US Open Tennis

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pinkpussycat

Meeoow....
Well tennis tarts are you ready!!?? :rock: The final Slam of the year is almost upon us (where has this year gone!?) and coverage begins at 4pm on SKY Eurosport. Will be a little flat for me without Rafa :sad: and realistically I can only see it being a two horse race but I'd love Del Potro to win. Raonic will be one to watch cos if he gets his huge serve working he can blast anyone off the court, even Juan Martin. Bring it on!! :rock:

I is a ready massa!
Sky 410 Mardy Fish is playing Soeda as I type.

Rafa out again is gutting.

What a shame Kim is out so soon. :sad: Yes I know Robson is one of ours but I'm not keen but have to accept she played very well last night and has some powerful shots combined with a very good serve. I think Kim was probably quite edgy knowing this was her last Slam and she put extra pressure on herself to do well because of her retirement announcement, imho I think she should have kept schtum until after the ATP World Tour Finals in November.

Wasn't the match between Tipsarevic and Rufin utterly absorbing!? :clapping: Del Potro, and my other Spanish hero Ferrer :heart:both had easy passages through but Raonic had a right tussle with Giraldo, but once he settles down I think he will show off his prowess on the court. Very easy win for Djokovic and happy that A-Rod won his match fairly easily too. Glad that bad tempered Hass is out. :up:I have to confess the tennis did rather take precedence over the Paralympics opening ceremony :blush: but I will be more absorbed once the events start today.

Blimey, that was stressful. There was me thinking I'd be going to bed after the second set because Andy was going to lose, and I had to stay up!! :)

Yes I was very disappointed with Cilic's result, he was in a great winning position taking that first set then being 5-1 up in the second but I had switched over anyway to watch the other Andy (the lovely and charismatic one) against Del Potro which was almost certainly going to be ARod's last match. He was very emotional in that last game and his wife was already in floods of tears, I was too. :sad: Farewell ARod it was a great 10 years watching and cheering you on and you will be sorely missed.

Berdych played fantastically well against Federer last night and I hope he maintains the same form in his next match with Ugly, against whom he has a winning record. Really looking forward to the Ferrer v Tipsy match later today. :up:

I was so hoping the quirky Bartoli was going to beat Sharapova yesterday, it was a great competitive match but the enjoyment was ruined for me by Sharapova's horrendously loud screeching. :angry: The WTA really should encourage opponents of these shriekers and grunters to make a complaint to the umpire if the noise is distrating them, and also give the umpires the power to impose penalty points if a warning to pipe down is ignored, it's the only way they're going to stop it.

Well done Tomas Berdych!
Federer ever modest said, 'I really expected myself to play better tonight. Especially at night, I have had such a great record'
!

My husband (soon to be ex) has got rid of Sky Sports so now I'm not going to be able to see any more of the tennis. ****** furious doesn't even begin to cover it!!

So happy for Murray! A fantastic match where he showed exactly what a brilliant tennis player he is. Well done Murray and I'm so looking forward to seeing him win Wimbledon

Andy Murray - Mens US Open Champion 2012 :rock:
It was a hard fought match Lippy and once again the elements favoured Ugly. He was able to complete his semi final on Saturday before the atrocious weather swept in and play had to be abandoned. Novak's match that followed against Ferrer was stopped in the first set and they had to play again on Sunday which imo is very unfair and down to poor scheduling by the officials. I know they have no control over the weather but they should have played both semis at the same time on Saturday on different courts to ensure a level playing field for all. Djokovic simply ran out of steam in the final imho. The bods in charge really must do something to stop this kind of disruption that seems to happen nearly every year :headbang: putting a bliddy roof on Ashe would be a good start. :rolleyes: Murray may now be able to play with the big 3 but he will never equal them, on or off the court.

What a load of drivel making excuses for players losing because of the weather. I have never heard of matches being played at the same time to make it a level playing field. I tend to judge sportsmen and women on ability not looks and I am thrilled for Murray and his support team.

Fyi I also judge on ability and I accept that Murray is a very good player but not a great one and he will never match the achievements of Federer, Nadal or Djokovic who are all supremely talented and all just happen to be very attractive men to boot. From a purely logistical pov Ugly has left it too late to equal or surpass their records of Grand Slam titles and you may not agree about the weather conditions having any bearing on matches (that wasn't actually the point I was making) but not having an equal amount of rest time between matches certainly does.

Good players should be able to cope with conditions it's no excuse for losing a match. Good looks are in the eye of the beholder and as far as I'm concerned Federer and Nadal fail miserably, a pair of sour pusses IMO.

The conditions weren't used as an excuse BB, neither by Djokovic or me. My point which you are choosing to ignore is that Novak was disadvantaged because of the bad weather because he had to play on two consecutive days before the final whereas Ugly had the advantage of a days rest in between so was obviously fresher for the final. Djokovic, Nadal and Federer never make excuses or invent sudden onset injuries when they are lose a match, unlike Ugly who is known for it.

You know as well as I do it would be impossible to do what you seem to be suggesting. These tournaments could go on for weeks if the players had to all have the same exact hours of rest and play. Players at this level have to be fit enough to get through tournaments whatever the weather etc. So once again well done Murray the best player GB has had for decades.

The conditions weren't used as an excuse BB, neither by Djokovic or me. My point which you are choosing to ignore is that Novak was disadvantaged because of the bad weather because he had to play on two consecutive days before the final whereas Ugly had the advantage of a days rest in between so was obviously fresher for the final. Djokovic, Nadal and Federer never make excuses or invent sudden onset injuries when they are lose a match, unlike Ugly who is known for it.

I'm well aware that Djokovic was having some sort of problems towards the end of the match because he kept trying to stretch his legs out, but to call on the trainer prior to Murray serving for the match was pretty poor in my opinion, despite it being a change of ends.

Andy Murray - Mens US Open Champion 2012 :rock:​

I'm well aware that Djokovic was having some sort of problems towards the end of the match because he kept trying to stretch his legs out, but to call on the trainer prior to Murray serving for the match was pretty poor in my opinion, despite it being a change of ends.

Andy Murray - Mens US Open Champion 2012 :rock:​

And he got booed for doing so!!!! He has done similar in the past too which is probably why he got booed so much for it last night!

You know as well as I do it would be impossible to do what you seem to be suggesting. These tournaments could go on for weeks if the players had to all have the same exact hours of rest and play.

It's not a question of all players having the same exact hours of rest and play as that is clearly impossible as some matches are over in 2 hours and others can take 5, so your comment is stupid. We are discussing what happened at the US Open and in the early rounds match scheduling is not such an issue as there is plenty of time to play catch up but at the semi final stage when there are only 4 players left and they know that bad weather is on the way it would have been an easy matter to schedule the two matches to be played concurrently, it's hardly rocket science. There are only 4 Slams a year and with so much at stake the scheduling in these vital tournaments needs to be looked at more carefully. Strangely enough the commentators also made this point but obviously you know better. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back