What is an interim gift?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Flinty has just suggested that we buy a bracelet as an interim gift. Since I have neither given nor received one I wondered what the protocol was:confused2:

I'm sure she has no more idea what the bleep she's talking about than anyone else.

Something which fits inbetween the 5 months Q try selling us stuff for Christmas and the 5 months they try selling us stuff for Easter, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Summer holidays. They fill the small window in the year when there are no named days to buy for and obviously now they`ve invented something called interim ! Before you know it we`ll be seeing " Interim Cards " on sale in Clintons ...

I am baffled too!

I can only imagine she means a small token gift you give prior to gifting the "real" present.

Kind of like you have a distant cousin who has graduated, so you send her a bottle of Chanel perfume as an interim present, until you can find the time to select/purchase a Mulberry leather bag as her "real" present.

Kind of like a bridge gap.

Sounds like something Jill Franks might advocate!

Lol @ "interim gift." Sounds like it's the sort of gift you would buy someone when you actually have no reason whatsoever to buy them anything, other that to beef up QVC's sales figures, thereby supporting the continuity of the presenter's employment contract!

An interim gift is the sort if gift you get someone on the pretext that there will be a "real" gift some time later, when in fact you have no intention of buying a further gift!

Yes, that must be it! Cos there are times when a Northern Nights Duvet set, a Yankee or 17 and a truck load of Thorntons just aren't enough.

I was an estate agent for 22 years (1970 - 1992) - dealing with every conceivable type of person one could imagine on a daily basis, and like teaching, the job was extremely stressful but without the holidays ! and I was never bought a present. Why are teachers always singled out ?

Brissles you'll give hallmark ideas! Estate agent cards with "Have a deceptively spacious EA Day!" sentiments.

an interim present is something you give in that period of time in a relationship between the first date and the first "night of passion". Trouble is, from what I read on my teenage nieces' facebooks, both these occasions seem to occur simultaneously nowadays, so the "interim" might be only a matter of minutes ! :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

Possibly the estate no present thing is because as the client pays the estate agent directly for the service , the client feels they have paid enough out of their own pocket. It is only private schools where the parent would be paying directly for the service provided.

Do people really buy teachers gifts? Maybe I should become a teacher!

I saw an article about this the other day, the average spend is a tenner and you should play safe by going for flowers, wine or chocolates. Tough luck if you are a teacher who is allergic to flowers, doesn't drink and is on a diet.

I had two friends who shared a flat and were both teachers. One was in a private school and spoke lovingly of her pupils and was ever the optimist about them. The other taught in a really rough area and had a less rosy outlook. Just before Christmas one year, I popped round. One was showing off her up market gifts. I admired them and then asked as to the nature of a small plastic bowl on the table with a necklace in it. It turned out to be the present for the other teacher being soaked in disinfectant. "God knows where it came from".

Actually the teacher at the rough school was actually a dedicated teacher too but she liked to pretend not to be :)

When I was at school we bought collective gifts for teachers not one each. They typically brought in massive tins of sweets at end of year.

Brissles, I bought an estate agent a box of chocs once, she helped me with some random questions I just dropped in and asked in a mad moment and I felt ever so bad, so went back at xmas with some choccies, she was very touched and remembered me :) Im a bit mad though, I always buy my optician a cake when I've seen him as he is so brutally honest and has saved me a packet, where he could have given his employers product recomendations, so I always get him cake :)

Latest posts

Back