Update - coated diamonds!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well I did say that I need their response urgently because I am deciding if I need to progress a complaint with the ASA. I suspect GC that they are dragging their heels over all of this because they assume it will all die down and we'll go away, but I won't because there is too much of my hard earned money tied up in these pieces. :pPC:

Thats exactly how i feel, i dread to think how much i have spent with them over the years and now i feel all my items may not be what i thought they were!

Just got back in GC and they have responded, with this:

Thank you for your email dated Wednesday 9<SUP>th</SUP> December 2009

I have looked into your query for you and I can confirm the emails you have sent us have been passed to our o<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:country-region w:st=
</st1:country-region>ffice in Thailand for investigation. We are expecting a full response by the end of the week in relation to your queries. As soon as we have this response we will contact you with the information.

Kind regards

We shall see. :pPC:

Oh my! That doesn't sound good, left hand doesn't know what the right is doing then! Or is this the stall tactic, next they will tell us that they are awaiting the response by smoke signal or pidgeon!

I've also sent a chasing email with a long line of product codes. I've given them until Monday to respond otherwise I will be reporting them to ASA / Trading Standards. Will let you know how I get on.

Well i have had a letter from gems tv which i had to sign for so missed it on Saturday my husband has just collected it on the way to work, i asked him to open and read it to me and he said there are pictures of my jewellery with all treatments listed, except for 2 items which Thailand are still searching the archives for.
I will report back this evening when i have tread it myself!

Just as he said a list of pictures and treatments, all my yellow and blue diamonds are irradiated and pink diamonds are natural other gems are heated and they are still awaiting the info on 2 items.
They have also apologised for the delay in responding! well at least i have a reply but now i am not sure if i have the confidence to buy from the again, well not without questioning all the treatments for the items.

Well that's good news for your GC. I'm pleased.

So far, I've received nothing, not even a "we're on the case" letter and today was the deadline so I've got no other options to report this to Trading Standards and ASA.

Very sad and this just reflects the lack of care that GemsTV have for their loyal customers.

Well that's good news for your GC. I'm pleased.

So far, I've received nothing, not even a "we're on the case" letter and today was the deadline so I've got no other options to report this to Trading Standards and ASA.

Very sad and this just reflects the lack of care that GemsTV have for their loyal customers.

When did you first email them about it? i emailed on 29/11!

I got home tonight to find a recorded delivery letter waiting.

I've had one VERY nasty shock about one item I've purchased and I will be contacting GemsTV further - I won't be posting on here because I think it's only fair to give them an opportunity to redress this first.

GC - the items we were discussing last night have come back as "awaiting information" so I'll let you know when I hear back on those.

Anybody else heard anything?

I was shocked today when channel hopping as I turned to Gems just as Nick was starting to auction a pair of "Evergreen Diamond" earrings. I recognised that name from here as being one of the ones mentioned as being coated. I watched with interest as he talked about them and gave all the usual spiel and guess what? Not once did he mention they were coated or treated in any way!! Guess they haven't learned a lesson yet!

By the way - 4 in the auction and NONE sold.

I got home tonight to find a recorded delivery letter waiting.

I've had one VERY nasty shock about one item I've purchased and I will be contacting GemsTV further - I won't be posting on here because I think it's only fair to give them an opportunity to redress this first.

GC - the items we were discussing last night have come back as "awaiting information" so I'll let you know when I hear back on those.

Anybody else heard anything?
I've had a recorded letter too Meesh which confirms that my coloured diamond rings are heat irradiated and not coated so I'm okay with that. However, my Majestic Ruby ring is still under investigation, they can't/won't say yet whether it's filled (or not) but have quoted some blurb from their website that they say was on there in 2006. That's not acceptable to me because it isn't specific enough and my argument is still that a treatment as serious as filling should have been stated at point of sale by the presenter or stated on the web auction if relevant to the item being sold. I am now awaiting further clarification from them regarding my MR.

However, my Majestic Ruby ring is still under investigation, they can't/won't say yet whether it's filled (or not) but have quoted some blurb from their website that they say was on there in 2006. That's not acceptable to me because it isn't specific enough and my argument is still that a treatment as serious as filling should have been stated at point of sale by the presenter or stated on the web auction if relevant to the item being sold. I am now awaiting further clarification from them regarding my MR.

I started a thread ages ago about this (perhaps before the crash?) because I took some gemstones to Hatton Garden to be valued and they told me then my Majestic Ruby was filled and wouldn't even give me a valuation on it. I was outraged at the time because the presenters were always banging on about this being their very best ruby, you can't buy better from Gems, blah di blah di blah. So I think there's every chance you'll find you'll find your ruby is filled, but I do hope not for you.
Changing the subject completely, your pussycats look absolutely adorable on your avatar. Do you risk letting them out, or are they indoor cats? I have two Tonkinese and after an accident to one of them, they are now strictly indoor only (with a run in the garden), they are far too precious for me to risk anything. Sorry to go off topic, couldn't resist it!

I started a thread ages ago about this (perhaps before the crash?) because I took some gemstones to Hatton Garden to be valued and they told me then my Majestic Ruby was filled and wouldn't even give me a valuation on it. I was outraged at the time because the presenters were always banging on about this being their very best ruby, you can't buy better from Gems, blah di blah di blah. So I think there's every chance you'll find you'll find your ruby is filled, but I do hope not for you.
Changing the subject completely, your pussycats look absolutely adorable on your avatar. Do you risk letting them out, or are they indoor cats? I have two Tonkinese and after an accident to one of them, they are now strictly indoor only (with a run in the garden), they are far too precious for me to risk anything. Sorry to go off topic, couldn't resist it!
:mysmilie_348: Jacqualina, I well remember that thread, we had some whatyoumacallits joining in
to stir things up....a lot!

I've not heard of Tonkinese before, any chance of some piccies please?

I think it will prove to be as well Jacqualina and if that's the case I want to return it for a refund or I'll lodge a complaint with Trading Standards/ASA if they refuse tio have it back. Alternatively I may sue them through the small claims court.

No I've never let my furries out to risk becomming roadkill and I have a run out the back for them too. I adore Tonkinese, they are stunning...could we have some photos posted in the Drop please??

Its a bit strange that all of us have items still under investigation surely they have all the info for all the items located in the same place?
Maybe they are fully aware these unanswered items are the ones we will be unhappy about!

cats & tat !!

No I've never let my furries out to risk becomming roadkill and I have a run out the back for them too. I adore Tonkinese, they are stunning...could we have some photos posted in the Drop please??

Sorry I am off topic too. I was curious about Tonkinese. They are beautiful, would love to see your piccy's. I love cats but don't have any now, terrible experience with our last puddy cat and it broke my heart. I have a tortoise, 12 chooks, 6 geese and a duck. Next year I have persuaded JP to let me have a couple of goats - yippee!

Back to topic, I am astounded by the bare faced cheek of these channels. There is no shame in treating / enhancing poorer quality stones but cloak and dagger selling practices really annoys me. I have only bought a few items which I think I have probably been stung hard on. I bought a quadruple A tanzanite about 4 years ago. It cost £199 and is 1.2cts in 18ct YG. So long as it doesn't fade, which I think Meeshoo says it shouldn't, I am not too worried. I have one pendant which I dare not ask about. My husband knows that I like rubies and he bought me a pendant about 5 years ago. It has about 40 cts of different shaped rubies in pinks to dark reds. I think he paid about £300 for that, maybe another £20 more or less. I am sure it is filled to within an inch of it's life at that price but I wouldn't like to tell him as he would feel that he had wasted the cash on tat. My Brother is a goldsmith and he would scold me if I told him about some of the stuff I have bought from Gems. He makes exquisite pieces but they have a price tag commensurate with the quality of the stones and his workmanship, so with school fees and everything else I can't buy too much from him.

I have now decided to set myself a limit of £100 for items on Gems, that way if the quality isn't there I won't be terribly upset. That tanzanite ring I bought I have now gone off, partly because I am dubious as to the quality, perhaps it was a load of hyphe and I was suckered. The setting is ugly on me too, so I have never worn it. If the stone checks out OK, I will have it re-set.

Meeshoo? Can you recommend a setter in the UK? My Brother would ask where I bought the stone and I can do without any more lectures! :)

Thanks Inge xx

:mysmilie_348: Jacqualina, I well remember that thread, we had some whatyoumacallits joining in
to stir things up....a lot!

I've not heard of Tonkinese before, any chance of some piccies please?

Tonkinese are a relatively new breed Sacha (1970s or 80's) and are a cross between Siamese and Burmese. They are recognised as a breed by the Cat Fancy and all the international cat shows. I've had both Siamese and Burmese cats in the past and these two really do have the best traits from both breeds and I completely adore them.
Am in The Netherlands at the moment, but will try to post some photos of my two Tonks when I get back. I've tried to post photos in The Drop before without success, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Tonks are gorgeous. I see them at the shows(Cat Shows). They have the body shape of the Burmese but different marks and eye colouring. I own Burmese, once nearly did get a Tonkie but decided to stick with my beloved Burmese.

Its a bit strange that all of us have items still under investigation surely they have all the info for all the items located in the same place?
Maybe they are fully aware these unanswered items are the ones we will be unhappy about!

Back to topic, I am astounded by the bare faced cheek of these channels. There is no shame in treating / enhancing poorer quality stones but cloak and dagger selling practices really annoys me. I have only bought a few items which I think I have probably been stung hard on. I bought a quadruple A tanzanite about 4 years ago. It cost £199 and is 1.2cts in 18ct YG. So long as it doesn't fade, which I think Meeshoo says it shouldn't, I am not too worried. I have one pendant which I dare not ask about. My husband knows that I like rubies and he bought me a pendant about 5 years ago. It has about 40 cts of different shaped rubies in pinks to dark reds. I think he paid about £300 for that, maybe another £20 more or less. I am sure it is filled to within an inch of it's life at that price but I wouldn't like to tell him as he would feel that he had wasted the cash on tat. My Brother is a goldsmith and he would scold me if I told him about some of the stuff I have bought from Gems. He makes exquisite pieces but they have a price tag commensurate with the quality of the stones and his workmanship, so with school fees and everything else I can't buy too much from him.

My Brother would ask where I bought the stone and I can do without any more lectures! :)

Thanks Inge xx
ALL cats are gorgeous, it's official!! :mysmilie_12: Anyway back to topic again as I'm sure GEMSTV would be delighted if the subject in hand got buried underneath our pussy chats, but do please start a lovely thread in the Drop.

Gemcherub, I too am mystified that the suits/experts/buyers/whoever at GEMS will not/cannot fully answer our questions and they appear to be taking the stand that all treatments were fully disclosed on their website, which is total bullsh*t as far as I am concerned as they certainly NEVER disclosed that Majestic Rubies were filled. This is the one item of mine that they are now hedging over. I have scanned the part of their letter to me which actually PROVES they did not disclose that Majestic Rubies were filled...please see the extract quoted from their website May 2006 which states Ruby - "Heated Occasionally With Additives".... the word "occasionally" is crucial here because it makes this statement far too generic and not acceptable as proof that they disclosed MRs were filled and my assumption from that info was that it was the cheaper rubies that were filled, and not the more expensive ones such as Majestic and Tanzanian. I will argue this point in court if needs be.

Ballerina, I can empathise with your post entirely as my partner had his own business in Hatton Garden for 20+ years and then a retail jewellery shop and he is diamond setter by trade and would be appalled if he knew the extent of how much I bought from GEMS over the years, so I just don't tell him. What a huge mistake on my part as I'm sure he would have taken one look at my MR and instantly been able to tell me the bad news.:mysmilie_81: BUT we shouldn't have to have our jewellery appraised by independant jewellers and should be able to trust these channels to disclose fully all the treatments specific to the pieces we are buying and that has just not happened time and time again. :mysmilie_73:

Extract of GEMSTV Ltr 11.12.09 re treatment of Ruby

Unfortunately at this time we have still not received the required treatment
information you have requested about product UTR9447 18K Majestic Ruby & Diamond White Gold Ring that you purchased back in May 2006
Although I can confirm that we did disclose the possible treatments on our treatments page back in May 2006, please see an extraction from our May 2006 web page.

Stone
Enhancement
Method
Ruby
Heated
Occasionally
With Additives.
Usually applied, this treatment produces, intensifies or
lightens colour and/or improves colour uniformity and/or
appearance. Examples of the additives used include
Beryllium (i.e. light element) to permanently improve
colour and Borax or Lead (i.e. glass) to permanently
improve appearance.

I will supply you with the actual treatment of Product UTR9447 as soon as our team in Thailand have located the relevant details from their archives.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Andrew Lovett
Customer Services Manager

They items they can't SEEM to find the details on for me are 2 Pad sapphires, they were sold to me as Pad sapphires and my question is are they genuine Pad sapphires (as sold to me) or are they in fact only Pad coloured sapphires!
Funny that info isn't handy isn't it!
I feel they have something to hide or they are trying to get out of/around it, i feel that if they can't tell me the answer in the 3 weeks i have been waiting then i want my money back, at the end of they day all the info for the other items are available so where has the info for these 2 items disappeared to?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back