Who’s going to the Feeling Fabulous With Ruth???

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree TLL that yes, women have been second class citizens for decades, so its right we have a level playing field - HOWEVER, like it or not, there are things that men are simply better at ! On the one hand I don't mind listening to Hazel Irvine being a presenter of snooker, or Clare Balding on horse racing, but football/rugby/cricket is best reported on by men.

Erics Mum said she doesn't like watching women playing mens sports, and coincidentally today I was invited to a VPs lunch at a local Rugby Club. This very subject was discussed by myself and my friend (wife of a VP) who invited me. The Club has a ladies team - some were in attendance, a few of whom were downright beefy which created the conversation. Yes, women should be able to play whatever sport they wish, but we both agreed that watching these male dominated sports makes uncomfortable watching ladies taking part. Swishy ponytails as they lunge each other to the ground just doesn't make me want to watch.

On another tac, I also heard today that Morris Men can no longer be referred to as 'men'. They are now either Morris dancers or the name of their area with Morris on the end, ie Anytown Morris, making way for ladies to partake - although they already have their own groups.

Totally agree. I am ALL for equality. Men and women are different in so many ways but if they do the same job they should be paid the same wage. Can't we have equality AND common sense?

There are some jobs that a woman physically cannot do - Mr AE worked in heavy industry. They employed a woman to do the same job but the 'boys' knew she wouldn't be able to do some of the heavy stuff they did so they ended up doing her work for her while she sat on the sidelines. Why the bosses insisted on putting her in that job we'll never know, especially as there were plenty of different jobs more suitable and on the same pay grade in the department. At least they built a separate loo and changing room for her.

This political correctness with things like Morris Men, Bin men, and even ships really winds me up. I'm relieved some sense is being talked about men that 'identify' as women not being able to play in sports where their size and male physicality give them an advantage or can make them dangerous (Google Fallon Fox). However, I have no problem with mixed teams where all agree.

Some 'feminists' take it too far. If there is a mixed Morris group, why not join that rather than insist on joining male-only groups? The same goes the other way. We all played together in the playground until we started growing up when it all of a sudden became a battle of the sexes.

I miss a man's voice in the background when sports are on, too.

Don't get me started on the Beeb replacing two decent male DJs with the awful Zoe Ball and even worse Sara Cox. Simon Mayo used to make getting stuck in a traffic jam bearable. I'd look around an a standstill motorway and see others laughing at the confessions along with me.
I still listen to Simon on the drive time show on Greatest Hits radio, 4 to 7 every day and he still has the confessions on. I can highly recommend it, brilliant show

So many women do this - wear tops in particular that are stretched to kingdom come across their backs, and show every belly bulge. Ruth is constantly pulling down her tops, and like Mam says, its all a bit 'middle aged' - or what we used to believe what middle aged looked like - my Mum back in the 70s.

I'm a size anywhere between 18-22 depending on brand, but I always size up because a) clothes are being made smaller, and b) I don't want them to fit where they touch.

Another 'beef' of mine is the sizing of bras. The past few years have seen all brands go up to a size G and H cup size , BUT only up to a 38". So what the hell are the rest of us suppose to do who are 40/42/44/46 ?

Go into any supermarket and you're lucky to find a 40" let alone a 44" . In, M & S, and John Lewis you have to really rummage through the racks to find a larger size. I'm a 44DD and I end up with a permanent stoop coming out of the shops - empty handed. I have to resort to the likes of Kaleidoscope paying through the nose for a choice of half a dozen - generally Miss Mary of Sweden - boring !

I was 71 last week so about 20 years older than Ruthless and I think her stuff is very fuddy duddy and wouldn’t buy it. Any photoshoots she does which doesn’t include her Q range she is much more modern and less straightjacket .

Dont get me started on bras. I need a 44 for my back but only an A or B cup and this is impossible to get off the shelf so I have to use those extender things. Again I think the sizing isn't was it was as I have old 40 ones which fit better than modern 42 or even 44.

That's the thing LATI "off the shelf" don't cater for broad backs ! yet looking around there are plenty of big and obese young girls who have far bigger backs than me, so what do they do ??? I agree with you also on the recent sizing. I have coloured bras (rarely worn) from years ago that still fit ok and are a 40", so clearly manufacturing of all fashion in recent years is rubbish.

I was 71 last week so about 20 years older than Ruthless and I think her stuff is very fuddy duddy and wouldn’t buy it. Any photoshoots she does which doesn’t include her Q range she is much more modern and less straightjacket .

Dont get me started on bras. I need a 44 for my back but only an A or B cup and this is impossible to get off the shelf so I have to use those extender things. Again I think the sizing isn't was it was as I have old 40 ones which fit better than modern 42 or even 44.
I`m the same and have a broad back (42) but only need a small cup size. I`ve had a few bras from this website , they do some well known brands and there are some good prices as well as higher priced bras. The last one I got was a Naturana brand and very comfortable. Worth having a browse.

I miss a man's voice in the background when sports are on, too.

Don't get me started on the Beeb replacing two decent male DJs with the awful Zoe Ball and even worse Sara Cox. Simon Mayo used to make getting stuck in a traffic jam bearable. I'd look around an a standstill motorway and see others laughing at the confessions along with me.
I can't listen to Zoe Ball nor Sara Cox, whom I don't find funny at all. Ken Bruce is my favourite, and when he leaves I won't be listening to Radio 2 any longer, as I don't like the rest of them.

So many women do this - wear tops in particular that are stretched to kingdom come across their backs, and show every belly bulge. Ruth is constantly pulling down her tops, and like Mam says, its all a bit 'middle aged' - or what we used to believe what middle aged looked like - my Mum back in the 70s.

I'm a size anywhere between 18-22 depending on brand, but I always size up because a) clothes are being made smaller, and b) I don't want them to fit where they touch.

Another 'beef' of mine is the sizing of bras. The past few years have seen all brands go up to a size G and H cup size , BUT only up to a 38". So what the hell are the rest of us suppose to do who are 40/42/44/46 ?

Go into any supermarket and you're lucky to find a 40" let alone a 44" . In, M & S, and John Lewis you have to really rummage through the racks to find a larger size. I'm a 44DD and I end up with a permanent stoop coming out of the shops - empty handed. I have to resort to the likes of Kaleidoscope paying through the nose for a choice of half a dozen - generally Miss Mary of Sweden - boring !
M&S do size 40 bras easy to get loads in the sale. I like the seamless bras in various skin tones and loads of other prettier designs.I find it sometimes better to get items in the sale online. Its a very good service free click n collect to your nearest store even the smaller stores that only sell food. I also have a SPARKS card loads of freebies and discounts on items that they see you regularly buy.

Yes, I agree and being on Facebook you get bombarded with images of large young ladies modelling their wonderful purchases from Primark etc under the heading "we've found the cutest summer top/dress for the curvy girl and we're obsessed" Cue picture of very large lass with her bazoomers literally bursting out of the top of her dress, an enormous stomach encased in what can only be described as a sausage skin, or even worse than that bare belly fat and spare tyres which the term muffin top wouldn't even begin to describe!
Among the chorus of "Go girl" "you look fabulous" "amazing" etc etc, you'll get comments from those who dare tell the truth, yes, some of the comments are brutally unkind and whilst I don't condone that, fgs really - Should these ladies be encouraged to go out in public looking like nothing on earth? I wish someone could actually promote properly flattering clothes for the plus sized girl!
Bras? I discovered Ahh bras many years ago and I've never looked back, they are perfect for me, though I'm not very well endowed and find a size medium is perfect. They're so comfortable and in my experience offer as much support as a regular bra!

We now live in a society to be "body positive" regardless. So all bodies are to be temples of worship. So that's health out of the window if you're big enough to be weighed at the vehicle weigh station ! Excuses for over eating are boundless - thyroid, over active glands, depression etc etc.

Funny how 50 and 60 years ago there were far less obese people walking the streets - there must have been thyroid, over active glands, depression back then too ! Perhaps we females used mirrors before we went out to see what we looked like, as our main aim was to attract a fella, and given that most blokes had an aversion to going out with an overweight girl, we were more mindful in what clothes we wore and how we looked before going out ! I think it was called pride in appearance.

The quality of peoples diets these days leaves a lot to be desired. Don`t get me wrong, I can love a takeaway curry now and again or a meal in a nice restaurant but they`re rare treats and I tend to cook most nights.
Mr V works as a part time taxi driver and loses count of how many Mums with young kids he collects in the mornings and before they take their kids to school they ask him to go to a McDonalds drive through to buy breakfast for her and the children. It`s often the same after school when they ask him to call at the drive through for the kids tea.
Add to that the number of families which use the likes of Uber eats or other takeaway services and the number of times per week they use them and that`s an awful lot of junk food being consumed.
My next door neighbour has 4 children and neither she nor her boyfriend works, they live off benefits and at least 3 or 4 nights a week we see delivery drivers calling with food. Her oldest child is only 9 and she is huge, as is my neighbour and she`s only 26. On the days they don`t order takeaway you see the kids walking around eating sandwiches and crisps or something out of a packet.
She never seems to cook anything and even though she`s young and already has 4 kids she says she wants more. Her boyfriend on the other hand is as skinny as a rake but that`s probably down to the quantity of weed he`s always smoking.
We also live directly opposite a primary school and nursery and I see quite a number of huge young Mums and they don`t care how they dress. Through hot weather they turn up wearing next to nothing and it isn`t a pretty sight. I despair at not only the way they dress but how so many younger people and their children are going to suffer all kinds of illnesses at too young of an age and how some of them won`t live to see old age.
The owner of the company Mr V drives for is just 45 and a short time ago he had a heart attack because he weighed 20 stone, smoked and drank heavily. The Consultant told him the next heart attack would kill him and not only that but his kidneys and liver are also in bad ways through his poor lifestyle. He has since lost 6 stones and has quit drinking but still smokes but nowhere near as many cigs as he used to. Hopefully one day he`ll quit and will keep on the straight and narrow and live a long life.

Missed the first half hour of the Ruthless show, but it sounds like there were several 'tweets' about the Feeling Fabulous day(s). However, Jackie showed some photos of fans being snapped with their exulted selves, and yet, looking in the background of the photos there were very few people about. So, I wonder if it was a big hit !
Wish I'd seen that. Airport waiting lounge comes to mind....in (JAnuary)

I still listen to Simon on the drive time show on Greatest Hits radio, 4 to 7 every day and he still has the confessions on. I can highly recommend it, brilliant show

Really? I thought he'd gone to Scala or something. You've made my day (y) Thank you:love:

My friend is a 46B and has huge problems finding bras to fit. She generally ends up in a 42 at M&S. She orders a handful of bras in anything from a 40 to 44 in various cup sizes keeps the best-fitting and returns the rest. The worst torture device, sorry, bra she's ever worn was an expensive mistake from Bravissimo where she was measured as a 36G. It nearly cut her in half and puckered in the cups but she bought it out of embarrassment/obligation for the 'free' fitting service!

I can't listen to Zoe Ball nor Sara Cox, whom I don't find funny at all. Ken Bruce is my favourite, and when he leaves I won't be listening to Radio 2 any longer, as I don't like the rest of them.

He's my fave, too. I can just about stick Steve Wright as he has a few people in with him but he's getting increasingly annoying as he cuts songs short or talks over them. Gary Davies is okay- I liked him in my Radio One days. Bob Harris has got me into Country and Johnnie Walker along with Paul Gambaccini can bring back fond memories.

The radio goes off when Michael Ball is on. He reminds me of Julia R with the sarky, passive-aggressive comments. Quite unpleasant at times.

Yes, I agree and being on Facebook you get bombarded with images of large young ladies modelling their wonderful purchases from Primark etc under the heading "we've found the cutest summer top/dress for the curvy girl and we're obsessed" Cue picture of very large lass with her bazoomers literally bursting out of the top of her dress, an enormous stomach encased in what can only be described as a sausage skin, or even worse than that bare belly fat and spare tyres which the term muffin top wouldn't even begin to describe!
Among the chorus of "Go girl" "you look fabulous" "amazing" etc etc, you'll get comments from those who dare tell the truth, yes, some of the comments are brutally unkind and whilst I don't condone that, fgs really - Should these ladies be encouraged to go out in public looking like nothing on earth? I wish someone could actually promote properly flattering clothes for the plus sized girl!
Bras? I discovered Ahh bras many years ago and I've never looked back, they are perfect for me, though I'm not very well endowed and find a size medium is perfect. They're so comfortable and in my experience offer as much support as a regular bra!

I got invited to an 18th birthday a few years before Covid. I was absolutely shocked at number of obese girls wearing clothes with a lot of skin being squeezed out of on show. All of them proud that they'd 'lost a bit of weight' so they could get into a smaller size when they clearly should have gone for a bigger size that fitted. At that age my best friend and I were too embarrassed with out size 10/12 'thunder thighs' to wear shorts!

I like the Ahh bra types though get them from M&S for a LOT less (I do believe a three-pack currently has 30% off at the moment. They come under crop-tops). They're great around the house but as I'm a 'main beam' type I won't wear an unpadded bra out as I still get unwanted stares at my age.

Since Lockdown I've discovered their Flexifit non-wired crop tops. They're smooth all round and don't show through clothes back or front. Padded, a nice bit of support and easy to step into, though my friend pulls hers on over the top as she has very wide hips. They have mixed reviews with people saying the band is too small but I've found they give quite a bit after the first wear so have sized down.

We now live in a society to be "body positive" regardless. So all bodies are to be temples of worship. So that's health out of the window if you're big enough to be weighed at the vehicle weigh station ! Excuses for over eating are boundless - thyroid, over active glands, depression etc etc.

Funny how 50 and 60 years ago there were far less obese people walking the streets - there must have been thyroid, over active glands, depression back then too ! Perhaps we females used mirrors before we went out to see what we looked like, as our main aim was to attract a fella, and given that most blokes had an aversion to going out with an overweight girl, we were more mindful in what clothes we wore and how we looked before going out ! I think it was called pride in appearance.

Yes! Some blokes wouldn't be seen dead with a plumper girl for fear of getting a ribbing from his friends! My friend was a size 8, very tall and skinny, yet her boyfriend (then husband) kept on and on about her needing to lose weight. He ruined her confidence. I'm glad these days that controlling behaviour like this is being called out.

My ex was similar. He'd tell me to lose weight as I was too fat (size 12 the most and I'm 5'11"), I would, then he'd complain I was too skinny at size 10. Best weight loss diet I ever did was getting rid of him!

Mirrors. Checked from every angle before we'd go out. I think some girls these days don't even bother to put the light on before getting dressed let alone look in the mirror unless it's to trowel on orange make-up and thickly drawn brows.

I did notice something odd in the Evans changing rooms a few years ago. I'd gone with a friend whose daughter wanted something to wear to the 18th birthday party I mentioned in an earlier post. The cubicles had individual mirrors but there was also a large full-length mirror in the changing room outside the cubicles. We'd gone in to check her outfit out as it was dead in there. We both did a double-take in the big mirror as it made us look a LOT smaller than any other mirror we'd looked in. Smoke and mirrors indeed!

I think Ruth is 62.

Latest posts

Back