What sayings do you hate?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You put that one in earlier - bless (sorry couldn't resist, please forgive)! But I agree wholeheartedly, nowt wrong with "bless you" after a sneeze, or bless you as a means to say thank you, but bless on it's own sounds patronising and is a thin veil for a pi$$take.
There's a whole plethora of corporate speak I can't stand eg, low hanging fruit, blue sky thinking etc, but thankfully this kind of language is yet to spill out into the mainstream. I can't be doing with "teen speak" either eg, "That's sick, man"
Is it just me that can't stand the "on the planet" that's bandied around on tv shows a lot - and tonight, let's give it up for "the funniest guy on the planet" and in comes someone who's not even the funniest guy in the room!

Probably because I hate the expression so much. For me, these modern day, essentially empty terms of affection, plus people sending loving emoticons etc.- they've almost removed the need for actual demonstrative love and affection in the world that we live in now, and that' saddens me greatly. Why make a phone call or a personal visit when you can send a symbol to somebody via a text etc...

Probably because I hate the expression so much. For me, these modern day, essentially empty terms of affection, plus people sending loving emoticons etc.- they've almost removed the need for actual demonstrative love and affection in the world that we live in now, and that' saddens me greatly. Why make a phone call or a personal visit when you can send a symbol to somebody via a text etc...
I agree wholeheartedly and in fact I started a whole thread about this on this forum, mostly about how the word love has become an empty term of affection and is applied to everything from a hot cross bun to a work colleague you hardly know. The deeper meaning of love seems to have lost its way. Actions speak louder than words so throwing a few heart emojis around is pointless unless it's backed up by genuine real time feeling and contact (or at least an offer of contact).

Holibobs... I heard this today, said by somebody on IW with sh..for brains. Probably one of the most nauseating terms I have ever heard. Makes even reach for phosphorus hose gun terms like 'Simples' charming and amusing to the ear.

J
I agree wholeheartedly and in fact I started a whole thread about this on this forum, mostly about how the word love has become an empty term of affection and is applied to everything from a hot cross bun to a work colleague you hardly know. The deeper meaning of love seems to have lost its way. Actions speak louder than words so throwing a few heart emojis around is pointless unless it's backed up by genuine real time feeling and contact (or at least an offer of contact).
Jacqui Joseph says she loves and even adores all the Nina Leonard clothes. Not one item gets by without her saying it. It is absurd. She is absurd.

“With the greatest respect,” during a discussion or conversation, when the person saying it is unlikely be respectful at all. They’re likely to be disagreeing with what you’re saying.

‘If I am being honest’ …Footballer cliché parlance that has sadly spread to the mainstream conversational world.

There’s a young woman at work who keeps saying “no worries “ and it drives me bonkers. It’s Aussie soap/ young hipster speak. The trouble is , it appears to be contagious as I keep catching myself saying it and it’s got to stop! When my workplace used to spend money on customer service training many moons ago, we were told never to say “No worries/ problem” to a customer as it implies that there is a problem. We were instructed to use “you’re welcome, my pleasure, or that’s perfectly ok”.
There’s another lady at work who says “alrighty” and “okidoke” a lot - that grates too!

I particularly hate statements that begin, "I ain't gonna lie," even though I know that it means the same thing as, "to be honest/quite honestly," the former sounding so dreadfully chavvy. Thankfully, some irritating phrases quickly vanish, such as "$hit the bed" and "shut the front door." I've always adhered to "Blimey" or "good heavens/grief," but maybe these were awful terms in the past. I don't like the phrase "Don't even go there" while I'm here since it sounds so hostile.

I particularly hate statements that begin, "I ain't gonna lie," even though I know that it means the same thing as, "to be honest/quite honestly," the former sounding so dreadfully chavvy. Thankfully, some irritating phrases quickly vanish, such as "$hit the bed" and "shut the front door." I've always adhered to "Blimey" or "good heavens/grief," but maybe these were awful terms in the past. I don't like the phrase "Don't even go there" while I'm here since it sounds so hostile.
'Don’t get me started'. I wonder if people who say this have any valid comments to make. Could they get started? I doubt it.

What happened here? That's my what I wrote!

Latest posts

Back