly. The odds are stacked against them to start with in this world so a good education is so very important. I don't just mean ABC/123, I mean teaching them the importance of wanting to get good grades so they can support themselves and not expect freebies or a 'free ride' (no such thing) off men.

As a girl that was truly at the mercy of hormones that struck very early, I very much understand that they're a bigger influence than is helpful but I still believe that girls need a lot more support than they're being given.

Banging my feminist drum (again, sorry), I'm sick of hearing about the abuse so many women suffer at the hands of men. Watching Louis Theroux's documentary of prostitution was horrific. Those girls don't stand a chance and the law is of no help whatsoever. Why were they getting hauled off the streets and put in jail? Why not the Johns and pimps? While prostitution is the bottom of the pit, I don't regard these 'reality' shows as much better.

Society needs an upgrade desperately.

This is why I don't think enough is done to educate girls properly. The odds are stacked against them to start with in this world so a good education is so very important. I don't just mean ABC/123, I mean teaching them the importance of wanting to get good grades so they can support themselves and not expect freebies or a 'free ride' (no such thing) off men.

As a girl that was truly at the mercy of hormones that struck very early, I very much understand that they're a bigger influence than is helpful but I still believe that girls need a lot more support than they're being given.

Banging my feminist drum (again, sorry), I'm sick of hearing about the abuse so many women suffer at the hands of men. Watching Louis Theroux's documentary of prostitution was horrific. Those girls don't stand a chance and the law is of no help whatsoever. Why were they getting hauled off the streets and put in jail? Why not the Johns and pimps? While prostitution is the bottom of the pit, I don't regard these 'reality' shows as much better.

Society needs an upgrade desperately.
Society has a very thin skin & it's being stretched even thinner. All the recent slogans about wearing a mask to protect others were bound to fail, the message should have been 'Protect yourself & those you love' because fundamentally we don't care about those we don't know, despite Johnson saying that the crisis proved there was such a thing as society.

Humans have always copied each other & social media is the latest way of doing this. Nearly 40 years ago women all over the world wanted a Lady Di hairstyle, before that it had been Twiggy's pixie cut & in the mid nineties it was the Rachel. In the 1860s Princess Alexandra was so popular young women copied her limp! They did this by wearing odd shoes with different height heels & they could even buy already miss-matched pairs, the princess had a scar on her neck, wore a choker to hide it & that became a huge fashion trend. There's nothing new under the sun, we've just created different ways of making it appear as though there is.
This human hasn't, & doesn't - but that's just me - I've always danced to my own tune.

This human hasn't, & doesn't - but that's just me - I've always danced to my own tune.

Me too. I must lack social graces, though, as I'm considered 'difficult' by medical professionals, despite working with many. My friends just call me odd. In a good way (I hope!).

Latest posts

Back