Votes: 10 15.6%
  • 9-12 months

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • over a year

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WTF???????????

I understand the reverse auction format but for a ring to drop by virtually 50% from a previously sold price is outrageous. £10, £50 even you could accept (not like but accept) BUT over £200?????

I really hope that CS comes through for you Sue. It's just not on.

Well we'll see if they value good customers.....or not, Meesh. :pPC:

Well we'll see if they value good customers.....or not, Meesh. :pPC:

I really hope so Sue. I all but stopped buying over a year ago when things "changed" and good customers weren't valued. Let's hope in this current economic climate they realise that peeing off customers isn't the best thing to do and do the right thing by you.

I was (half) watching Fiona earlier in the day and noticed something going for about £129 which she said had recently gone for £ 359 and , I think, another item going for she said, around two hundred less than previously .... Fiona said then that it was " not to disrespect our earlier buyers, but that's the benefit of watching this special hour".... I was so taken aback by that, that I quite forget what the items were!

So much for the "olden days" when Gems gave their price guarantee! Humph!
PPC, I am not at all surprised you are livid, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a good outcome if I were you!

Maybe if CS don't come good, we could all bombard them with e-mails letting them know what we think of their shoddy attitude to their customers?

PPC I was just about to commend you on your beautiful choice of ring,it is stunning indeed.....................but to find that it is now being sold for a considerable(more than considerable really) amount less,you must feel absolutely gutted!:12:

It's not the first time this has happened,I believe Huggles also had a similar experience and it can sometimes take the gloss off your purchase......I would feel conned tbh.

I have noticed of recent times ie the last several months,that when new items come in,new gems and designs etc,that they sell for quite a high price compared the the usual GTV prices of old.It makes me think that they are making the money on those who buy first then they can afford to sell the rest of stock at much lower prices under the guise of 'special hours'.It would be better for all to get the best price from the get go rather than risk peeing off a number of customers to delight a few,bad business practice by GTV imo and not very transparent.

Fingers crossed that CS see it this way too or else they could lose not only you as a customer but also many of those who read these boards.

Last edited:
I can understand that you feel seriously cheated even though it's a beautiful ring. This must be happening quite a lot at the moment - a few months ago I saw a GORGEOUS Mexican Jelly Opal pendant weighing 11 carats go for only £333. Of course I wasn't quick enough, but it made me wonder at the £299 I spent on a little 1.7 carat one when Don was over selling them!
Really hope you get the difference back - do let us know.

I was (half) watching Fiona earlier in the day and noticed something going for about £129 which she said had recently gone for £ 359 and , I think, another item going for she said, around two hundred less than previously .... Fiona said then that it was " not to disrespect our earlier buyers, but that's the benefit of watching this special hour".... I was so taken aback by that, that I quite forget what the items were!

Yes I've heard presenters say similar and thought that it was a very tactless way to sell an item as it would totally pee off the people who bought at the previous obviously inflated price.....little knowing I would become one of them. :HUMP:
So much for the "olden days" when Gems gave their price guarantee! Humph!
PPC, I am not at all surprised you are livid, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a good outcome if I were you!

I notice that TJC are giving a 30 day mbg on the difference in price if you find the item cheaper (elsewhere), so at least you would be covered by them if the same thing happened. They used to call it Price Match which was axed but presumably their gaurantee would work in the same situation. I have recently begun buying again from GEMS and I hope they see the justice over this and do the right thing as their CS used to excel all the other channels and it would be good to report that they are still capable of excellence. :pPC:

PPC I was just about to commend you on your beautiful choice of ring,it is stunning indeed.....................but to find that it is now being sold for a considerable(more than considerable really) amount less,you must feel absolutely gutted!:12:

It's not the first time this has happened,I believe Huggles also had a similar experience and it can sometimes take the gloss off your purchase......I would feel conned tbh.

Yes I am feeling both of these emotions right now Sweetpea. :(

I have noticed of recent times ie the last several months,that when new items come in,new gems and designs etc,that they sell for quite a high price compared the the usual GTV prices of old.It makes me think that they are making the money on those who buy first then they can afford to sell the rest of stock at much lower prices under the guise of 'special hours'.It would be better for all to get the best price from the get go rather than risk peeing off a number of customers to delight a few,bad business practice by GTV imo and not very transparent.

In hindsight I can see that the price on this particular ring was obviously hiked because of the fact it was a heart design and was pushed up because of the Valentines Day promotion and tbh I did think the price was high for a 9ct ring, but I just loved it and paid the price. BUT there is hiking and hiking :YIKES: and this margin is just not acceptable. :28:

Fingers crossed that CS see it this way too or else they could lose not only you as a customer but also many of those who read these boards.

I like to think Sweetpea that I had a good relationship with GEMS i.e. they offered lots of lovely jewellery at good prices and I gave them lots of money in return lol :22: so fingers, legs, eyes :30: and everything else crossed. :pPC:

Hi Sue,

I do hope that Gems come good for you. Has this spoiled the ring for you?

I've noticed these huge price disparities a lot, and the fact that presenters treat it so lightly. Seems down right rude and offensive to me, almost having a laugh at a previous customer's expense. You might expect this sort of thing to happen in shop sales, but these are not shop sales. Unfortunately, I expect Gems have protected themselves from the law by continuing to call their selling methods "auctions".

Anyway, I hope you have some decent gesture from them (possibly even meeting you halfway would be fair). Buddy swines, whatever, and although I still watch out of interest from time to time, I can't see me ever buying again unless there is radical change.

Argey

At the end of the day if they give you £200 back you will more than likely spend it with them plus lots more future purchases, if they choose not to refund the money then they will loose a very valued customer along with all your future spends!
Come on gems make the sensible decision.

Hi Sue,

I do hope that Gems come good for you. Has this spoiled the ring for you?

It has and it hasn't Argey because I can still see the beauty of it even as I resent it, if you know what I mean. :34:
I've noticed these huge price disparities a lot, and the fact that presenters treat it so lightly. Seems down right rude and offensive to me, almost having a laugh at a previous customer's expense. You might expect this sort of thing to happen in shop sales, but these are not shop sales. Unfortunately, I expect Gems have protected themselves from the law by continuing to call their selling methods "auctions".

Yes, unfortunately that's exactly how it comes across. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope you have some decent gesture from them (possibly even meeting you halfway would be fair). Buddy swines, whatever, and although I still watch out of interest from time to time, I can't see me ever buying again unless there is radical change.

Argey

I stopped watching for months as well Argey but was then tempted back by buying a few spectacular Zultanite pieces on the web and kinda got hooked again. I also made my first foray into coloured diamonds and bought the most gorgeous blue diamond ring that I think must have been a one off as I haven't seen it again on the web. :pPC:

At the end of the day if they give you £200 back you will more than likely spend it with them plus lots more future purchases, if they choose not to refund the money then they will loose a very valued customer along with all your future spends!
Come on gems make the sensible decision.
This is quite true Gemcherub. They only have to look at my purchase history to see how much I spend. :YIKES: :pPC:

Ah ha! The penny's just dropped. This must be what they mean by "the price is really gonna rock your world". Perhaps too "the phones are ram busy" which I had always thought was an Adina made up expression, must actually mean that people are literally ramming the phone system trying to get their money back.

Well it certainly rocked my world when I saw it go for £200 less. :rolleyes: And isn't is strange that the ring made a reappearance at 21.15 on the very evening after I had shown it off on here at 4pm?? :33: Either a very unlikely coincidence or someone had been reading this forum......... :pPC:

I've just caught up with this thread. So sorry Sue that you beautiful ring has now been tarnished in your eyes. I do hope Gems comes through for you and refunds the difference and thereby keeps a loyal and valued customer. I would think with the current economic situation they'd be doing all they can to keep their customers, not drive them away! A £200 price difference is not on, is it? :hump:

Having said all that I do love the contrast between the white and pink diamonds and of course the heart shape is always a winner. I hope you can get some enjoyment out of wearing it hon.

Now, where's the photo of the gorgeous blue diamond? :faintsmilie:

Hell's bells......

I can't believe the coincidence that they put your ring on again last night Sue, not that long after you had posted about it!
I'd already had a look in the 'shop' and it wasn't listed there and so assumed it was likely all sold out.

I missed seeing it on the auction last night (was watching a George Clooney film instead!) and wonder
was it a very limited quantity or just a one off..... a return maybe?

But having just looked the specs on your earlier link and also recalling the prices some much smaller style rings with far far less diamond weight and gold weight have gone for, I can't help but think that the price you paid was a sensible one. So whoever
bought last night must be chuffed to bits.......which is of no consolation to you, of course. :31:

I was in a similar situation a long while back having bought a green diamond ring off a live TV auction, got it home and loved it,
but within a couple of days I then saw it on the web at nearly £200 cheaper......actually whilst in the midst of posting here!
(Fluff may recall). I rang immediately and the CS manager spoke to 'them upstairs' but they had already stopped
the price matching system and could only suggest that I purchase a second one off the web and return the dearer one.
Which I did.

So
fingerscrossed.gif
for you Sue and really hope you get a successful outcome, but in reality they may refuse
as the other original purchasers could also make the same request! :33:

Attachments

• P1000016.jpg
    P1000016.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Oooh lovely ring Sacha. I've got that one too - great taste eh? Please don't tell me how much you paid in the end! :lolwave:

I was watching Gems.TV on the web for a change last night...first time in ages. I saw the same ring as PPC's heart shaped pink diamond ring come up on the web page and turned on the TV to watch it in real life, and guess what? The item details were wrong on the web, what they actually auctioned was a yellow diamond band ring and it went down to £290 approx when it sold...could this have been the auction you saw PPC? If you were watching on the web page then you wouldn't have known it was a different ring? I must add, however, when my pink diamond ring sold for £200 less than I paid outwith 10 days of my purchase (a day after), Gems TV couldn't have cared less about me saying I wouldn't want to shop with them again if they didn't sort it to my satisfaction...I thought I had been a very good customer with my numerous purchases of thousands of pounds and it counted for nothing. I wish you well in your attempt to be compensated, PPC, and if you do get the difference credited to you I will be pleased for you but even more disgusted in Gems.TV if they can do it for you and not for me.

Well imho Sacha I think they should treat any request such as mine on an individual basis and make a decision based on whether they wish to maintain a good relationship with a customer who is willing to spend a lot of money with them. I'm not suggesting that I am a better customer than anyone else who paid the same price but as there were only 5 of these rings anyway that were auctioned on 7th February, even if they were contacted by all 5 buyers (highly unlikely) they would still only be losing £1000, but keeping the goodwill of 5 people who would be happy to keep spending. A small loss but a huge gain for them.

Btw I love that green diamond ring, you and Mel are very lucky to own that...I saw it on the web and bloomin well missed it!! :D :pPC:

Latest posts

Back