White denim

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
What is all that bollox that Ruthie keeps going on about regarding white denim? We can’t call it denim because it’s not denim it’s cotton twill. Ok, so “her” jacket is a cotton twill but it doesn’t mean that white denim isn’t actually a thing, but the way she goes on, you’d believe that it isn’t. I’m pretty sure it is and Levi’s do jeans and jackets in white denim, or they did in the past. Ruth obviously can’t source white denim for her range, so she tries to make us think that you can’t get it anywhere, so you might as well settle for one of her crappy twill ones. It’s all very weird- am I the only one to noice this laid of old bull?!

Even if what she’s saying is technically correct, her cotton twill jacket looks a much lighter and thinner fabric, so I’d feel a bit short changed. Even though I’m sure white denim is a thing, technicality or not you can buy yourself a white jean jacket of a similar weight and composition to a regular blue or indigo one, no need to settle for less.

I had a wee look at Levis, they call their non denim white jacket a trucker jacket so maybe "denim" has to be blue. Saying that, you know what, I've always wanted a pair of red label levis and I'm going to buy some. The faded ones. Smug :p

CC

Isn't denim dyed at source with Indigo when the cotton has been spun ? I suppose there 'could' be a white denim - before its been dyed.

I know I've mentioned it before on here, but seeing Ruthless in her red 'twill' faux denim jacket, it was so short it was only a few inches below her armpit ! Yet when she first brought out the range she made a big production of saying how her version was more grown up and would be longer to fit a more mature figure. That clearly didn't last then did it.

Personally I've never been big on denim, apart from owning a couple of pairs of jeans. My fav fabric in my youth was corduroy. I had a lush pair of white cords, absolute rubbish to keep clean but they made me feel great.

If the thread was the same weight, I think probably she could call it Denim. It doesn't have to be blue, but the yarn has to be a heavy duty yarn... so I expect it is lighter duty fabric, woven from a lighter duty yarn. For the prices of jackets in the range you would think they could stretch to the real deal.

Maybe industry standards say denim has to be a thick, strong fabric so she has to be careful how she describes her light cotton pair of jeans, trades description and so on. I've also got white twill trousers that are lighter in weight that no way could I describe as denim, compared with my denim jeans.

Maybe industry standards say denim has to be a thick, strong fabric so she has to be careful how she describes her light cotton pair of jeans, trades description and so on. I've also got white twill trousers that are lighter in weight that no way could I describe as denim, compared with my denim jeans.
And the attraction of white denim is usually that it is genuinely opaque, unlike far too many white summer garments!

I remember my friend having a pair of white jeans years ago, and they looked fab on her. I didn't ever "feel" them but they looked exactly the same as denim only white. Maybe white denim is regular denim that's been bleached until it's white. I know you can get various "washes", so this is a possibility. I've googled white denim jackets, some are described as trucker jackets (but I think that refers to the style), some as Jean jackets and some as denim jackets and that includes the white ones. Is it ok to describe it as a denim jacket in writing, but you're not allowed to say it? Confusing. Ruth makes such a bit thing about it every time.
It began when she started telling us that the white denim jacket was such a frequent request from her customers, that she had to do one. I applaud her for being honest, in that someone ordering what they think is a white denim jacket might be cheesed off to receive a lighter weight cotton one...but I'm sure like MML pointed out those who asked for a white denim jacket are looking for an opaque jacket that they can also wear outside of the summer months.

Believe it or not, I'm not averse to some of Ruth's designs, and dare I say, some of them are actually thoughtful....but her prices are ludicrous. I'd be willing to try out a few pieces if they weren't so overpriced and have postage and packaging slammed onto to every item. I think her stuff looks well made, and I love some of the attention to detail, the linings and chain hanging hook inside her jackets, even the orange soles on her trainers. Like me she's not a fan of tops and dresses that expose cleavage, and I like that her hi-lo is subtle on most of her shirts, and on the whole her colour palette is bright and varied. What I don't like is her over use of poly elastin and her building society prints, and tbh I'm not sure i'd want any visible RL branding, but as I said I certainly would consider buying a few of her bits.
The prices will remain high because she's got an army of fans who think the sun shines out of her backside and will pay any price, especially if it means they'll get a mention on telly if they tweet or text in! Yesterday she was selling a lightweight parka that she described as a utility jacket and it was £75 + postage. It looked light and flimsy and shouldn't have been more than £30 imvho - It sold out on its first airing....nuts!

The cotton material we call denim originally came from France & its name is a mush up of serge de Nimes & it's blue because the white cotton was dyed with indigo petals. 'Denim' is not patented, the only patent is the one Levi Strauss was granted for their trousers with rivets - jeans. I have a number of different colour jackets, all of them had denim in the description, & none had a warning that I could only call them twill.

Latest posts

Back