Waaaaaar !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I've suddenly noticed a different way of exaggerated pronunciation by several of the presenters.

Wear becomes waaaaaaar
(skin) Care becomes caaaaaaar

Alexis, Melissa, et al

Not a big deal, but when you start noticing something, it becomes the only thing you hear from then on :rolleyes:

What I can’t stand, apart from their exaggerated pronunciation, is the constant reference to things being singular. I don’t know if it’s an “Americanism” or I’m just out of the loop, but phrases like “a trouser” or wearing something with a “pump” sound so odd.

I don’t wear a trouser, I wear trousers. I don’t wear a pump, I wear a pair of them (although down here we don’t call them pumps.)

I don't wear 'pumps' either. Slip ons - yes, ballet shoes - yes. Pump is something I used to blow up my bike tyres. Equally, my 'purse' is NOT my handbag, and my 'pants' are NOT my trousers.

I just don't 'get' the term "booty" when referring to the backside. Where the Americans see the comparison is beyond me, yet they have no compunction in saying 'ass' !!! odd.

Because I have two feet I have a pair of pumps. Likewise my underwear are pants but as I wear trousers over them I have no need to refer to a pant unless I’m out of breath.

I used to get annoyed at upward inflection (I blame Neighbours) but Americanisms and talking like rappers/drug runners from the Bronx really really pisses me off.

The word "Gifting" really gets on my t**ts
It annoys so many & we think it's just one more Americanism but it's been a verb, especially common in Scottish English, for more than four centuries & is used as an alternative to endow.

It annoys so many & we think it's just one more Americanism but it's been a verb, especially common in Scottish English, for more than four centuries & is used as an alternative to endow.
Yes "he/she was gifted with beautiful hair,teeth "etc it's just in relation to presents .

I’m Scottish & no one I know says “Gifted”

So many sayings on shopping channels that people actually never use. "Jewellery wardrobe", "colourways", "pricepoints", "sifting n' gifting". Even though I watch a lot of shopping telly, none of these terms have made their way over to my vocabulary!

Latest posts

Back