Um.......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I adore chocolate. Very very rarely found one that I don’t like. My best memory of eating chocolate is being in a promotional area at the Hampden Court Flower show where they had chaise longues that you could rest on and they bought us samples of Côte d’Or chocolate. The only thing missing was cups of tea as large quantities of chocolate need a drink.
Heaven 😍

Mr CC was raging at a photo I took of him today. He said I made his stomach look big 🤬

CC

clothes must have shrunk? 😉😆

I’m 45, I have Cerebal Palsy, live with my parents who are nearly 70, already been given my inhertience as my dad would rather give it to me now, than the care system get it when one day I go into care

I think the giver then has to live another 7 years, or it won't work

I knew an elderly lady who was not very well off but extremely careful with her money. She worked in a factory until she was 70 and to save a few pence she walked to and from work (a fair walk), brought work home every night but was poorly paid.

She saved every spare penny and when she passed, the little she accumulated she shared it out between great grandchildren who just spent it in one go on trivial things and then got fed up in a short time. The money was worth much more when she was saving it and would have made a hard life a little easier rather than leaving it to ungrateful teenagers.

That is so sad lati :cry:

I think the giver then has to live another 7 years, or it won't work

Anything over your annual allowance goes back into the value of your estate on a sliding scale over the 7 years but your estate would need to be very substantial to be into Inheritance tax anyway. Just watch with gifting homes whilst still living there as that is considered deprivation of asset likewise when giving away to avoid care home fees as they can go back several years and look to see if you deliberately gave away to avoid fees.

Although I will be leaving my house to my brother & sister (I’m single no children), I’ve started giving my 5 nieces and nephews money from my savings as their early ‘inheritance’. They are all in their 20s and 30’s, buying homes, getting married and having babies. It gives me pleasure to help them out when they need it.

I’ve left everything to my son, barring some cash amounts to a few other people and to charity. I also help him out with more expensive things that he needs, although he can afford to buy them himself, and just simply tell him that I’d rather he had it now than when I’ve met my demise. I certainly don’t want the government or any other body getting any of it.

I’ve also added him to my bank accounts so that when I conk out he has access to funds immediately.

I first made a will when I got married, but have changed it twice since then when I lost my parents and then got divorced (although I have left something to the ex because we still get on well and I’ve known him since I was 18.)

I've only just made my will, prompted by Covid. Also bought a funeral plan and burial plot, as well as the headstone. I haven't seen my plot yet because of cemetery restrictions.

My children will just have to phone one number, and everything will be done without any hassle.

The council get money for everything, they even charge for planning permission to erect a headstone (NOT the actual erection, that is done by the stonemason, and is already paid for).

Although I will be leaving my house to my brother & sister (I’m single no children), I’ve started giving my 5 nieces and nephews money from my savings as their early ‘inheritance’. They are all in their 20s and 30’s, buying homes, getting married and having babies. It gives me pleasure to help them out when they need it.

Good for you, you clearly have a lovely relationship with your siblings children. I don't know whether its the way my nephews were brought up, or if its just a 'male' thing, but like you (no kids) I always did the 'spoiling' thing as they grew up, and gave them good cheques on their marriage, despite not seeing much of them as adults, but hey ho. However, little things have come to mind, like me being hospital having a hip replacement, and though they live in the same town, never came to visit, nor called to see if I wanted anything. Only see them for an hour on xmas day, and during this lockdown I've never had any contact from them at all. Well, none of them are kids, they're all in the 30's so the writings on the wall for them I'm afraid. Cant be bothered? well neither can I.

Good for you, you clearly have a lovely relationship with your siblings children. I don't know whether its the way my nephews were brought up, or if its just a 'male' thing, but like you (no kids) I always did the 'spoiling' thing as they grew up, and gave them good cheques on their marriage, despite not seeing much of them as adults, but hey ho. However, little things have come to mind, like me being hospital having a hip replacement, and though they live in the same town, never came to visit, nor called to see if I wanted anything. Only see them for an hour on xmas day, and during this lockdown I've never had any contact from them at all. Well, none of them are kids, they're all in the 30's so the writings on the wall for them I'm afraid. Cant be bothered? well neither can I.

In all the years I've been married to Mr Anna I've never had a birthday card off any of his family. Mr Anna gets one off his sister but I don't. We send her one. When his niece got married we were not invited to the wedding. There had been no falling out or anything either. They just don't include us. Quite hurtful really, but I try not to let it bother me now. Families, who'd have them.

Anna, Brissles that is appalling. I dont think it is just a male thing cos the lads in my block are helping me. I wonder if it is just blindspot over family. So they may have helped people near them for instance. Well probably not I guess. But given how much helping older relatives has been on the news over lockdown it doesnt take much to engage brain does it?

Yes I have a good relationship with them. I moved out of London 25 years ago and in the last 5 years 3 of them have also moved here. They were most concerned when lockdown started - I mustn’t go out, they would do my shopping. So sweet ! I’m 64 and although I didn’t tell them, I was doing shopping for neighbours who are shielding due to age/health issues.

Do you all know that if you get married your will becomes void?

It may apply to divorce as well, but I'm not sure.

I think you’re correct about the will and a divorce. I keep telling my ex to change his will as I’m still the main beneficiary 😳 but obviously my son (who wasn’t born when he made his will) will inherit his estate as his next if kin, but it’ll be less straightforward although there’s no way I’d ever contest it.

And although I’m not bothering with a funeral plan etc., my son will get a list of the music I want played etc., and he knows I want to be cremated. I’m also leaving him a list of names and contact details of companies that he’ll need to contact, plus an “idiot’s guide“ of what to do. Mum did that for me when she died and, with all the information she left, my solicitor said I’d be able to do probate myself. I did so and it was all completed in ten weeks which the solicitor said was almost a record .... and, if course, I had no fees to pay to the solicitor. 👍

Good for you.

I think you’re correct about the will and a divorce. I keep telling my ex to change his will as I’m still the main beneficiary 😳 but obviously my son (who wasn’t born when he made his will) will inherit his estate as his next if kin, but it’ll be less straightforward although there’s no way I’d ever contest it.

And although I’m not bothering with a funeral plan etc., my son will get a list of the music I want played etc., and he knows I want to be cremated. I’m also leaving him a list of names and contact details of companies that he’ll need to contact, plus an “idiot’s guide“ of what to do. Mum did that for me when she died and, with all the information she left, my solicitor said I’d be able to do probate myself. I did so and it was all completed in ten weeks which the solicitor said was almost a record .... and, if course, I had no fees to pay to the solicitor. 👍
This is sensible & also sensitive because it makes things so much easier for everyone while allowing them to celebrate you & follow your wishes. We're now on our third will & everything I want is written down & easily accessible. Once done it can be put out of mind.

I am a size 14 and just can't drop any substantial amount of weight even when I try, been a member of SW lots of times. Had a hysterectomy this year and I have lost a few pounds but not much.
Anyway I was out at the weekend and an acquaintance was talking about a 'friend' of hers who she described as a huge girl. I asked how big is huge and she said 'oh a 16'. I thought she must think I am huge as well flippin eck.

Families, who'd have them.
We were once visiting Mr CC's family and we went out for lunch. His sister made a big thing about paying for Mr CC's share but I had to pay my own :oops: I wasn't bothered but considering they had recently come into a huge amount of money their thoughtlessness was gobsmacking. Can't talk though, my own family have been just as bad.

CC

A relative who was just at the point of finalising a divorce to a horrible spouse died in very tragic circumstances without a will. The ink wasn’t dry on the death certificate when the spouse made a claim on the estate as “next of kin” The family was so devastated they didn’t object so the spouse got everything including a house which hadn’t even been moved Into. Needless to say the family were expected, and did , pay all the expenses for funeral etc.

Latest posts

Back