Where to sell gold?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
I have a gold necklace about 4grms in weight. The links have now broken twice so I would rather sell it for scrap than risk losing it.
I see the online price is just under £12 a gram today. I am abit concerned about posting it. Do local jewellers buy for as competitive prices as online?

There used to be lots of gold buying shops on the high street but thinking about it most now have closed down

Personally I would ask (maybe phone for a rough ball park figure) a reputable local jeweller rather than post it to some unknown place even if it gave a few pounds more. When you take registered post costs into consideration it may be a safer option.

All done. It weighed 3 grams on their scales. Got £25 for it. It had hollow links so that was why it was breaking. The saleswoman said that with the online sites they sometimes tell you it weighed less!

Gold etc is weighed in TROY OUNCES which are different to AVOIRDUPOIS OUNCES which are the "everyday" ounces. And because these are different ounces, then the grams as used by jewellers will also be different from ordinary grams. The gold price is quoted internationally in dollars per ounce.

There are loads of conversion tables and complicated historical explanations online.

You can google for more information using the above terms if you wish.

Gold at the moment is £1043 per ounce, or £33-55 per gram (the price varies by the minute).

But these are for PURE 24ct gold, so 9ct would be £12-58 per gram.

This price assumes you can sell it as an international bullion dealer, otherwise various people will take their cuts from this.

B

At least when you actually go into a shop you know there and then what they are giving you, you make up your mind and either walk out with the money or your jewellery.

Latest posts

Back