Very nervous first diamond purchase

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

V

Vienna

Guest Shopper
I wish I`d found this forum a couple of days ago before I ordered a diamond ring from Gems tv. I haven`t read every thread on here because there`s way too many but the ones I have read don`t have many positive comments about their diamonds.
This makes me very nervous about my purchase.
So my question is when the ring arrives what do I need to look for or know in order to suss whether it is a good or bad buy ?
I know very little about jewellery and especially about diamonds. How do I tell if the setting of the stones is good, the colour good or the ring is good ?
This is a supposed special ring for me, a crossover type band ring with step cut diamonds and round diamonds in it. The mini video on the site makes it look lovely but I haven`t seen the ring I`ve ordered in the studio on a live show.
All advice gratefully received and my apologies if these questions have been previously asked.

Vienna, if you open the box and feel that you couldn't live without the contents, I guess you have a winner.......BUT!! You'll feel happier if you know that you have the right balance of metal weight to stone weight and it would be good to know that the claws are strong enough to do their job. I hope that your diamonds ping with sparkle without being put under strong light. Some of the channels which sell jewellery are not known for the quality of their diamonds but I hope they enclose with your ring, details of the weight, colour and clarity. If you remain unsure, you could always take it to an independent jeweller and if you're not happy with what they say you can send it back. I hope your special ring is all you want it to be.

Thank you for replying to my thread. To be honest just a few hours after posting on here I contacted Gems to cancel my order for the diamond ring. As I said it`s for a special occasion and I didn`t want to be disappointed with it or have the occasion spoiled by having to return it and the trouble of searching again. It would have taken the pleasure out of the whole excitement of my husband buying me a diamond ring for our anniversary.
Had it been just a whim or a ring for no specific event then I`d have risked it.
So it`s off to the jewellers where I can at least try them on, feel the weight and see whether the diamonds do it for me or not.
I`ll still watch Gems now and again and will probably buy the odd pair of earrings or pendant or small gift for Xmas but such an important ring should be quality and I somehow doubt I`d get that through Gems.
BTW has anybody had any of their Anahi Ametrine ? I must say I like the look of it as a dress ring.

Vienna, when you go searching for, what I hope will be the perfect ring, don't immediately rush to those big Highstreet Names that are everywhere. IMO, you would be better off going to an independent jeweller. Take your time and go for the one whose window display appeals most-I love the Aladdin's cave type, you may prefer one with fewer, more strategically placed pieces. It's also very worthwhile looking at secondhand rings because tax isn't added to the price so they can be better value. I always buy secondhand and the jeweller, who I've come to know and trust, will buy back at the price I paid. Another point worth remembering is that a jeweller who knows his gems will always be happy to share his knowledge with you and will talk forever about cuts, carats, colour and clarity. I feel certain that you've made the right decision in cancelling your order and I'm sure you'll have much more fun looking at, and trying on before choosing THE ring. Happy hunting.

Thank you for replying to my thread. To be honest just a few hours after posting on here I contacted Gems to cancel my order for the diamond ring. As I said it`s for a special occasion and I didn`t want to be disappointed with it or have the occasion spoiled by having to return it and the trouble of searching again. It would have taken the pleasure out of the whole excitement of my husband buying me a diamond ring for our anniversary.
Had it been just a whim or a ring for no specific event then I`d have risked it.
So it`s off to the jewellers where I can at least try them on, feel the weight and see whether the diamonds do it for me or not.
I`ll still watch Gems now and again and will probably buy the odd pair of earrings or pendant or small gift for Xmas but such an important ring should be quality and I somehow doubt I`d get that through Gems.
BTW has anybody had any of their Anahi Ametrine ? I must say I like the look of it as a dress ring.

And congratulations on your forthcoming anniversary, it sounds a special one. Enjoy your jewellery shopping.

I made by first purchase today from Gems website, a rhodolite garnet ring and multi gem necklace set in silver. The gems always look good on TV and website, hope the quality is OK. Just sent a multi gem silver ring priced at over £80 back to QVC. and I have two items coming for one P & P, bit of a bargain compared to Q!!

Latest posts

Back